Vertical routes between the hashes

Nobody wanted to hear Dawson was meh. We should be putting safeties in a bind every play. We have not adjusted to the two high shell at all. Pull one of both of the safeties down if you want to go deep not just every eligible receiver run as far as you can essentially running a 4 vert we loved during the Richt era with a mini wrinkle

Advertisement
I answered it later in the thread. Restrepo’s presumed post was to come at around 20 yards. It means he’ll have run 20 yards on or just outside the hash, vertically, before we’d have anything inside. Couple things: (1) he’s not exactly a burner, so need someone there who’s going to climb quicker, (2) you’re still restricting a ton of intermediate space.

This is the INT throw that was intended for Smith. You can watch the play and the different looks.
Honestly, that failure/INT was more on scheme than on TVD. He has nothing. Based on that screenshot (at the time he has to pull the trigger) he made the best read there was. His best option was probably to throw it away since he is injured and scrambling / tuck and run is not really viable.

Attacking that area would make the Safeties play honest and his job easier. It's a simple sport really.
Steve Young told Brady he’d complete 80-85 percent in todays football because you can’t defend the middle of the field , in between the hashes .Brady agreed. Not having a te living there is criminal.

Last edited:
Advertisement
While reviewing some of the UVA game (I was actually checking for how many defenders we were inviting into the box), I saw this image pop up again: everything outside the hashes.

View attachment 263696

In this case, 6 defenders covering 4 eligible receivers completely outside the hashes.

You can do the Math. It’s a restricted space. And, there is a world of space in the middle.

It’s something I also mentioned during the GT game - where we stayed outside the hashes a ton, until we successfully tried a couple vertical routes (I believe one to Young and one to Restrepo) *splitting their 2 deep Safeties.*

Thought we could discuss the different reasons we’re limiting the field more often than is beneficial and what, within the ‘infusion of Air Raid concepts,’ we can do differently. I know many will just say ‘it’s on TVD,’ but there has to be more to it.

Have at it…
Ro talked about this on SOTG. You need to release a back or TE down the middle of the field.

Steve Young told Brady he’d complete 80-85 percent in todays football because you can’t defend the middle of the field , in between the gashes. Brady agreed. Not having a te living there is criminal.

Facts. It's checkers, not chess. I sent this post to Dawson, Mario and Beard.

It's so obvious even I've seen it and posted about it on here lol. Mesh concepts, drags, slants, TE's w/seam option routes, angle routes by the RBs...all of those things are staples of a traditional Air Raid. I know they're in Dawson's bag somewhere. WAY past time to pull them out and use them. Dawson is a marked improvement over Gatazz, but if Dawson can't/won't put those things into play, he's handcuffing us just the same way as Gatazz did last year. Put these guys in positions to succeed and make big plays in space! You don't have to throw the ball 30 yards or more in the air to get big plays with the guys we have on our roster.

Advertisement
Route replacement was lacking vs UVA. If Restrepo is IR and going to change routes, he has to tell his OR to occupy the other space (hash, number, post), then tell the Q. Hand signal stuff.

Not sure where the fin and pop RPO's have gone. Glance isn't even there much. Relegated to bubble and smoke. But when teams plan to drop 7-8 because Van Dyke won't/can't run, that's what you get.

McCormick is so slow in space teams just leave him uncovered and then rally to him. Is he 28 or 48?

@LuCane do you have a presnap screenshot? I’m curious how much liberty TVd has to change plays at the LOS. Pretty terrible play against 2 man.

I’m assuming it was 3rd down and 10 plus. Would love to see a guy like arroyo or Williams matched against a slot corner hitting a 8-10 yard post here

Last edited:
Would be cool if someone actually asked our coaches questions like this

I find it hard to believe TVD can’t complete a pass over the middle of the field and Dawson somehow forgot that we are allowed to throw there

That UVA game has gotta be one of the most inexplicable games I’ve ever watched

What else did he say? He has good breakdowns and I was re-watching the game for something totally different (numbers in the box). This just stood out because I saw the pattern from the GT game.
He mentioned that the Texas route for the RB out of the backfield would be wide open, but we seem to always keep them in to max protect or flare them out to the sideline

Advertisement
Would be cool if someone actually asked our coaches questions like this

I find it hard to believe TVD can’t complete a pass over the middle of the field and Dawson somehow forgot that we are allowed to throw there

That UVA game has gotta be one of the most inexplicable games I’ve ever watched
Would be nice if anyone asked any real questions. I'm still wondering why the punt returner is in the extra shirt vs the random guy on the return team.

Advertisement
As soon as the WRs pictured cuts infield their CBs will follow and the safeties in zone will move to double cover. The field is empty because there is no one there to cover.

OCs call what their players can run and run well. if we're not targeting the middle of the field, there is almost certainly a personnel reason for that. there are exceptions of course among truly bad OCs, but dawson isn't one. he may not be a world-beater, but he's also not a scrub.

for the love of god pls use TE over the middle and if that is impossible slip a RB over the middle. need to incorporate all our talents

Gattis bunched everyone inside hash. Dawson bunches everyone outside. That's actually hilarious.
So, basically, what you’re saying is that if we could just combine Gattis and Dawson we would have the perfect OC.

1698765262943.gif

Advertisement
Back