USC and UCLA to B1G

I agree that Miami and the other attractive schools are at a disadvantage, but whole heartedly disagree on the grant of rights - the point of the grant of rights was keeping the ACC together and it is doing just that. Do you really think the ACC would be in a better place if Miami, FSU, Clemson and other attractive schools were able to leave with a low bar? The PAC 12 is probably not going to exist soon and if it does manage to stick around it will almost certainly be much weaker. The BIG 12 is in a worse place b/c OU and UT left.

So yeah, it has put Miami, FSU, Clemson, etc at a disadvantage on the national landscape and maybe those schools should have pushed to make the deal less restrictive so that they had more flexibility, but it does not do the ACC any good if those schools had more flexibility to leave. As bad a position that ACC is in now, it would be worse if those other schools could leave.

Oh my lord.

Nobody said NOT to do the grant-of-rights. JUST DON'T DO IT FOREVER.

Did a grant-of-rights help the Big 10 and Pac 12 stay together? Sure. Until they expired.

But, hey, thanks for your input, Mr. Swofford...

Advertisement
I will admit that I do not know where this all ends up. This thread is littered with assumptions and logical (or not-so-logical) leaps.

And porsters who don't know what they are talking about.

Lots and lots of porsters who don't know what they are talking about.

Please...just, please don't. Have you actually read about the Big 10 Network's deal? If so, you would see that the cable networks ALREADY AGREED to pay the Big 10 a premium carriage fee if they add NEW STATES to their footprint.

You can talk about "local market fees", but that's not what I'm talking about. Are you another one of these young posters who are going to tell us how "streaming is the future"? If you just do the research on the Big 10 Network, you can understand how it throws off so much money. Please. That's all I'm asking you. I don't want to hear about "local market fees" when I'm talking about enhanced carriage prices.
Why are you getting so worked up - this isn't personal...

I have not read specifically about the Big 10 network's deal, but am interested if you have a link especially in regards to getting into new states like you mention. I have read/listened to podcasts where they have talked about how TV markets are having less and less impact as things shift to streaming and so many different channels offer the games that it is no longer people just watching whatever is on abc/cbs/fox in their local market, I am not sure why it would be different for a state vs a TV market, but am open to learning why.

This is the last I am going to say on this, b/c I am sure the rest of the board doesn't care about us going back and forth,
Did a grant-of-rights help the Big 10 and Pac 12 stay together? Sure. Until they expired.
This just proved exactly my point. The grant of rights expired (or is very close to it) and those conferences got raided and are weaker overall.

There is a difference between what is best for the conference and what is best for individual schools. The grant of rights is what was best for the conference. ACC teams like Miami should have used their leverage to try and make that deal shorter.

From 2015-2019, Miami was 23rd in most watched college football programs. Source here. Clemson was 9th and FSU was 14th. The writer acknowledges the data isn't super clean but that's at the very least directional data.

In 2021, Miami was 35th. Yikes. Source here.

If you take the orange and green glasses off then there are some underlying concerns about how attractive we are. But I still think our brand would be way too appealing for the SEC and B1G to pass up. Especially if we're consistently winning 9-10 games a year...they'd be chomping on the bit to get access to that type of content.

You’re preaching to the choir. The contrarian side of my brain tells me that this is also their opportunity to kill us. We go away and SFL athletes are 100% free game with no local comp.

We are attractive. But they don’t NEED us the way the Big East and ACC did. What we need to hope for is each conference being scared the other one will get us. Unless they smartly collude to freeze us out.

Rad may turn out to be the more important hire than Mario.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You’re preaching to the choir. The contrarian side of my brain tells me that this is also their opportunity to kill us. We go away and SFL athletes are 100% free game with no local comp.

We are attractive. If they don’t NEED us the way the Big East and ACC did. What we need to hope for is each conference being scared the other one will get us. Unless they smartly collude to freeze us out.

I was thinking the same thing when he mentioned recruiting. Freeze us out and it’s not longer our backyard and Miami is done forever!

From 2015-2019, Miami was 23rd in most watched college football programs. Source here. Clemson was 9th and FSU was 14th. The writer acknowledges the data isn't super clean but that's at the very least directional data.

In 2021, Miami was 35th. Yikes. Source here.

If you take the orange and green glasses off then there are some underlying concerns about how attractive we are. But I still think our brand would be way too appealing for the SEC and B1G to pass up. Especially if we're consistently winning 9-10 games a year...they'd be chomping on the bit to get access to that type of content.
I don't know but when you stick games on ACCN or worse because the teams we play are so uninteresting you get no eye balls. when we play a big team we attract viewers.

We are attractive. But they don’t NEED us the way the Big East and ACC did. What we need to hope for is each conference being scared the other one will get us. Unless they smartly collude to freeze us out.

Agree, and the sooner we leave this sinking ship the better.

The B1G and the $EC may not need Miami but a strong Canes team is strong for ratings, no? Some of the most-watched CFB games ever are Miami games when the program was at a peak, or near. What were the ratings for Miami-ND ESPN ratings in 2017? The poor viewership you referenced has been during the decline of the past 15 years and a ****-poor ACCN.

I would think the B1G would love a piece of the Southern markets, especially SFL, if the Canes are good. Not to mention the Northern markets. The conference already enjoys some of those riches but gains by adding Miami.

Like USC is out West, a strong Miami team is good for business.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but many "talking heads" are speculating that Fox was behind the USC/UCLA move as much as anything else. That it was basically return fire at eSECpn for the Oklahoma/Texas move.

This is why I think FSU will be tied to us when we go and it'll be viewed almost as a tie-breaker between the conference that got Texas and the one that got California. The state of Florida is too big a domino in multiple aspects and Miami too big a national brand with growth potential for there to be any collusion to lock us out because certain programs fear our awakening.

On a different note, did anyone see Ol' Pawllll and Pete Thamel making the rounds yesterday? Pawllll only wanted to talk about how the ACC is a trash heap outside of Clemson except for parroting Thamel's ridiculous notion that UNC is super valuable and basically the only other coveted program in the conference. Thamel kept ranting about the Charlotte/Raleigh TV market. I actually had to go check to make sure he didn't graduate from UNC as the propaganda he was spewing was so thick.

This is the last I am going to say on this, b/c I am sure the rest of the board doesn't care about us going back and forth,

This just proved exactly my point. The grant of rights expired (or is very close to it) and those conferences got raided and are weaker overall.

There is a difference between what is best for the conference and what is best for individual schools. The grant of rights is what was best for the conference. ACC teams like Miami should have used their leverage to try and make that deal shorter.

Dopey porst, as per usual.

The "conference" IS the individual schools.

Listening to syndicated radio this morning & Vegas thinks Miami & irish are the most logical & attractive names left. They had no answer for cost aspect.

If the ACC remains intact, it's gonna take an undefeated season (with impressive point totals) to even sniff the playoffs. One and even two loss teams in the two new Super Conferences will easily get priority. Mario's job just got harder.

Advertisement
This is obviously couched with "at this time" but those other tweets about Oregon and Washington being close to leaving for the B1G or having already "applied" are 100% false.

Why are you getting so worked up - this isn't personal...

I have not read specifically about the Big 10 network's deal, but am interested if you have a link especially in regards to getting into new states like you mention. I have read/listened to podcasts where they have talked about how TV markets are having less and less impact as things shift to streaming and so many different channels offer the games that it is no longer people just watching whatever is on abc/cbs/fox in their local market, I am not sure why it would be different for a state vs a TV market, but am open to learning why.

So if someone is talking about grilling steaks, why do you think you should just walk up and talk about this podcast you listened to about how to bake a cake?

There are reports going back a decade that talk about the Big 10 Network. If you enjoy podcasts so much, maybe go out and do some googling. When the Big 10 managed to get its network carried on every cable channel in America, they negotiated a PREMIUM carriage rate if they added new states to their footprint. In other words, it is MORE valuable (to both cable companies and the Big 10 Network) for the Big 10 to add teams in NEW MARKETS (like Rutgers and Maryland) than it is to add a school in an already-existing market (like Pitt).

But you're going to bore us all to tears with your digression into a podcast that you listened to once about streaming.

Do the research. Plenty of google results. Educate yourself as to WHY the Big 10 has been going into brand-new markets, instead of adding more schools in states where they are already located (Pitt, Iowa State).

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but many "talking heads" are speculating that Fox was behind the USC/UCLA move as much as anything else. That it was basically return fire at eSECpn for the Oklahoma/Texas move.

This is why I think FSU will be tied to us when we go and it'll be viewed almost as a tie-breaker between the conference that got Texas and the one that got California. The state of Florida is too big a domino in multiple aspects and Miami too big a national brand with growth potential for there to be any collusion to lock us out because certain programs fear our awakening.

On a different note, did anyone see Ol' Pawllll and Pete Thamel making the rounds yesterday? Pawllll only wanted to talk about how the ACC is a trash heap outside of Clemson except for parroting Thamel's ridiculous notion that UNC is super valuable and basically the only other coveted program in the conference. Thamel kept ranting about the Charlotte/Raleigh TV market. I actually had to go check to make sure he didn't graduate from UNC as the propaganda he was spewing was so thick.
And doesn’t Fox broadcast the Big 12, which added UCF, for the Orlando/Tampa market?

Advertisement
Lol all the ACC teams aren’t going to the Big 10/ SEC. There is going to be major collateral damage. The majority are going to get left out IMO. No one wants our dregs. Miami, FSU, Clemson, and UNC are the primary candidates. And I’m not even 1000% that were ok.

So all those teams that would be left out are going to try to keep the TV deal and the conference intact.

You are probably right. One possibility most of us are discounting because of how horrible ACC leadership has been is ACC expansion. With the super B1G and SEC, who is going to have room on the schedule for Notre Dame? I think they have to join a conference, and they can't join a conference other than the acc. If ND does decide to join, then the ACC will probably be able to force espn to change the current bad deal (it would be crazy if espn gets the pay the schools the same amount if the golden child of cfb joins the acc). If ND becomes a full member, then the acc has to pillage the Pac12 and Big12 for their remaining best teams. The acc would probably need to be rebrand and would be picky about getting academic schools. I think it's safe to say Baylor, Stanford, Washington, and Cal all have the academic profile the ACC wants.

Why wouldn’t the B1G add Boston College? Years ago the conference accepted Rutgers solely for the NY/NJ TV market, and Maryland for the DC market. Rutgers is an historically awful football program and Maryland was/is nothing special. Boston is a top 10 Nielsen market.

And doesn’t Fox broadcast the Big 12, which added UCF, for the Orlando/Tampa market?
Exactly. What happens with UCF after this all shakes out could be pretty interesting too. When/if the Arizonas and the Georgia Techs and Okie States and Iowa States get added somewhere then does UCF too or do they even jump some traditional P5 teams?

I personally think they would've greatly benefitted from this all being delayed like another 5 years and at least being able to have had the opportunity to have success in a watered down Big 12.

Then again, their fanbase had become exceedingly annoying too so I also wouldn't mind if they didn't make the cut in a potential 2 conference landscape and were basically relegated back to G5 status.

Why wouldn’t the B1G add Boston College? Years ago the conference accepted Rutgers solely for the NY/NJ TV market, and Maryland for the DC market. Rutgers is an historically awful football program and Maryland was/is nothing special. Boston is a top 10 Nielsen market.
BC is not the Boston market. ND and Miami are more Boston than BC. BC is loathed in Boston.

Advertisement
Back