Validation

View as article
- This wasn't just a game between the #23 program and an unranked team. It was a game between two programs desperate for greatness. Two programs that have invested tens of millions into the cause. Two programs that have let their fanbases down for decades. It was a must win and Miami won.

- The word that comes to mind is validation. Cristobal came to town with three primary objectives- build an elite offensive line, overhaul the talent and put out a physically tough team. There has been tremendous progress in all three areas.

- Tyler Van Dyke reminds me of an old-school cowboy. Some people want him to be a more fiery leader, but his cool demeanor helps steady the tide when adversity hits. He had the same expression when we were giving the game away in the first as he did at the end. When he hit the last dagger TD to Jacolby, he walked off the field without even lifting his hands. He expected it. Superstar performance from him today.

- It took Cristobal and Mirabal one year to build the best offensive line since 2001. They were all good, and Jalen Rivers and Matt Lee in particular were outstanding. If you are elite at quarterback and offensive line, you have a chance to win a lot of games. We are. When was the last time you watched an Alabama game and felt like you were watching an inferior product at those two positions?

- As discussed on here and the CanesInSight podcast, the WR position has taken a huge leap forward. Xavier Restrepo is one of my favorite Canes in recent memory. On top of all the plays he makes, he is right there blowing people up on Brashard Smith's kickoff return. Pure football player. We missed him tremendously last year. Colbie Young is a different player now that he is in peak condition. And this game had to be an enormous confidence boost for the gifted Jacolby George. The past two staffs have been on him for inconsistency, and he was certainly inconsistent yesterday. But he persevered through the mistakes and won us the game. It was also nice to see Isaiah Horton make a monster play. He's dealt with some of the same issues as George and was injured during camp, but flashed the talent that had the staff comparing him to Ahmmon Richards.

- Lance Guidry went toe-to-toe with Bobby Petrino and put him back in a neckbrace. Texas A&M averaged 6.3 yards per pass, 3.3 per rush and turned it over three times. If not for special teams miscues and some penalties, it would have been even uglier. This is the biggest opportunity of Guidry's life and he is crushing it so far. One underrated story- the across-the-board improvement in tackling. Even when TAMU made a good play, it never became a great play because of sloppy tackling.

- Shannon Dawson also quieted some critics. This wasn't Mario force-feeding caveman football. We saw an efficient, modern offense that had no resemblance to the boring mess that went to College Station last year. The red zone calls in particular were outstanding- schemed up TDs to Young and George, and Fletcher lead blocking for a long Parrish run.

- I also want to give some love to DB Coach Jahmile Addae. I've been critical of him and his group looked to be the biggest weakness headed into this matchup. But they stepped up huge against some big-time WRs. Jaden Davis, Daryl Porter and Te'Cory Couch all played some of the best football of their lives.

- James Williams looked like a five star. The referees will arrest him before the end of the season, but he cares. The closing speed on his third-down tackle at the beginning of the fourth quarter was eye-popping.

- The news on Kam Kinchens after the game was bigger than the win. He is the definition of an All-American. In many ways, he is our Ed Reed. While he has a huge future off the field, he also has a lot of dreams on the field. Thank the Lord that all of those dreams remain intact.

- The least valuable performers yesterday- the refs and the stadium DJ who played "Livin' La Vida Loca" after the last George TD.

- There are a lot of fence-sitters with this program, and I don't blame them. But this win gave them a reason to believe. That goes for fans and recruits. I expect a huge wave of momentum in the next few weeks with the fanbase, recruiting and the media. Hopefully this team handles success as well as they handle adversity.
Absolute PERFECT write up.

Just an all-around A+ game/team yesterday. Of course we made a few mistakes but that team was prepared, put in positions to succeed and then went out there and executed. Based on what we saw yesterday, this team can play with anyone and if TVD continues to play at that type of level, sky is the limit.

Also, I 1000% whole heartedly agree on X. I’d go to war with that dog. That block on the KO return was as good as it gets. Putting your body on the line for the TEAM. Got goose bumps just typing that.

Happy Sunday people!!!

Advertisement
- This wasn't just a game between the #23 program and an unranked team. It was a game between two programs desperate for greatness. Two programs that have invested tens of millions into the cause. Two programs that have let their fanbases down for decades. It was a must win and Miami won.

- The word that comes to mind is validation. Cristobal came to town with three primary objectives- build an elite offensive line, overhaul the talent and put out a physically tough team. There has been tremendous progress in all three areas.

- Tyler Van Dyke reminds me of an old-school cowboy. Some people want him to be a more fiery leader, but his cool demeanor helps steady the tide when adversity hits. He had the same expression when we were giving the game away in the first as he did at the end. When he hit the last dagger TD to Jacolby, he walked off the field without even lifting his hands. He expected it. Superstar performance from him today.

- It took Cristobal and Mirabal one year to build the best offensive line since 2001. They were all good, and Jalen Rivers and Matt Lee in particular were outstanding. If you are elite at quarterback and offensive line, you have a chance to win a lot of games. We are. When was the last time you watched an Alabama game and felt like you were watching an inferior product at those two positions?

- As discussed on here and the CanesInSight podcast, the WR position has taken a huge leap forward. Xavier Restrepo is one of my favorite Canes in recent memory. On top of all the plays he makes, he is right there blowing people up on Brashard Smith's kickoff return. Pure football player. We missed him tremendously last year. Colbie Young is a different player now that he is in peak condition. And this game had to be an enormous confidence boost for the gifted Jacolby George. The past two staffs have been on him for inconsistency, and he was certainly inconsistent yesterday. But he persevered through the mistakes and won us the game. It was also nice to see Isaiah Horton make a monster play. He's dealt with some of the same issues as George and was injured during camp, but flashed the talent that had the staff comparing him to Ahmmon Richards.

- Lance Guidry went toe-to-toe with Bobby Petrino and put him back in a neckbrace. Texas A&M averaged 6.3 yards per pass, 3.3 per rush and turned it over three times. If not for special teams miscues and some penalties, it would have been even uglier. This is the biggest opportunity of Guidry's life and he is crushing it so far. One underrated story- the across-the-board improvement in tackling. Even when TAMU made a good play, it never became a great play because of sloppy tackling.

- Shannon Dawson also quieted some critics. This wasn't Mario force-feeding caveman football. We saw an efficient, modern offense that had no resemblance to the boring mess that went to College Station last year. The red zone calls in particular were outstanding- schemed up TDs to Young and George, and Fletcher lead blocking for a long Parrish run.

- I also want to give some love to DB Coach Jahmile Addae. I've been critical of him and his group looked to be the biggest weakness headed into this matchup. But they stepped up huge against some big-time WRs. Jaden Davis, Daryl Porter and Te'Cory Couch all played some of the best football of their lives.

- James Williams looked like a five star. The referees will arrest him before the end of the season, but he cares. The closing speed on his third-down tackle at the beginning of the fourth quarter was eye-popping.

- The news on Kam Kinchens after the game was bigger than the win. He is the definition of an All-American. In many ways, he is our Ed Reed. While he has a huge future off the field, he also has a lot of dreams on the field. Thank the Lord that all of those dreams remain intact.

- The least valuable performers yesterday- the refs and the stadium DJ who played "Livin' La Vida Loca" after the last George TD.

- There are a lot of fence-sitters with this program, and I don't blame them. But this win gave them a reason to believe. That goes for fans and recruits. I expect a huge wave of momentum in the next few weeks with the fanbase, recruiting and the media. Hopefully this team handles success as well as they handle adversity.
First D-money am back on the board🙏🙏 when we getting a recruiting upgrade

I’ll give the officials a pass. They overturned the targetting penalty against us. (When is the last time that happened?) they actually called pass interference against the other team when it was questionable too.

Advertisement
Mentally, I think the Horton TD was the biggest moment of the game. So many times in the past, that throw is dropped. That's when a lot of folk realized this team was different. By the time the KO was returned, you could see it on the old timers faces in the stadium: This is Miami Hurricanes Football.

And I'll echo the stadium DJ comment. I normally could care less about such trivial things, but he was awful. Playing Party in the USA and other Y100 junk. Nobody asking you to play ***umean or SkeeYee or whatever -- we understand, it's a family event -- but still. Do better. Whoever does the video replays and stats also needs to go.

- the refs were ridiculous all game (poor Mauigoa had like 65 yards of penalties between them)
- Anez Cooper is a fkn MAN
- Parrish played his *** off
- J Davis was a **** maniac
- JWilliams had a few ole style tackle attempts but he also had some amazing wrap up tackles
- Was worried about our punter but he played nice as well
- ST tackling infinitely better
- JHH seemed from watching him to make a big impact when he was in
JDavis was a DOG yesterday. Kid played his a$$ off and I love it.

It was the effort man. The effort this team put in had me almost in tears. I saw big Cooper grap Parrish on one play to help with extra yards. George and his early struggles had me wanting the coach to send him to the locker room. I'll eat my crow on that. I'm glad we didn't.
LOVED that play. Parrish ran his a$$ off for like a gain of 7-8 and then big Anez literally hugged him and pulled him for another 3-4 yards. Just plays like that man. They are playing as a TEAM.

Advertisement
The Williams play that D$ referenced reminded me of a Rickey Henderson steal attempt in his prime plus the physicality of FB.
That tackle/hit was Canes brand to the nth degree
Being a blue jays fan, that Rickey Henderson reference just made my heart skip a beat. In the playoffs against us when he played for Oakland he would battle a 10 pitch at bat, walk, steel second and third and get home on a sacrifice bunt seemingly every time he got to the plate..
Thank God the Jays were smart enough to acquire him after a couple years of that nonsense.

Sorry for derailing the thread my dudes

We finally looked like a big boy football program. My favorite part was we took two self inflicted TAM uppercuts early and the team didn't flinch. Any Miami team the last 20 years would have crumbled and woe is me would have set in. Not this team. It wasn't perfect, it was sloppy at times but man the passion these players and coaches had was oozing.

Special shootout to TVD. He put on one of the best QB performances I've seen in modern football. And that includes 4-5 drops. He was nearly flawless.

So happy to hear on Kam! Hope he continues to get better.

Advertisement
He also had a big block to allow Parrish to get outside and get a good run for a 1st down late in the game when we needed to keep the drive alive and the clock moving.
I wonder if we could use Chaney a bit like we used Najeh Davenport in 2000-1. Obviously we don’t use a traditional FB anymore, but using a split back formation so you can have 2 RB’s with the ability to run. Block and catch from both RB’s would be pretty interesting to see. This would also allow us to have a 2nd RB on the field which can help when a team has 4 good RB’s.

- the refs were ridiculous all game (poor Mauigoa had like 65 yards of penalties between them)
- Anez Cooper is a fkn MAN
- Parrish played his *** off
- J Davis was a **** maniac
- JWilliams had a few ole style tackle attempts but he also had some amazing wrap up tackles
- Was worried about our punter but he played nice as well
- ST tackling infinitely better
- JHH seemed from watching him to make a big impact when he was in

Any body else notice Bain deboing Daniels for his 305 towel after he fumbled at 18:50

Advertisement
"The Great Wall of Mirabal" is a sight to see...
This. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

it’s why, even though everyone including myself want the best ever five stars, I am not concerned when they take a 3 star as they obviously see someone they can develop.

Haven’t really done anything to suggest they can’t yet.

Really nice game to build on.

Am I the only one still watching highlights from yesterday's game this morning (and I was there)? #giveittomeagain(in Dan Le Batard rant voice - pause)
The real MVP of yesterday was my fiancé for being asleep at 5am but still supporting me as I’m going frame by frame going “you see this block?? This is our best wide receiver springing this kick return! Do you realize what this means?! Look at him!”

Advertisement
Back