Coaching Want a winning coach? Sit back, watch LSU'S HC search and learn

MainLineCane

No More Excuses / Time to win
While we don't have anything near LSU's resources and attractiveness, there is something that we can learn about how to find a winning HC from them.

LSU is a simple animal, focused only on winning BIG.

LSU has goals, knows who and what they are...and ACCEPTS REALITY

LSU will conduct a national search reviewing ALL potential candidates.

LSU will not allow nits and perceived flaws of potential candidates remove them from consideration IF they are winners.

LSU made it known EARLY during the season that they are replacing their current HC to maximize awareness of their open position.

We need to adjust our attitude IF we really are seeking to improve our program. Knowing who and what you really are allows you to focus on candidates who can win at your program as it exists today.

There is nothing about coaching here at Miami that a good outsider cannot quickly learn or adapt to. A true winner can win anywhere.

Reality is that we will NOT attract the most attractive top tier candidates out there. Especially those who are currently winning, used to excellent facilities and total Universitywide focus on making the football program great. That has never existed here in the past and won't in the future.

But there are plenty of coaches who will view our facilities as adequate and who are used to doing and getting more out of less. Winners who can bring a winning culture back here with DEEDS...not words. Driven winners who just want a chance to show what they can do if given a chance.

The sooner we get word out that we are seeking a change, the better off this program, our existing players, our recruits and especially the potential candidates contemplating making a move will be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Im not saying LSU won't do a national coaching search this time around. But last time they did the same thing our dumb administration did and promoted from within from a failed staff. Luckily for them it worked out and they got a Natty out of it.

But yes I do agree the sooner Manny is fired the better the program will be as far as standings is concerned.

Im not saying LSU won't do a national coaching search this time around. But last time they did the same thing our dumb administration did and promoted from within from a failed staff. Luckily for them it worked out and they got a Natty out of it.

But yes I do agree the sooner Manny is fired the better the program will be as far as standings is concerned.

Agreed, but this time they've let it be known that this will be a national search.

Woodward is starting his search with TWO names…Bill O’Brien and Joe Brady…not sure Brady will come cause he’s due a HC job in the NFL next year or two so O’Brien will be the choice if he wants to leave but he may be looking to go back to the NFL but I don’t think he gets that offer anytime soon after the Texan debacle.

You will also hear the usual name like Urban Meyer but he won a game so his heart attack may be delayed.

TAF does have a lot of money but with the 17 million they owe O they might have to go after somebody at 4-6 million( and is why Tuckers name is popping up hes only making 5.5 with all incentives / 3.8 guaranteed) and that may limit them a little but you can best bet that LSU is a VERY attractive job with the automatic top 10 recruiting every year so you never know who might want in.

Advertisement
Woodward is starting his search with TWO names…Bill O’Brien and Joe Brady…not sure Brady will come cause he’s due a HC job in the NFL next year or two so O’Brien will be the choice if he wants to leave but he may be looking to go back to the NFL but I don’t think he gets that offer anytime soon after the Texan debacle.

You will also hear the usual name like Urban Meyer but he won a game so his heart attack may be delayed.

TAF does have a lot of money but with the 17 million they owe O they might have to go after somebody at 4-6 million( and is why Tuckers name is popping up hes only making 5.5 with all incentives / 3.8 guaranteed) and that may limit them a little but you can best bet that LSU is a VERY attractive job with the automatic top 10 recruiting every year so you never know who might want in.
No Billy Napier?

So what happens when they end up with billy Napier ? Or paying jimbo 10 mil?
I’d be REAL surprised if Jimbo even gets a call.He ****ed off a lot of people last go around with his arrogance toward the job and I really don’t think he’s in play for 10 million a year.

LSU is a football factory in Baton Rouge—a university with 30,000 undergrads in a city that is 1000% behind their football program and athletic department.

Some of y'all bring this upon yourselves, if you're really expecting the University of Miami—a liberal university with 11,000 undergrads, in a diverse metropolitan city—to behave and operate like an SEC powerhouse football factory.

Their alum also writes big checks. Georgia just dropped $200,000,000 into their program; the "Do More" campaign to get them closer to Alabama's success. Most of that came from alumni dollars; their fans practicing what they preach. (Welcome to the perils of being a program where most of the fan base aren't alum. Alumni write checks to their alma mater; the average fan doesn't.)

Miami fans don't even go to games and silently protest while still wearing 10-year old Nike gear, despite UM switching to adidas 6-7 years ago.

Hardly an apples to apples comparison. You get what you pay for—and Miami fans don't write checks, so neither does UM's admin.

Advertisement
Most companies including the U are reactive no matter the warning signs , very rarely proactive.

STOP is push a dollar away to get to a penny.

LSU is a football factory in Baton Rouge—a university with 30,000 undergrads in a city that is 1000% behind their football program and athletic department.

Some of y'all bring this upon yourselves, if you're really expecting the University of Miami—a liberal university with 11,000 undergrads, in a diverse metropolitan city—to behave and operate like an SEC powerhouse football factory.

Their alum also writes big checks. Georgia just dropped $200,000,000 into their program; the "Do More" campaign to get them closer to Alabama's success. Most of that came from alumni dollars; their fans practicing what they preach. (Welcome to the perils of being a program where most of the fan base aren't alum. Alumni write checks to their alma mater; the average fan doesn't.)

Miami fans don't even go to games and silently protest while still wearing 10-year old Nike gear, despite UM switching to adidas 6-7 years ago.

Hardly an apples to apples comparison. You get what you pay for—and Miami fans don't write checks, so neither does UM's admin.
I don’t disagree with these distinctions though I think the resources aspect was noted. There are things being pointed out in the OP - such as the way they let it be known early that the job is available - that the OP is saying could be applied at UM, regardless of resources.

No one is expecting UM to spend like a LSU.

However, there is no reason why the process in which UM conducts its search and hiring can’t be similar.

That’s the rub

No one is expecting UM to spend like a LSU.

However, there is no reason why the process in which UM conducts its search and hiring can’t be similar.

That’s the rub
Yea Miami will wait till all viable decent experienced coaches are gone then say we chose from the best candidate out there….usually a no experience coordinator…

Advertisement
As of now those are the guys I’ve heard but like I said if it gets to a point where O’Brien and Brady don’t want it guys like Napier ,Tucker and those type guys will be lining up on bent knees begging for the job…
O'Brien is a natural fit and I think the easy hire for LSU. That is if O'Brien actually wants to stay in college...no doubt in my mind there will be NFL opportunities in the horizon for him.

Brady is a riiiiiisky play. Yeah there's upside (naturally people will think Brady is the next McVay) but I just think your giving the keys of a powerhouse program to a 32 year old kid with limited experience. McVay's success was largely due in part to Wade Phillips and Aaron Donald. They followed that up with another slam dunk hire in Brandon Staley. Maybe Brady will have that type of success in building his team but it's extremely difficult to replicate that.

I'm just not sure LSU will take that risk, especially if you're a newly hired AD making your first hire. Probably go with the tried and true vs the new and unknown.

Not sure you're understanding what I wrote.

Never said the programs or circumstances are similar. As I plainly stated, you must know who and what you are...and ACCEPT REALITY.

I KNOW what our reality is.

The point that I'm making is even given that reality, how we can still find a winning coach that can succeed here .....despite our shortcomings

Last edited:
Advertisement
O'Brien is a natural fit and I think the easy hire for LSU. That is if O'Brien actually wants to stay in college...no doubt in my mind there will be NFL opportunities in the horizon for him.

Brady is a riiiiiisky play. Yeah there's upside (naturally people will think Brady is the next McVay) but I just think your giving the keys of a powerhouse program to a 32 year old kid with limited experience. McVay's success was largely due in part to Wade Phillips and Aaron Donald. They followed that up with another slam dunk hire in Brandon Staley. Maybe Brady will have that type of success in building his team but it's extremely difficult to replicate that.

I'm just not sure LSU will take that risk, especially if you're a newly hired AD making your first hire. Probably go with the tried and true vs the new and unknown.
A lot of times Boosters hire coaches and TAF’s big boys love Brady as does Woodward for what he did there and he’s having success with Carolina as well..Thing about LSU is they will spend 1.5-2. Mil to put very experienced coordinators around him as well as as much as it takes for top notch staff to help him have success.

Brady is a very risky hire for any P5 program, especially if you're in the SEC....Believe it or not, he is less risky hire for an NFL franchise because at that level you have an unlimited number of coaches you can hire for your staff, including the Grey beards at position and coordinator that you are not specialized in. Also, player acquisition is less on you at the NFL level and more on the front office doing legwork in preparation for a process (draft) where you don't have to recruit and kiss 18 year old dummy's backside.

They did this last time and ended up with Orgeron. Everyone knew it would end this way but no one thought it would have a natty sprinkled in there. Sure they want to win but it’s proven that winning coaches rarely leave their current situation and none were willing to go to LSU last time.

But in hind sight, and very little of his own doing, that was arguably a top 5 most talented team in the history of CFB. With the best QB in CFB that year. Larry Coker vibes.

It was slightly different in the sense Coach O had previous HC experience (albeit he failed at Ole Miss) & he was a good intern HC for them, prior to extending the full time gig.

Advertisement
Back