Coaching Want a winning coach? Sit back, watch LSU'S HC search and learn

Advertisement
People need to stop overrating and sucking off the SEC. LSU with all their so called resources aren't the powerhouse many are making them out to be.
Saban wasn't a bigtime hire when they got him.
Neither was Miles who backed into a title game with 2 losses.
We've had better coaches, teams, players and more titles than them.
That would be the case comparing us to any school not named Alabama. They hired a bunch of corches too. You can't teach that passion they have for anything LSU. I personally have never seen anything that compares. Not even Bama or OSU.

I wouldn't underestimate ANY programs ability to mess up a coaching hire.

They messed up 2 years ago by hiring O...

Joe Brady will not be coming back to college for ANY HC job for as long as he can stay an OC in the NFL.

This. I’m sure colleges will reach out to him - but from lsu fans, I’ve heard he hated recruiting and is a pro guy. That said, I do wonder if he has any affinity for staying at home (Miami).

Advertisement
They have done nothing to prove they are the model to follow.

Hmmmm 🤔

Recently on 3 separate occasions They've hired coaches that have won 3 National Championships.

Although the last search was internal and not national ( Coach O), they still won a National Championship.

Any reasonable person would admit that they are doing something right...and at the very least doing MUCH BETTER than we've been doing

Last edited:
Brady is a very risky hire for any P5 program, especially if you're in the SEC....Believe it or not, he is less risky hire for an NFL franchise because at that level you have an unlimited number of coaches you can hire for your staff, including the Grey beards at position and coordinator that you are not specialized in. Also, player acquisition is less on you at the NFL level and more on the front office doing legwork in preparation for a process (draft) where you don't have to recruit and kiss 18 year old dummy's backside.
@MedleyCane youve always been a great resource bringing some legit candidates to our attention

You still doing that or are you punched out at this point? (Wouldn’t blame ya)

Advertisement
While we don't have anything near LSU's resources and attractiveness, there is something that we can learn about how to find a winning HC from them.

LSU is a simple animal, focused only on winning BIG.

LSU has goals, knows who and what they are...and ACCEPTS REALITY

LSU will conduct a national search reviewing ALL potential candidates.

LSU will not allow nits and perceived flaws of potential candidates remove them from consideration IF they are winners.

LSU made it known EARLY during the season that they are replacing their current HC to maximize awareness of their open position.

We need to adjust our attitude IF we really are seeking to improve our program. Knowing who and what you really are allows you to focus on candidates who can win at your program as it exists today.

There is nothing about coaching here at Miami that a good outsider cannot quickly learn or adapt to. A true winner can win anywhere.

Reality is that we will NOT attract the most attractive top tier candidates out there. Especially those who are currently winning, used to excellent facilities and total Universitywide focus on making the football program great. That has never existed here in the past and won't in the future.

But there are plenty of coaches who will view our facilities as adequate and who are used to doing and getting more out of less. Winners who can bring a winning culture back here with DEEDS...not words. Driven winners who just want a chance to show what they can do if given a chance.

The sooner we get word out that we are seeking a change, the better off this program, our existing players, our recruits and especially the potential candidates contemplating making a move will be.
I agree with you about LSU and how they will conduct a search. Why? Because money is of no object to LSU boosters. However, if this is going to happen at UM during or after this season (I'm not convinced it will happen), then Blake James needs to be terminated first. Hiring a new HC before you replace the AD is a very bad idea. Especially when you consider the next AD will have to hire a Men's Basketball Coach in 2-4 years and possibly a Men's Baseball Coach in 2-3 years. Replacing Manny is a band-aid approach to the sports issues at UM. Time to get set for the future and hiring an AD is very challenging. I remember when Sam Jankovich retired and Dave Maggard accepted the job, what a jerk. Blake James is a better AD than Maggard, so beware of these pending changes.

This. I’m sure colleges will reach out to him - but from lsu fans, I’ve heard he hated recruiting and is a pro guy. That said, I do wonder if he has any affinity for staying at home (Miami).
Last I was with him he told me the last thing he ever wants to do is texting a bunch of 16 year olds trying to sell them something.

No Billy Napier?
Napier isn’t the first choice for LSU, they’re a big time program & they’re a highly attractive program which means they can essentially get the pick of litter as far as coaches is concerned.

Some of the people on the inside in Baton Rouge like Napier because of what he’s done at Lafayette, but LSU is a premier job & there are others within their upper brass that want a big name coach that will continue to attract 5-star recruits.

Napier may still get the job, but they are still going to interview Jumbo Fisher, Joe Brady & James Franklin & make them turn it down before a decision is made.

Maybe we can just have LSU do their search and then beg them to tell us who #2 was on their list and then go after him?
We can’t afford their #2. We would likely ask them for page 2 of their candidates

Advertisement
I agree with you about LSU and how they will conduct a search. Why? Because money is of no object to LSU boosters. However, if this is going to happen at UM during or after this season (I'm not convinced it will happen), then Blake James needs to be terminated first. Hiring a new HC before you replace the AD is a very bad idea. Especially when you consider the next AD will have to hire a Men's Basketball Coach in 2-4 years and possibly a Men's Baseball Coach in 2-3 years. Replacing Manny is a band-aid approach to the sports issues at UM. Time to get set for the future and hiring an AD is very challenging. I remember when Sam Jankovich retired and Dave Maggard accepted the job, what a jerk. Blake James is a better AD than Maggard, so beware of these pending changes.
I’d temper expectations on hiring a new baseball coach for the foreseeable future. This one is going to have a very long leash

@MedleyCane youve always been a great resource bringing some legit candidates to our attention

You still doing that or are you punched out at this point? (Wouldn’t blame ya)

Appreciate your comment and, yeah, I'm a little punched drunk at this point...lol..I still try to follow college football but it is getting harder these days. Regarding candidates, I don't know what to think because this program is in such a mess I tell myself it is a waste of time to speculate. I suppose if we are going to stuck to retreads (again), one could do much worse than Tom Herman...Herman with his last DC at Texas (Chris Ash) would be a good start, and Ash may be available if the Jags don't win much this season.

By all accounts, LSU AD Woodward is going to go after a big time splash hire. That's his style. Their fan boards are saying that pretty much everyone - except Saban and Dabo Sweeney- will be considered. Likely money will not be an issue at all. Woodward just pulled Kim Mulkey, women's basketball coach from Baylor as one of his first hires as new AD. Her salary for 21-22 is $2.5 million and will increase every year to $3.3 by 2028. Additional incentives for performance are built into the contract.

To that point, Ferman is saying he hears they are hitting Cristobal hard...

Advertisement
It amazes me that just because someone dislikes or are jealous of the success of a conference or of a particular school for whatever reason,.....that someone would feel that they are NOT doing anything that is worth us taking a look at to improve ourselves.

Of course, it's NOT an apples to apples comparison. They've been successful over the recent decade...We have NOT. They have BIG $$$ we don't. They have etc etc...and We don't

Our goal should be to become successful in today's environment to the best of our abilities given our current constraints. To accomplish that, we must be open to changing the way we've operated in the past and instilling best practices of other successful programs, whether we like them or not, IF they are practicable given our limitations.

Watch what? LSU has so much money coming in, they can eat SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLARS on a guy that anyone with two working eyes knew wouldn't make it. They were able to cover his shortcomings by hiring a strong staff around him, and even then, it fell apart quickly.

Miami on the other hand doesn't have that kind of money to throw around on guys that are obviously underqualified, so that's why it is so important to make forward thinking, rational hires. Manny Diaz wasn't that and people like myself called it out the NIGHT it was announced. That's what bothers me about the entire thing. Miami could have at least reached out to some qualified candidates and gauged interest, Blake James didn't even do that. That's a dereliction of duty, and should have gotten him fired on the spot.

Woodward is starting his search with TWO names…Bill O’Brien and Joe Brady…not sure Brady will come cause he’s due a HC job in the NFL next year or two so O’Brien will be the choice if he wants to leave but he may be looking to go back to the NFL but I don’t think he gets that offer anytime soon after the Texan debacle.

You will also hear the usual name like Urban Meyer but he won a game so his heart attack may be delayed.

TAF does have a lot of money but with the 17 million they owe O they might have to go after somebody at 4-6 million( and is why Tuckers name is popping up hes only making 5.5 with all incentives / 3.8 guaranteed) and that may limit them a little but you can best bet that LSU is a VERY attractive job with the automatic top 10 recruiting every year so you never know who might want in.
Mel Tucker currently has a net worth of $15-20 million and is about to sign an extension for $6.8 million a year and a 6-8 year extension. I don't think you see Tucker on an LSU sideline anytime soon. Maybe Kiffin becomes an option as many SEC coaches change schools within the conference.

Advertisement
Back