Vertical routes between the hashes

It was open and that's an NFL throw. The second you see the defenders back of the head its on a line right over his inside shoulder. The other defender is occupied the safety is still too high over the top to come get it if it's thrown on time. The 2 things that should be happening on the play is he hits brashard in stride and hes 1 on 1 with the safety, or the LB is called for PI. At worst it's in the dirt.
Perhaps. It’s an NFL throw for sure and not one he is able to make at this point due to his health.

A healthy TVD, I would agree.

Advertisement
Well, now he's hurt, so he is trying to limit the beating.
Fine, but he’s still, even now, has super clean pockets and plenty of time. Seems to be the problem. The more time he has, he’s somehow worse.

Plus, if he has these injuries and can’t make the throws, he needs to sit or change the game plan for shorter routes.

Fine, but he’s still, even now, has super clean pockets and plenty of time. Seems to be the problem. The more time he has, he’s somehow worse.

Plus, if he has these injuries and can’t make the throws, he needs to sit or change the game plan for shorter routes.
we'll see sunday whether thats the case.

or you, for that matter, I'll be sleeping

I am not offensive genius, but IF it was me running the offense, I would spread teams out as wide as I could using 4 WR's Young, Restrepo, Smith, and George. I would have a RB lined up next to TVD in backfield. When I got a decent gain on first game, I would tempo tempo tempo.

I would incorporate RPO into a lot of the plays. I would angle the backs out of the backfield into passing plays as they can make a backer miss one on one.

Still dont understand why we dont also put Harrell in to run a go route at least twice per game. If he is covered it probably means that coverage is really stretched deep on that side, and you should have room for an underneath throw under the route.
Love everything u said the route combos haven’t been the best but it seems like simple fixes but who knows what’s going on

Advertisement
Does it even matter if our QB is going to throw into double/triple coverage despite other receivers being open?
This is what I was thinking as well. Even with Gattis calling plays last season there were a lot of receivers open that TVD missed. We can try to run all these concepts, stretch the defense this way and that way, but it doesn't matter if your QB doesn't see it.

Remember when everyone hated Mallory? I'd kill to have him out there, limping around, making 30 yard catch and run touchdowns right now.
And we'd be struggling to run the ball because he couldn't block a soul. It's pick your poison.

A couple of his biggest passes last year were to Mallory across the middle. I wish TEs were incorporated more into the passing game

At a minimum, you'd help your QB when he refuses to help himself.

TVD was off on his deep passes and missing his checkdowns in the flat, so yeah, literally put a big target right in front of his face. If he can't hit that, pull him.

I'd have killed for them to run that Richt RPO with the TE slant and the bubble. That was there all game.

Advertisement
I got the Smith thing and I'm with ya. Ok, Parrish has rocks for hands. How bout the other two, Chaney and Fletcher? I know Fletcher has hands and I think Chaney does too. The play doesn't have to go 75 yards to be successful. There are massive holes in the defense that a dummy like me can see. Exploit them!
I think you're misunderstanding me- I'm all for calling a rush route on every single f*ing concept. Swing, arrow, pick-choice, etc.

PRESNAP

View attachment 263707

Back foot hits

View attachment 263709

Looks like the moment the decision was made

View attachment 263711

Ball is in the air (Restrepo's presumed post is still outside the hash)

View attachment 263712
IMG_0874.jpeg

So basically our OC sucks again?

Or is it TVD limiting him?
For the record, this thread and the goal of the discussion is NOT aimed at saying our OC sucks. I actually don’t think he sucks at all.

There is no way for me to explain most of the things we see because I’m not in the room when we game plan or make the calls.

My conclusion is closer to ‘we have a worrisome combination of issues and I know I’m not gonna find out the real reason or who’s contributing most.’ But, might as well discuss it because I like football.

For the record, this thread and the goal of the discussion is NOT aimed at saying our OC sucks. I actually don’t think he sucks at all.

There is no way for me to explain most of the things we see because I’m not in the room when we game plan or make the calls.

My conclusion is closer to ‘we have a worrisome combination of issues and I know I’m not gonna find out the real reason or who’s contributing most.’ But, might as well discuss it because I like football.
Also, 2 other things that have stuck out especially in the UVA game. Very little motion. There's a team that plays in the same stadium on Sundays that leads the league in pre snap motion. Have to make these college defenders get their eyes in the wrong place. Second thing being, where is the tempo...Tyler really thrived in that with Rhett. We'll do it once in awhile off of a first down, run an IZ get 4 yards and right back to the huddle. Overall, the lack of creativity is concerning.

Advertisement

We have to have our first series score a TD , NCST will .
I said earlier our first series will tell everything, why because we’ve practiced it every day all wee week over and over.

1st failure could cause a frenzy for NCST D and our D to suffer all game again.

Our O MUST give our D a SERIOUS BREAK to actually have a couple minutes break at least our O will have to hold them if not we’re doomed.

GOCANES

While reviewing some of the UVA game (I was actually checking for how many defenders we were inviting into the box), I saw this image pop up again: everything outside the hashes.

View attachment 263696

In this case, 6 defenders covering 4 eligible receivers completely outside the hashes.

You can do the Math. It’s a restricted space. And, there is a world of space in the middle.

It’s something I also mentioned during the GT game - where we stayed outside the hashes a ton, until we successfully tried a couple vertical routes (I believe one to Young and one to Restrepo) *splitting their 2 deep Safeties.*

Thought we could discuss the different reasons we’re limiting the field more often than is beneficial and what, within the ‘infusion of Air Raid concepts,’ we can do differently. I know many will just say ‘it’s on TVD,’ but there has to be more to it.

Have at it…

Football strategically is ....a simple game of spaces.
...one team trying to find and occupy spaces while the other is trying to cover or protect spaces.

Everything else is just details.

Just focus on finding or keeping spaces ... occupy or protect

Last edited:

So what's responsible for our offensive anemia?

a) A poorly designed scheme...thus the OC?

b) An injured QB?

c) A meddling HC w/ an outdated offensive philosophy?

If the answer is "c" it's the most discouraging as it's the hardest to fix!

Advertisement
So what's responsible for our offensive anemia?

a) A poorly designed scheme...thus the OC?

b) An injured QB?

c) A meddling HC w/ an outdated offensive philosophy?

If the answer is "c" it's the most discouraging as it's the hardest to fix!
Think you hit on the main possibilities. And, I think a combination isn't unreasonable to imagine.

Some others:

(d) not enough gamebreaking or YAC at RB

(e) not enough speed on the field at WR (which is infuriating, because it's Oct and Ray Ray and Smith could at least see some more attempts)

(f) A reactive instead of proactive culture (to me, a couple games now feel like we were a step behind; someone on this thread even mentioned how it looked like we had our signs stolen)

I know some of you guys are new here, but I’m old enough to remember way back when Dawson was a genius who knew how to scheme up all the right angles. It was waaaaay back in September of 2023. Some of the old timers on here will remember.

Think you hit on the main possibilities. And, I think a combination isn't unreasonable to imagine.

Some others:

(d) not enough gamebreaking or YAC at RB

(e) not enough speed on the field at WR (which is infuriating, because it's Oct and Ray Ray and Smith could at least see some more attempts)

(f) A reactive instead of proactive culture (to me, a couple games now feel like we were a step behind; someone on this thread even mentioned how it looked like we had our signs stolen)

This is always going to be an issue when you have a conservative head coach. Your team will always wait until it's too late to make adjustments because of the risk involved in changing things. Conservative coaches tend to "play it safe" too long.

Dc’s know most of the routes we run in the middle of the field are mostly digs / overs. As Tom Brady said “ the middle of the field is impossible to guard now. That’s why NE lived between the hashes. Db’s can’t intimidate you anymore so the middle of the field is **** near a layup. Then mix in the rpo. The rb’s and te’s are being used as poorly as I’ve ever seen. It’s atrocious. Rb’s stay in the flats. Te’s? I don‘t even know with that position has become here.
So true, and add to the fact that TVD has "bad eyes" the situation becomes exponentially worse. What I refer to "bad eyes' it is two fold. He doesn't the field beyond first read, and when he sees something he stares it down. TVD was at his best under Lashlee and his one read concepts, however, it also made him acquire some bad habits which he can't conquer. Add injuries to the mix, and you have a confused QB, lacking confidence.

Even with the ultra conservative game plan v. Clemson, Emory would throw into the middle of the field. I don't think it is possible in today's cfb, to win consistently without a mobile to semi-mobile QB.

Advertisement
Back