Viceland: Miami Youth Football

Advertisement
[MENTION=3368]Dfrec1981[/MENTION] man threatens to tell on UM to the NCAA because we don't play a certain QB and he's pro UM? Take your idiocy, roll it into the ball, and stick it where the sun don't shine. He was a bandwagoner and when we're on top again he'll jump right back on.

[MENTION=5707]westcoastcanes[/MENTION], where's that article clip you have?

Last edited:
Who the **** plays OL? I can't believe a kid can't play if he weighs too much and you don't have middle school football. What the **** is wrong with football down there.

Someone explain the weight classes down there and how that is used. Where I grew up there wasn't a weight limit for the team, but you could not handle the ball if you weighed over a certain amount.

Goes by age and weight. 10 YR OLDS -115 PDS. 9- 105'S, ETC
Which is why we didnt produce lineman down here at a good peg..because most of the lineman were to big to play football until high school. We dont have middle school football.
We have an unlimited group which is the older kids. I couldnt play football as a youngin because i was naturally bigger than my counterparts/Friends (Jon Beason, etc) so i just went to the park and ran. I had to wait till high school and went straight to varsity after 3 games..hving never played organized football. Thats the stroy of most big kids in south florida

who plays ol??

Lol...Guys like Randy Russell, Sean Spence....

My starting ot my first year coaching plays safety at Alabama State now and played db/lb all through high school.
Alot of the wr's you see that are 6'2 + ...they played ol down here growing up for the most part.

There hads only been a recent change with the unlimited and them allowing some "HEAVY'S" to play on the ol. **** i coached the 10 u team this year..we were one of thetop two in our league made the super bowl. Our weight limit is 115-120. We played a team that had a Heavy that was 185pds. We let him play on the line against us..because we had dogs on the dline that didnt care..(a kid that if he just stays on the straign n narrow will be a div 1 recruit..a lock)
7th grader at one of the schools where I run my non-profit is probably 5' 10" 200+ already. Kid looks like he's going to be 6' 5"+ 300+ easily. Huge frame.

I asked him if he plays or practices any football. "Naw, man, not yet. I play basketball for now."

Basketball actually probably helps a lot of the kids with their footwork. Still, every time I see him I want him to line up as a LT and start practicing kicking out.

sed em to me...my boys are working with kids like that currently in broward. teaching them lineman technique already. they have a saturday camp.

Who the **** plays OL? I can't believe a kid can't play if he weighs too much and you don't have middle school football. What the **** is wrong with football down there.

Someone explain the weight classes down there and how that is used. Where I grew up there wasn't a weight limit for the team, but you could not handle the ball if you weighed over a certain amount.

Which is why we didnt produce lineman down here at a good peg..because most of the lineman were to big to play football until high school. We dont have middle school football.
We have an unlimited group which is the older kids. I couldnt play football as a youngin because i was naturally bigger than my counterparts/Friends (Jon Beason, etc) so i just went to the park and ran. I had to wait till high school and went straight to varsity after 3 games..hving never played organized football. Thats the stroy of most big kids in south florida

It's not really like that anymore. See what the show didn't show is their are multiple football leagues down here the one viceland showed was the greater Miami branch of the Pop Warner league which is all around the country and the one that play their Superbowl on ESPN. The other big league down here is the old syfl that is now the fyfl or Flo league because Flo Rida and his partner/manager Freezy started it. Pop Warner has more of the Dade county teams mainly centered around the liberty city area and south Miami. Flo league is more for the north Dade county teams from the opa locka/CC area or what is referred to now as Miami gardens and the Broward county teams (ft Lauderdale, pompano, Deerfield Beach areas).

The teams on viceland show play by pop Warner national rules which is age and weight restrictions. You basically have a specific weight per age but you can also have what they call older but lighters where an older kid can play on the same team but they have to be 20lbs lower than the max weight for that pound.

Fyfl used to be an age weight restrictions league but now they pretty much have unlimited weight as you can see in the videos of that ft Lauderdale hurricanes team that's always posted in the recruiting board. unlimited weight is becoming more widespread down here now even the Ayfl (yet another football league down here smh) is starting to go to it for more age groups. It's no longer restricted to the older kids who were basically 8th graders or HS freshman that didn't want to play JV.

That's why I used to tell DMoney in about another 5-10 years the Line position players will start to resemble the skill positions Bec kids don't have to stunt their growth trying to cut weight to play ball or sit on the sidelines until they get to highschool before they can play ball anymore.

Last edited:

Depends which league, the one on viceland was pop warner they go by weight & age, most other leagues down here like fyfl (toughest league in the country) & ayfl only goes by age

Advertisement
[MENTION=1]Andrew[/MENTION]...

Not necessarily a bad thing. Ereck Flowers didn't play football till the 9th or 10th grade, was a basketball player till then. And look at Erik Swoope...never played a lick of organized football, and He's on the Colts 53 man roster. Sports at the highest levels are for late bloomers.

If one thing should be taken from this episode it's not people trying to make pro football players out of little kids. IT'S PEOPLE GIVING THEIR TIME TO PROVIDE A POSITIVE OUTLET AND EXPERIENCE FOR KIDS. The result is some go on to play pro, few will, but providing a better life experience for all of them, than the streets or in some cases at home. Sad testament that the result of widespread poverty is not to build the community up thru local small business and minimizing crime so that outsiders would also invest, visit and spend money in these communities. As a AA male it saddens and embarrasses me that 10% of our people drag the community down and bring so much despair on the 90% living honestly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Del Ray Rocks still around? They used to have some good teams in the early 90's.

Luke Has to be on it ...Because he started the **** optomist clubs in the doc...

1.) Luke has been doing this before he ever knew his wife. ( so there goes that he does it for his wife agency theme)

Most of the kids dont make it to high school ball and if they do some dont start or go div 1..he still helps them.

Yall are some legit haters..but it is what it is. Luke had Devonta Freeman staying at his home when he was a 2nd string sophomore tailback at central. Before any one knew the kid would even be a div 1 player he along with some other guys was mentoring.

None of yall are from Liberty City or understand Liberty City so i wouldnt expect much thinking of anything that takes place in that community or who helps in it.

Who is Devonta's agent?

I get they have talent, but that is a lot of missed time with coaches. I also can't believe they don't have middle school football. No wonder these guys make some many penalties.

@Andrew...

Not necessarily a bad thing. Ereck Flowers didn't play football till the 9th or 10th grade, was a basketball player till then. And look at Erik Swoope...never played a lick of organized football, and He's on the Colts 53 man roster. Sports at the highest levels are for late bloomers.

Advertisement
fück Luke for all the **** thrown at Miami's way over the down years and sending studs to rival schools. As a hurricane fan I hate that mother fücking snitch..

However, whether he and his white benefit or not down the line, at least he's doing something for these kids (who here is?). I would be a hypocrite to say I was, when I know I'm chilling here in south Miami without a worry on my mind. Lights on, food in the fridge and car paid for.

These kids can't even go buy candy around the corner without the possibility of getting shot (RIP King). Luke may be a ***** in the eyes of hurricane fans, and rightfully earned. But in order for him or his wife to benefit from any kid, that means they have to make it out the hood.

It's not really like that anymore. See what the show didn't show is their are multiple football leagues down here the one viceland showed was the greater Miami branch of the Pop Warner league which is all around the country and the one that play their Superbowl on ESPN. The other big league down here is the old syfl that is now the fyfl or Flo league because Flo Rida and his partner/manager Freezy started it. Pop Warner has more of the Dade county teams mainly centered around the liberty city area and south Miami. Flo league is more for the north Dade county teams from the opa locka/CC area or what is referred to now as Miami gardens and the Broward county teams (ft Lauderdale, pompano, Deerfield Beach areas).

The teams on viceland show play by pop Warner national rules which is age and weight restrictions. You basically have a specific weight per age but you can also have what they call older but lighters where an older kid can play on the same team but they have to be 20lbs lower than the max weight for that pound.

Fyfl used to be an age weight restrictions league but now they pretty much have unlimited weight as you can see in the videos of that ft Lauderdale hurricanes team that's always posted in the recruiting board. unlimited weight is becoming more widespread down here now even the Ayfl (yet another football league down here smh) is starting to go to it for more age groups. It's no longer restricted to the older kids who were basically 8th graders or HS freshman that didn't want to play JV.

That's why I used to tell DMoney in about another 5-10 years the Line position players will start to resemble the skill positions Bec kids don't have to stunt their growth trying to cut weight to play ball or sit on the sidelines until they get to highschool before they can play ball anymore.

i coached in the AYFL this year. Its the same...and pretty much goes to preference of the team and cach your playing at the weigh ins. Hel we routinely had a few kids not allowed to play for being 2pds over...because of how they looked at weigh ins and the other coaches not know these kids were 2nd string any way.

That FT L Hurricanes team is straight out of the AYFL as they were the Pembroke Pines Optomist team a year ago...so they were on the weight restriction as well.

But i see the line play getting better...as better LINEMAN coaching are starting to integrate with the guys that played div 1 that have came back and got into it. Could you believe i didnt know what a kick step was until my freshman year in college ..and i played left tackle. We were shuffling and opening up to pass pro. I have my 10 year olds in a two point stance kick stepping, zone blocking, etc. Again my boys run weekly camps..that train these beast yall are watching in little leagues and we have the lineman section now. LOOK OUT in the future foreal

[MENTION=1]Andrew[/MENTION]...

Ereck Flowers played at IVES Estates. His dad was a coach...he played with my gf younger bro and i remember him as they were friends at Krop too.

Advertisement
The Del Ray Rocks still around? They used to hae some good teams in the early 90's.

We had our way with them...but they still have a lot of talent. I guess they are a feeder school for Atlantic??. You can always tell whos good by the surrounding high schools..wHICH IS WHY EVERYONE CALLED cAROL cITY BEING BACK MAYBE 2-3 years ago when their chiefs/ravens optomist teams were LOADED.

Luke Has to be on it ...Because he started the **** optomist clubs in the doc...

1.) Luke has been doing this before he ever knew his wife. ( so there goes that he does it for his wife agency theme)

Most of the kids dont make it to high school ball and if they do some dont start or go div 1..he still helps them.

Yall are some legit haters..but it is what it is. Luke had Devonta Freeman staying at his home when he was a 2nd string sophomore tailback at central. Before any one knew the kid would even be a div 1 player he along with some other guys was mentoring.

None of yall are from Liberty City or understand Liberty City so i wouldnt expect much thinking of anything that takes place in that community or who helps in it.

Who is Devonta's agent?

who's Artie Burns agent?. Whats your point?

i coached in the AYFL this year. Its the same...and pretty much goes to preference of the team and cach your playing at the weigh ins. Hel we routinely had a few kids not allowed to play for being 2pds over...because of how they looked at weigh ins and the other coaches not know these kids were 2nd string any way.

That FT L Hurricanes team is straight out of the AYFL as they were the Pembroke Pines Optomist team a year ago...so they were on the weight restriction as well.

But i see the line play getting better...as better LINEMAN coaching are starting to integrate with the guys that played div 1 that have came back and got into it. Could you believe i didnt know what a kick step was until my freshman year in college ..and i played left tackle. We were shuffling and opening up to pass pro. I have my 10 year olds in a two point stance kick stepping, zone blocking, etc. Again my boys run weekly camps..that train these beast yall are watching in little leagues and we have the lineman section now. LOOK OUT in the future foreal

Unless Ayfl lying on their website they say 2017 season theyre moving to unlimited for 8u and above with weight restriction on skill position players until you get the the 12u teams. That's means they're expanding the unlimited restriction since it use to be only be the 14u teams back when Rich used to run that pound at PPO. then when they got rid of 14u three years ago it was the 13u that was unlimited on the lines and Chuck team at PPO with Doc Richardson and Willie dominated all the 13u teams that year including the fyfl teams because Chuck actually had legit heavies on the OL. The year after they brought it down for the 12u which is how Chris team competed with heavies like big baby on the line that year. so Ayfl did and does have unlimited and they are supposed to be expanding it the the younger kids next season. the point of mentioning the PPO/hurricanes was because they are a fyfl team that people on this board have seen video of. So they were an example of fyfl being an unlimited weight league regardless of what they did in Ayfl as a 12u but even then they were unlimited on the lines.

So come 2017 the only league down here that will still be primarily weight restriction is Pop since they use pop Warner national rules (Xtreme might be weight limit as well idk bec I don't really pay attention to that league). There's no longer an excuse for a big boy not to be able to play ball because there will be more than enough parks available next year to allow them to play.

Full episode for those who want to watch:

[video=youtube_share;3XV0h3nxtvI]https://youtu.be/3XV0h3nxtvI[/video]

I dont mean anything by this. But ts Uncle luke guy looks like the type of guy that has at least a few hispanic side es.....

Advertisement
Back