USC and UCLA to B1G

It wasn’t a investigation. Did they snoop around ? Yes but it was not a investigation. That takes time.

Ruiz hasn’t changed a **** thing after that meeting. If anything, from my understanding, both party’s left that meeting on a good note.

Advertisement
Should’ve happened, and that would’ve been an awesome concept, & imo, a much better proposal that would’ve been mutually beneficial for the networks & conferences.

Just doing the math right now w/ one of my boys who’s a SC alum. He was heated at the idea, until we just crunch the #’s.

So check this out Tic-TOC;

The B1G will most likely be able to renegotiate their TV deal, however let’s say they don’t renegotiate, & stay pat w/ their current deal which will renew in 2023-4. This new deal is expected to generate $1b/yr in distribution or roughly $71.4m/team under current members. Adding SC & UCLA it becomes $62.5m/members.

Now, compare that to UCLA & SC’s current deal w/ The Pac-12 (mind u, only 12 teams) $21m/team.

Bro, we’re talking about a 300% increase in revenue, AT MINIMUM! This shows the far discrepancy of the conferences. There was no Power 5; it is a Power 2, Medium 3, & G5. SC & UCLA saw the #’s & said loyalty be damned, they gotta take advantage of an opportunity to not be left behind.

Yeah, and the funny thing is that your math example is predicated SOLELY on "same TV rights, just divided among more members". And, sure, technically that is true IF IF IF the TV deal doesn't get renegotiated.

But the other revenues would go up as well. The advertising the Big 10 does, the merch, the licensing...it really goes up once they have access to CA and L.A. itself. This always happens big with merch on a "switch". UM switches to adidas - bump. UM switches back to Nike - bump. But the interesting thing with everything else (ads, licensing, etc.) is that it becomes a permanent bump. And I definitely think that USC/UCLA bring an out-sized impact, even moreso than simply adding 2 teams, they are essentially opening up access to the entire west coast.

Also, during the earlier Big 12 problems (when Nebraska/Mizzou left), I kept telling people that the network "paying the same amount for fewer teams" was going to be the death of the Big 12. Because they got "more money" per school back then, they got used to it. But it was artificial. It was NEVER going to be that good again, and I think Texas and OU figured that out. So before they had to be humbled into taking less money on the next deal, they just jumped to the SEC.

Here's the reality. If taking Notre Dame and a couple of other teams will NOT put the ACC into the same numerical category as the SEC and Big 10, then it's just half-measures. Not good enough. Bound to end in eventual failure.

So who's left in the game? Disney/ABC/ESPN is all in. Fox is so-so. CBS didn't push hard enough to keep the SEC package. NBC has pretty much run up the white flag by shuttering its cable sports channel. So, yeah, in light of all of THAT, I'm not sure that Disney/ABC/ESPN bake enough pies to keep everyone (financially) happy.

There's just not enough room on the dial, and not enough money to share, for five Power Five conferences.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Advertisement
B1G could checkmate all of college football, including the SEC, and add Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame and Miami. Span the entire country with almost every major TV market covered and some seriously enticing matchups.
Actually that would be smart. The SEC really is a stronger TV pull in the SE. A Big with UCLA, USC, ND, UM, OR, WA could be interesting.

Yeah, and the funny thing is that your math example is predicated SOLELY on "same TV rights, just divided among more members". And, sure, technically that is true IF IF IF the TV deal doesn't get renegotiated.

But the other revenues would go up as well. The advertising the Big 10 does, the merch, the licensing...it really goes up once they have access to CA and L.A. itself. This always happens big with merch on a "switch". UM switches to adidas - bump. UM switches back to Nike - bump. But the interesting thing with everything else (ads, licensing, etc.) is that it becomes a permanent bump. And I definitely think that USC/UCLA bring an out-sized impact, even moreso than simply adding 2 teams, they are essentially opening up access to the entire west coast.

Also, during the earlier Big 12 problems (when Nebraska/Mizzou left), I kept telling people that the network "paying the same amount for fewer teams" was going to be the death of the Big 12. Because they got "more money" per school back then, they got used to it. But it was artificial. It was NEVER going to be that good again, and I think Texas and OU figured that out. So before they had to be humbled into taking less money on the next deal, they just jumped to the SEC.

Here's the reality. If taking Notre Dame and a couple of other teams will NOT put the ACC into the same numerical category as the SEC and Big 10, then it's just half-measures. Not good enough. Bound to end in eventual failure.

So who's left in the game? Disney/ABC/ESPN is all in. Fox is so-so. CBS didn't push hard enough to keep the SEC package. NBC has pretty much run up the white flag by shuttering its cable sports channel. So, yeah, in light of all of THAT, I'm not sure that Disney/ABC/ESPN bake enough pies to keep everyone (financially) happy.

There's just not enough room on the dial, and not enough money to share, for five Power Five conferences.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

NBC will likely share the Big 10 rights with Fox. Notre Dame is not going to do us any favors. It will all come down to the Big 10 ceding South Florida to the SEC or not. You end up likely with 40 winners and 29 others trying to put it together. The PAC 10 is dead. The ACC is not dead yet.

Advertisement
B1G could checkmate all of college football, including the SEC, and add Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame and Miami. Span the entire country with almost every major TV market covered and some seriously enticing matchups.
I said that a few days ago. They would cover all 4 points of the compass plus have pretty much all the major media markets. That's why they been able to keep up with the SEC despite the SEC winning most of the titles

Advertisement
my guess is that the SEC wants to keep the conference Southern. They are at 16 teams now. Add Clemson, FSU, Miami and 1 more (maybe GA Tech) and they will be at 20.

That would be fine. Although, I doubt you'll find many ND fans who would claim Miami was one of their 2 biggest rivals. SC and Navy for sure. Michigan and Michigan State would be good choices as well.

Big 10 membership would never stop ND from scheduling Navy. Don't need to put Navy in a conference.

Advertisement
No, I wasn't suggesting the Navy for Big 10 membership. I was just stating the 2 biggest rivals for ND are USC and Navy.
No, I wasn't suggesting the Navy for Big 10 membership. I was just stating the 2 biggest rivals for ND are USC and Navy.
Lets assume Navy doesn't go to the B10. Who would be next school ND would want to come in with? I'd say the bulk of their rivals are in the b10 already and Miami would be a strong pick.

grant of rights? puuuulllease.. that is not an issue. all these pickled headed reporters don't know what they are talking about. you form a super league in the SEC which would be more profitable for the SEC by adding Miami, FSU and Clemson, those 3 schools aren't paying no **** Grant of rights. and if they do it will be pennies.

Advertisement
Back