Coaching Want a winning coach? Sit back, watch LSU'S HC search and learn

Advertisement
Advertisement
I fully expect LSU to flex their muscle and get the coach they desire but Riley going to LSU would be a shock.

I think they pull an NFL coach or Dave Aranda with a top flight OC.
Unfortunately I live in sooner nation and I have been texting all friends and family that Riley is headed to LSU. They say no way. They will be shocked.

Advertisement
Advertisement
LSU is a football factory in Baton Rouge—a university with 30,000 undergrads in a city that is 1000% behind their football program and athletic department.

Some of y'all bring this upon yourselves, if you're really expecting the University of Miami—a liberal university with 11,000 undergrads, in a diverse metropolitan city—to behave and operate like an SEC powerhouse football factory.

Their alum also writes big checks. Georgia just dropped $200,000,000 into their program; the "Do More" campaign to get them closer to Alabama's success. Most of that came from alumni dollars; their fans practicing what they preach. (Welcome to the perils of being a program where most of the fan base aren't alum. Alumni write checks to their alma mater; the average fan doesn't.)

Miami fans don't even go to games and silently protest while still wearing 10-year old Nike gear, despite UM switching to adidas 6-7 years ago.

Hardly an apples to apples comparison. You get what you pay for—and Miami fans don't write checks, so neither does UM's admin.
So true, hate it but it's true.

Throwing out big names to give the impression of making a effort even though they know chances are almost zero, and then ending up with a plan B guy like Napier? Yes, I'm sure the UM admin is watching and learning.

Advertisement
And still won a National Championship with him.

I wish ALL of our recent bad hires had won NC'S BEFORE being fired

Larry Coker won a national championship with someone else's horses too. Doesn't make him a national championship caliber head coach.

Joe Burrow won LSU that title more than Ed Orgeron did—same way Miami's talent allowed Larry to coast his way to glory.

Regardless, landing on Orgeron after parting ways with Les Miles was hardly a masterclass in hiring a winning head coach.

Larry Coker won a national championship with someone else's horses too. Doesn't make him a national championship caliber head coach.

Joe Burrow won LSU that title more than Ed Orgeron did—same way Miami's talent allowed Larry to coast his way to glory.

Regardless, landing on Orgeron after parting ways with Les Miles was hardly a masterclass in hiring a winning head coach.

I knew someone would bring up Coker .

Anyway the situations aren't comparable. Coker won NC in his 1st year with Davis' players so I completely understand and agree. BUT....Coach O was hired in 2016. He got Joe Burrow in 2018. So Joe came in under O's watch. So he was Coach O horse, running O's offense on a championship team with numerous NFC draftees not just Joe B and defense O recruited and built.

REGARDLESS, MY POINT STILL STANDS.... LSU'S LAST THREE COACHING CHOICES have WON NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. We can learn some things from them. I don't know of any other program that can exceed that fact.

Someone could nitpick or let that fact upset them BUT they can't deny that whatever LSU'S approach and what they've been doing has been a lot better than what we've been doing.

I've already stated in my initial post that LSU'S got resources we do NOT possess. But I'm talking about their approach and process.

The point of my initial post remains true and clear. We can learn some things from those that do it better than ourselves.......I.e. they've already long made it clear O will NOT be returning. Having an overriding commitment to winning NC's etc etc.

Not sorry that may offend some who may think that we have a process here that doesn't need any changes.

If you disagree and think that we can't learn anything from them...then we simply disagree

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back