Off-Topic UVA shooting - Chris Darnell Jones Jr Virginia Manhunt

This is why I told my GF that if our kids go away for school I’m doing whatever it takes for them to be off campus. You ain’t getting my kids plus they’ll be strapped and know how to use it.
A lot of schools have a requirement to live in the dorms your Freshman year, but you can get around it some places. I had a friend at Pitt and one at WVU that both paid for the room as required their Freshman years, but actually lived an apartment they paid for also. Well, let's be real. That their parents paid for also.

Advertisement
This is why I told my GF that if our kids go away for school I’m doing whatever it takes for them to be off campus. You ain’t getting my kids plus they’ll be strapped and know how to use it.
Doesn't matter where your kid lives, on or off campus. If they were in that particular class taking the field trip, they woulda been on that bus.

Advertisement

A lot of schools have a requirement to live in the dorms your Freshman year, but you can get around it some places. I had a friend at Pitt and one at WVU that both paid for the room as required their Freshman years, but actually lived an apartment they paid for also. Well, let's be real. That their parents paid for also.

In a situation like this I don't really think any amount of planning or preparation would've saved anyone. You're kinda either going to be part of a campus community or not and this didn't seem like a situation where a "good guy with a gun" would've actually limited the carnage inside of a bus.

But as far as off-campus housing strategies, I actually know a few people that have just bought townhouses or apartments near the schools their kids were attending and then immediately sold them upon graduation. Obviously this is dependent upon the real estate market (these instances were in Dallas & Pittsburgh) and your means but they ended up actually making money on the deal instead of spending anything on campus housing or rent for 4 years. Both kids eventually had roommates in the 2nd bedrooms that paid rent too.

Sucks that this is even having to be discussed under these circumstances though.

"It's been about month since Chris Sr. last saw his son, who had come home to do laundry. Chris Sr. said he had a conversation with his dad while he was there about some things happening at school.

"Yeah he was real paranoid, when I talked to him, about some things. He wouldn’t tell me everything," said Chris Sr. "He said some people were picking on him or whatever, he didn’t know how to handle it. I just told him to just go to school, don’t pay them no mind, do what you got to do, you only got one more year."

Sounding like retaliation

Shouldn't have moved this one to the OT board. This was worthy of being a thread in the main board. JMHO.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back