Vertical routes between the hashes

I noticed the increase in Dawson's usage of the symmetrical 2X2 sets with independent routes in the GT game and it continued against VA. He needs to limit its usage, particularly if teams are going to play more zone against us where we need to flood the zones and create movement within them to be successful.

Advertisement
It's so obvious even I've seen it and posted about it on here lol. Mesh concepts, drags, slants, TE's w/seam option routes, angle routes by the RBs...all of those things are staples of a traditional Air Raid. I know they're in Dawson's bag somewhere. WAY past time to pull them out and use them. Dawson is a marked improvement over Gatazz, but if Dawson can't/won't put those things into play, he's handcuffing us just the same way as Gatazz did last year. Put these guys in positions to succeed and make big plays in space! You don't have to throw the ball 30 yards or more in the air to get big plays with the guys we have on our roster.
It's weird because we did some of that against TAMU and hit big plays. Where has it gone?

Sure is a **** of a lot of open space in the flats, especially to TVD's right. I believe the RB is blocking, but why not have him leak out after chipping the defender? I see there's a LB watching for that, but I'll take my chances with our RBs in the flat vs their LB in coverage. I can't believe we aren't doing more of this. It would also force the safeties to respect that and likely cheat up, which would open up the vertical routes more. But what do I know, I'm just a fan on a message board.

Glad you confirmed my suspicions. I had a feeling we aren't running any routes over the middle. And I've got to believe that it's TVD that's limiting Dawson's hand. The middle of the field has got to be a no-go zone for an INT happy QB. No way Dawson wants to feed our sweet little simpleton to the sharks roaming around between the hashes.

Advertisement
Go back to those crossing routes as well.
5-7 and 10 yard routes
Young ran two in the 4th quarter and we're wide open.
Staithe game with some easy throws for #9, like they did the Clemson game for #17.

Sure is a **** of a lot of open space in the flats, especially to TVD's right. I believe the RB is blocking, but why not have him leak out after chipping the defender? I see there's a LB watching for that, but I'll take my chances with our RBs in the flat vs their LB in coverage. I can't believe we aren't doing more of this. It would also force the safeties to respect that and likely cheat up, which would open up the vertical routes more. But what do I know, I'm just a fan on a message board.
When they check Smith in at RB he hits the flat on a swing but it's covered bc it's so obvious.

Still ****ed when I heard TVD say "UVA covered the middle of the field well."

I was thinking, we threw one crossing route to Young that went for 20. Had we run 10 of those instead of 1, we would have gone for 300 yards in the air and 200 on the ground with 40 points. Instead, everything has been pushed out wide with 3 covering 2 and those 2 hardly ever break inside.

On that BS INT, Young should have broken inside sooner pulling the safety with him allowing TVD to put more air on the ball OR to throw it sooner without the fear of the CB dropping off of Young to INT.

Advertisement
Baffling baffling baffling lack of PA in this offense

Especially when the OL pass blocks so well and TVD biggest strength is the deep pass
I'm confused as to why we're not doing it more. I can only assume Dawson is trying to prevent TVD from getting killed, because: If a S comes down hill from outside of the tackle, he'll come down in full pursuit towards the QB.

Advertisement
We need to start moving our wrs around. Watched the Ohio Taint game sat night and they were moving Harrision around. He was motioning, he was lining up slot, and wide. Most of his routes were underneith drags and outs. As soon as the defenders would creep up on him, his routes changed and more vertical. Now we don't have a stud wr like harrision but the point being he wasn't just lining up in the same spot everytime. Move X to the outside and bring George or Colbie in the slot and motion them. Have them run the drags or crossers and x and smith deep routes. I remember one of the games, Colbie motioned in and went back out to the flat and wide open.

How great would it be to have a tight end against all the cover two we see now?
1698766576500.gif

That’s the kind of outside the box thinking we will have none of here, sir.

Ok, so we have officially reached the point in the season where the CiS armchair coRches have figured out just exactly what is schematically holding the offense back.

QUESTION:
What can we expect the actual CoRching staff to do now that all of CiS can identify the problems?

Advertisement
I'd love to see the TE's, which have been used to max-protect, released to run routes, especially if the LB assigned to them is starting to crash. Dawson needs to start breaking tendencies.

Or maybe use te’s or rb’s in the middle of the field ? Which is the hardest part of playing defense. now. Tvd sure had no issues finding Mallory and Arroyo wide open down the seams under Rhett. Or Rooster on wheels and angle routes. Guess what Thise have in common ? Between the hashes. The offense and concepts are beyond predictable now. They‘ve been used to death. **** even Gattis used the te’s and backs better last year lol.

Good job @LuCane , I’ve been *****ing about this for weeks now. Glad I’m not crazy.
Been crying for brashard on a wheel route. We run so many two back sets with ZERO creativity. Put our one of our freaking fastest dudes on an LB and see what happens. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Has the run Williams up the seam, kids a good player

I'm confused as to why we're not doing it more. I can only assume Dawson is trying to prevent TVD from getting killed, because: If a S comes down hill from outside of the tackle, he'll come down in full pursuit towards the QB.
Im confused why we aren't seeing more RPO. If TVD is mentally effed up and processing slow it would help him immensely having that conflict defender read. It's still a run play at heart so that will make Mario happy, but to use a basketball analogy, sometimes shooters need to see the ball go in a couple of times before they break out of a funk. Limit some of the processing and make these teams get out of the 2 high safety shell they are in.

Advertisement
Back