Vertical routes between the hashes

When you have great touch, accuracy, and mechanics(unless your Mahomes) then this is true.

Yet this is not a common trait amongst QBs collegiate or NFL. Throwing over the middle is resulting in a lot of INTs. Any passes too far up, too far down, too far left, or too far right is an INT it seems.

You gotta be pinpoint accurate and your receivers absolutely have to catch the ball. A lot of QBs can't do what Brady does with that level of consistency.
Tyler had no issue in the middle of the field under Lashlee and Gattis last year . Go look at the te‘s number and compare to now. 42 catches 538 yards and 3 td. Most being in the middle of the field. That’s Gattis the horrible‘s O.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s also becoming clear that TVD is best at throwing post and go routes, but he struggles with the rest

This is what he had so much success doing with Rambo two years ago, before anyone had film on him

Now there’s plenty of film and defenses have figured him out.

Play zone and play back to force TVD to make mistakes. He will still force it deep on a post or go route even if it’s not open.

It also takes him too long to make it to the check downs underneath.

All of this is a big problem, combined with his injuries and fading mentality

It makes worse when he cannot shift weight comfortably to his front feet.. which is obvious from last game

We trust him to throw dig’s to nauseam but no seams or posts between the seams? Ok lol

I'd rather see a slat route off an RPO vs a slow-developing post that has TVD looking in that direction for 2 seconds.

TE seams are likely open all day but we just don't run them for whatever reason.

It makes worse when he cannot shift weight comfortably to his front feet.. which is obvious from last game

I've mentioned this a couple times. The dude looks like he has no torque at all right now. That pick down our team's sideline (intended for Restrepo) had all the makings of injured ribs or an injured front leg. If he's that injured, don't think he should be playing, but most of us just don't know enough about what's actually happening behind the scenes. Hopefully, he's physically recuperated more in this week. We f'in need it.

Advertisement
I've mentioned this a couple times. The dude looks like he has no torque at all right now. That pick down our team's sideline (intended for Restrepo) had all the makings of injured ribs or an injured front leg. If he's that injured, don't think he should be playing, but most of us just don't know enough about what's actually happening behind the scenes. Hopefully, he's physically recuperated more in this week. We f'in need it.

That ball was 8 yards short of where it needed to be. Possibly 10 if you want to make X extend for it.

In QB terms, that's a gigantic miss. Literally not even close.

Tyler had no issue in the middle of the field under Lashlee and Gattis last year . Go look at the te‘s number and compare to now. 42 catches 538 yards and 3 td. Most being in the middle of the field. That’s Gattis the horrible‘s O.
I was speaking in General, not about Tyler in particular just what I see in football. Ll

A lot of coaches are hesitant to scheme routes over the middle cause receivers don't catch them consistently, leading to turnovers.

It COULD be a reason for Dawson. We don't know what Dawson sees in practice to scheme it this way. I mean he could be another arrogant asshat coach like a lot of them but Idk.

With all due respect, posting TvD numbers while in Gattis system, when he could barely move the ball and had just as many INTs as TDs, ain't really helping me see how Tyler is more effective throwing over the middle.

Again, I agree with the premise that we should absolutely throw over the middle.

**** I don't think I've seen a quick slant YET.
I'm just trying to give a reason as to why we may not be doing it.

Qb with a rocket arm, bad mechanics, an injured hand and leg, throwing over the middle could be a recipe for disaster or Dawson and Mario are just idiots. 🤷🏿‍♂️

OC is very limited with TVD , has to be simple say hike and throw to primary no matter what or turn and hand off , that is it period.

I don’t think TVD is allowed to check off unless it’s the second play called in huddle and there to the same player..

I can only imagine the panic in TVD with rotating and camouflage zone coverage on the fly , that’s also the problem no matter what you see he runs it like Ron Burgundy reads whatever the teleprompter says period.

Dawson knows he ain’t right and has to game plan around limitations now our opponents know get TVD thinking and INT and 3 and out start coming.

GOCANES

There’s slot of truth in your post but you’re also being too lenient on Dawson, particularly with his lack of

RPO
Pre snap motion
Plays specifically designed to beat zones
TE and RB passes

Advertisement
I've mentioned this a couple times. The dude looks like he has no torque at all right now. That pick down our team's sideline (intended for Restrepo) had all the makings of injured ribs or an injured front leg. If he's that injured, don't think he should be playing, but most of us just don't know enough about what's actually happening behind the scenes. Hopefully, he's physically recuperated more in this week. We f'in need it
He’s got three injuries. All of which really hamper a pocket passer. Which is why I’m freaking ****ed off he’s playing

TVD has never had great footwork but last week’s game was particularly tough to watch from a mechanical standpoint. His base is off on almost every pass. His feet are often too far apart and he’s just torquing the ball with his upper body. I’m assuming the injury has something to do with it. He has no rhythm to his motion and it almost looks like his legs are doing something completely different from his torso. On the first drive I literally said “****, they’re just throwing him out there like that”. I knew it was going to be a tough game.

He may not be comfortable throwing in the middle of the field. He has thrown it right to robbers and hook zone droppers a few times already
I think this is the main reason.
Seems like TVD has more trouble in the middle of the field.
It’s gotten ridiculous though. We need to get more creative in both our pass and run schemes.

Advertisement
I think this is the main reason.
Seems like TVD has more trouble in the middle of the field.
It’s gotten ridiculous though. We need to get more creative in both our pass and run schemes.
watch the clips I just posted. There were plenty of reasons for his problems..

Official account posted a pic of him today in practice throwing and I don't think he had that finger brace on?

He still wore one in the UVA game, right? Maybe that injury is behind him now if he's not wearing it in practice?

Advertisement
While reviewing some of the UVA game (I was actually checking for how many defenders we were inviting into the box), I saw this image pop up again: everything outside the hashes.

View attachment 263696

In this case, 6 defenders covering 4 eligible receivers completely outside the hashes.

You can do the Math. It’s a restricted space. And, there is a world of space in the middle.

It’s something I also mentioned during the GT game - where we stayed outside the hashes a ton, until we successfully tried a couple vertical routes (I believe one to Young and one to Restrepo) *splitting their 2 deep Safeties.*

Thought we could discuss the different reasons we’re limiting the field more often than is beneficial and what, within the ‘infusion of Air Raid concepts,’ we can do differently. I know many will just say ‘it’s on TVD,’ but there has to be more to it.

Have at it…

At the top of the screen, they ran some version of what looked like a switch concept. Brashard went down the left sideline and it resulted in an easy INT.

I believe Restrepo was going to run a deep post from the right hash that would break in about 20 yards downfield. I’d have to check again. Either way, he’s probably not who I’d have challenging that Safety with that route, but that’s another topic.
Yea we threw 2 picks with this play. The first x was wide open and TVD underthrew it. Second one well, they knew we would go back to it and told the DB be ready. We had no threat in the flats which allowed the DB to get depth without worrying about the short throw. They knew it was coming. No creativity in this offense. Or usage of proven plays either smh.

Roman's Student of the Game 17 minutes. Simple and unbiased. He points out issues with play design, etc. Also looks at a few things Muskett did for UVA that Dawson might consider....

TVD is really hurt. Just look at those two picks... He looks like an old man.

He has his freshman zip and both of those might big big plays.

Official account posted a pic of him today in practice throwing and I don't think he had that finger brace on?

He still wore one in the UVA game, right? Maybe that injury is behind him now if he's not wearing it in practice?
I hope so but now he has the knee injury which can effect him throwing the ball with pace

He’s got three injuries. All of which really hamper a pocket passer. Which is why I’m freaking ****ed off he’s playing
They probably trust 75% tvd over emory and jacurri..They see them everyday tho, so i don’t think if tyler wasn’t capable he would be out there.

And i keep saying its not as simple to throw a different qb in there mid season, there is alot that goes into that. Emory and jacurri probably is more comfortable with different things than tyler is, the receivers timing with them might not be good enough etc.. And its not like we have some gimme games, we are gonna be on the road in tough environments it would be unfair to throw a tf in there now especially if they think tvd is good enough to go

Advertisement
Back