USC and UCLA to B1G

14. Oregon - Univ. of Oregon

Oregon is the 27th largest state. Oregon's population is only 4.2 million.

I literally listed the 13 largest states, because sooooo much of the US population is in those states.

---61.8% of the US (plus DC) population is in those 13 states, all of which have populations that exceed 7.5 million.
---52.9% of the US population is in 12 of those states (excluding Texas).
---46.9% of the US population is in 11 of those states (excluding Texas and New York, I really don't know if the Big 10 Network got credit for Rutgers in NY).

So the amount of revenue that the Big 10 rakes in from the Big 10 Network would be MASSSSSIVE, just from locking down 11 or 12 of the 13 largest states.

On the SEC side, nobody doubts Texas is huge, but Oklahoma is the 28th largest state. Not sure if the SEC Network gets any contractual kickers or extra money for filling in "already existing states" (such as, taking F$U or Clemson or Louisville), but I have no doubt they'd get a nice bump by expanding into the final two states of the Confederacy (NC and VA).

Advertisement
Is this the Freudian slip? This conference is where the sediment will settle. I think you mean AAU.
Yup lol

You're assuming the Big 10 would rather have a University of Miami as it starts its ascension in a major media market than FSU who's mired in mediocracy in the middle of Tallahassee?

Call me crrrrrazzzzzy, huh?

From 2015-2019, Miami was 23rd in most watched college football programs. Source here. Clemson was 9th and FSU was 14th. The writer acknowledges the data isn't super clean but that's at the very least directional data.

In 2021, Miami was 35th. Yikes. Source here.

If you take the orange and green glasses off then there are some underlying concerns about how attractive we are. But I still think our brand would be way too appealing for the SEC and B1G to pass up. Especially if we're consistently winning 9-10 games a year...they'd be chomping on the bit to get access to that type of content.

We've slipped a bit, but we are still hated. If Miami played Indiana or Purdue or Northwestern, I guarantee it will be one of the highest rated games IN THOSE MARKETS. Sure, maybe Phoenix, Arizona won't care. But the Midwesterners who hate us will definitely turn on those TeeVees...

Oregon is the 27th largest state. Oregon's population is only 4.2 million.

I literally listed the 13 largest states, because sooooo much of the US population is in those states.

---61.8% of the US (plus DC) population is in those 13 states, all of which have populations that exceed 7.5 million.
---52.9% of the US population is in 12 of those states (excluding Texas).
---46.9% of the US population is in 11 of those states (excluding Texas and New York, I really don't know if the Big 10 Network got credit for Rutgers in NY).

So the amount of revenue that the Big 10 rakes in from the Big 10 Network would be MASSSSSIVE, just from locking down 11 or 12 of the 13 largest states.

On the SEC side, nobody doubts Texas is huge, but Oklahoma is the 28th largest state. Not sure if the SEC Network gets any contractual kickers or extra money for filling in "already existing states" (such as, taking F$U or Clemson or Louisville), but I have no doubt they'd get a nice bump by expanding into the final two states of the Confederacy (NC and VA).

I believe Washington & Oregon go to same Super Conf.

Advertisement
We've slipped a bit, but we are still hated. If Miami played Indiana or Purdue or Northwestern, I guarantee it will be one of the highest rated games IN THOSE MARKETS. Sure, maybe Phoenix, Arizona won't care. But the Midwesterners who hate us will definitely turn on those TeeVees...
I just looked at 2017 though.....we had 8 games....yes....8 games...in the top 5 viewership in their respective week for that season.

Wisconsin bowl game, Clemson ACC championship game, Virginia, Pitt, FSU, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech.

If you're SEC or B1G you look at that season and think what if???

I just looked at 2017 though.....we had 8 games....yes....8 games...in the top 5 viewership in their respective week for that season.

Wisconsin bowl game, Clemson ACC championship game, Virginia, Pitt, FSU, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech.

My Auburn buddy whose follows all things SEC very closely said they would absolutely take Miami, FSU and Clemson in an instant.

This would give the SEC all 3 major Florida schools and the 2 major South Carolina schools.... they already snagged the 2 biggest in Texas.

The question would be who would be the 4th school to make it 20 teams in the SEC if that happened.

I wonder how the middle of the road schools in the B1G/SEC feel about all this? Are some of these schools going to be doormats all for the sake of money?
The whole thing is dumb - once you have super conferences even the teams that are good now are going to end up with 6-6 type records. Will Texas vs LSU be special when it is a regular occurrence and they both have multiple losses? Meanwhile a bunch of schools are going to be left out entirely.

I realize it is the reality and we need to play along if we don't want to get left behind, but it really seems that college football is canabalizing itself for no good reason

Last edited:
True. But go back to the Big 10 Network deal, they get "enhanced" carriage fees any time they go into a new state.

Which is why Rutgers and Maryland got invitations.

Which is why USC/UCLA happened.

Which is why Washington/Oregon is happening.

And which is why FLORIDA generally, and Miami SPECIFICALLY, have a good shot of being next on-deck.

1. California - USC/UCLA - largest state (by population, in case that nutjob porster who thinks we are talking about square mileage is still around)
2. Texas - NOT HAPPENING, though UT would have been a great choice
3. Florida - University of Miami
4. New York - Syracuse in play, or did Rutgers "count"?
5. Pennsylvania - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
6. Illinois - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
7. Ohio - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
8. Georgia - GaTech, and makes academic sense
9. North Carolina - UNC (maaaaaybe Duke too?), and makes academic sense
10. Michigan - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
11. New Jersey - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
12. Virginia - UVa, and makes academic sense
13. Washington - Univ. of Washington

Again, by simply adding USC, UCLA, and Washington, and with invitations to UM, GaTech, UNC/Duke, and UVa (and possibly Syracuse), the Big 10 would be able to get MASSIVE carriage fees from cable networks for either 11 or 12 of the 13 largest states (by population).

Makes too much sense. Now, if some porsters would just stop yapping about the 10-year records of, say, West Virginia, or the NY6 bowl history of, say, Cincinnati.
Except that local market fees are less and less important as people move away from cable and so many of the games are carried on national/streaming channels.

Advertisement
Horrible past (and possibly present) ACC leadership...

Original Big 12 grant of rights - expiring soon. Original Pac 12 grant of rights - expiring soon. Original ACC grant of rights - HEY, GUYSM, WE'VE GOT TEN MORE YEARS BEYOND THE BIG 12/PAC 12!!!

We created and ratified a document that, definitionally, puts us in a straightjacket in case the college football landscape shifts again...

...and, right on cue, the college football landscape is shifting again...
I don't think the grant of rights was the problem, it was actually very smart for protecting the conference from being poached (which is the Commissioner's job). The problem is the incredibly ****** TV deal they agreed to.

My Auburn buddy whose follows all things SEC very closely said they would absolutely take Miami, FSU and Clemson in an instant.

This would give the SEC all 3 major Florida schools and the 2 major South Carolina schools.... they already snagged the 2 biggest in Texas.

The question would be who would be the 4th school to make it 20 teams in the SEC if that happened.

I'd like to think a team like VT would like to hop on board as well. Highly doubt SEC would be able to convince Notre Dame to join. B1G seems like a perfect fit for them.

Assuming that happened and the NC schools want to stay together, Louisville would make a lot of sense. Or VT.

Advertisement
From 2015-2019, Miami was 23rd in most watched college football programs. Source here. Clemson was 9th and FSU was 14th. The writer acknowledges the data isn't super clean but that's at the very least directional data.

In 2021, Miami was 35th. Yikes. Source here.

If you take the orange and green glasses off then there are some underlying concerns about how attractive we are. But I still think our brand would be way too appealing for the SEC and B1G to pass up. Especially if we're consistently winning 9-10 games a year...they'd be chomping on the bit to get access to that type of content.

Because TV viewership numbers can vary depending on a ton or factors, you would have to use a fairly large (multiple seasons) sample size to get a realistic number of average audience.

Using MIami for example, I would have to assume that because they play a significant number of games on the ACC network ( a network many people don't have on their cable packages) it's going to affect viewership. As evidenced by the fact that only Clemson (19th) and FSU(25th) were ahead of Miami in 2021 in the ACC and neither of them was ranked particularly high either. Conference champ Pitt and runner up Wake Forrest ranked 53rd and 55th respectively.

You also have to factor in things like championship games and bowl games which often aren't competing with any other games for viewership. We didn't play in a bowl game in 2021. Even a mid tier bowl would still get tons of views because it's often the only game available during it's time slot.

I'm curious how Stanford feels right now. If they feel left behind by USC and UCLA, they would give the SEC a big academic bump.

Because TV viewership numbers can vary depending on a ton or factors, you would have to use a fairly large (multiple seasons) sample size to get a realistic number of average audience.

Using MIami for example, I would have to assume that because they play a significant number of games on the ACC network ( a network many people don't have on their cable packages) it's going to affect viewership. As evidenced by the fact that only Clemson and FSU were ahead of Miami in 2021 in the ACC and neither of them was ranked particularly high either. Conference champ Pitt and runner up Wake Forrest ranked 53rd and 55th respectively.

You also have to factor in things like championship games and bowl games which often aren't competing with any other games for viewership. We didn't play in a bowl game in 2021. Even a mid tier bowl would still get tons of views because it's often the only game available during it's time slot.
Totally hear you. The 2015-2019 source didn't include bowl games or championship games. But your point on ACC Network still sticks.

The 2017 season is the most interesting one to me. When we're on, everybody wants to tune in.

If you replace ACC opponents with B1G and SEC opponents, you likely have Miami catapult into top 10 viewership easily. Potentially top 5 if we're rolling.

Advertisement
Assuming that happened and the NC schools want to stay together, Louisville would make a lot of sense. Or VT.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went after Georgia Tech to solidify the State of Georgia or Louisville is possible

That would give them the states of Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia or Kentucky , Alabama, South Carolina and Florida.

I don't give a ****e what idiot fans and idiot sportswriters say on podcasts, I only care about what decision makers at universities and TV networks say. And I guaran-*******-tee the important decision-makers view Miami as a desired school.
Miami is a golden ticket. Sure as an athletic program the last decade and a half has been pretty bad, but the power brokers have to look at the recent influx of cash and renewed support and see the future potential. What other market is actually obtainable right now, other than ND? Getting South Florida gives the B1G every market not in a confederate state essentially. These moves are about money and Miami financially makes a ton of sense for the B1G, short term and especially long term.

I wonder if the basketball blue bloods would join together for basketball purposes. UNC, Duke and Kansas hold a ton of value.

Advertisement
Back