USC and UCLA to B1G

McMurphy went to Action Network and lost like every credible source he was ever connected to.

Now he just gives out losers on the Big Bets On Campus podcasts.

Advertisement
At this point we're just making up "media markets" then. UVag isn't the DC market (that's Maryland) and the Richmond type markets are actually smaller than the Ft. Myers/Naples one here that we don't even really acknowledge.

Yeah, Virginia is a fascinating state, as far as the markets go. We all know about NoVa/Fairfax/Loudon. Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport News is actually a pretty big market that has NO decent football colleges anywhere nearby. Richmond is getting spillover population from DC and has a surprising number of corporate offices, but it's still not huge. All of the serious football colleges are downstate and inland, C-ville and Blacksburg. Even Liberty is in Lynchburg.

If the SEC goes into Virginia, they will play the long con. The goal will be to slowly win eyeballs across the state with (admittedly) very good football. I think it will be a successful strategy, it's not like Maryland is winning hearts and minds with its Big 10 success.

The same guy that said our AD search and Coach search was a “ **** show”. I’ll trust my Miami sources info over that idiots every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Absolute truth. McMurphy covered USF for a long time and he's got a lot of F$U contacts, but he is CLUELESS on Miami and has zero insight on what we are doing.

Did anybody see Brett McMurphy‘s article where he said the SEC is looking to potentially expand by adding four ACC teams? He saying that they’re targeting FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia. I guess the SEC would see more value getting the North Carolina market, the Virginia market, instead of going after Miami. This would be very concerning and would potentially leave us hoping that we could get picked up by the big 10.

If this scenario plays out then the ACC would have limited options even if it meant somehow combining with the rest of the PAC 10 and the big 12. There wouldn’t be many elite football teams left to merge with.
McMurphy doesn’t know ****.

400041B3-8D07-4ED2-A320-711929DCEDF7.jpeg

Advertisement
All good points that Brett McMurphy is not solid gold when it comes to rumors. And I certainly hope he’s wrong. But sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire. Although I think Miami is probably a better fit for the Big Ten with regards to academics, it makes much more sense geographically for us to be in the SEC. It makes sense for the SEC to pick up several of the higher quality ACC schools and maybe a couple more big 12. Although 20 sounds like an ideal number but I think the SEC and Big Ten will probably end up with about 24 teams each. I just don’t want Miami to be left out of one of those two scenarios.

If I was a betting man, I’d say Clemson, Miami, and FSU are guarantees to the SEC. The 4th spot is a toss up between VT, ULL, UNC, and GT.

Notre Dame and Oregon to the B1G.

Last edited:
The sec and the B1G would 100 percent take Miami. Miami is currently one of the three hot chicks left in the bar.
Exactly. I think people are also taking too narrow a view here when worrying about our prospects. They're possibly still thinking the decision making on this rests with a few stodgy B1G presidents or just Sabag and a few other SEC power coaches/ADs.

It's much bigger than that now. Like I keep saying, Fox was as much responsible for SC & UCLA moving as anything else. eSECpn/Jimmy Pitaro & Fox/Eric Shanks ain't gonna just leave us floating in the wind for long not that we even would be if they weren't involved. This is a nuclear arms race and we still have too much cache on too many fronts for plans to kill us by isolating us or whining about AAU membership to still carry weight.

Did anybody see Brett McMurphy‘s article where he said the SEC is looking to potentially expand by adding four ACC teams? He saying that they’re targeting FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia. I guess the SEC would see more value getting the North Carolina market, the Virginia market, instead of going after Miami. This would be very concerning and would potentially leave us hoping that we could get picked up by the big 10.

If this scenario plays out then the ACC would have limited options even if it meant somehow combining with the rest of the PAC 10 and the big 12. There wouldn’t be many elite football teams left to merge with.

Advertisement
McMurphy was fed that info by an F$U source.

I won't go into it here, but I'd bet that two of those four schools are incorrect.
He's also running with the narrative that originated solely with Pete Thamel that UNC is some superrrrrr attractive program. These guys are that intellectually lazy. They all just feed off of each other's assertions and pure opinions.

Sure, UNC is a "nice" program but it ain't moving any national needles. Not to mention you'd be dealing with their previous (unearned) sense of entitlement and all sorts of hoops issues with rivalries they'll be hard pressed to want to turn into meaningless home-and-home tilts at best.

All good points that Brett McMurphy is not solid gold when it comes to rumors. And I certainly hope he’s wrong. But sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire. Although I think Miami is probably a better fit for the Big Ten with regards to academics, it makes much more sense geographically for us to be in the SEC. It makes sense for the SEC to pick up several of the higher quality ACC schools and maybe a couple more big 12. Although 20 sounds like an ideal number but I think the SEC and Big Ten will probably end up with about 24 teams each. I just don’t want Miami to be left out of one of those two scenarios.
One uninformed article by McMurphy does not equal smoke.

I was at the 2003 Orange Bowl game against Florida State. Although we won, I remember walking out of the stadium thinking it felt odd. Maybe it was because we played them twice that year, a rarity. Maybe, now that the season was over, it was me reflecting on the earlier losses to Virginia Tech and Tennessee that felt so foreign after the stretch of absolute dominance. We had just beaten our rival, but something felt off. There was a level we were used to seeing for 3 years that seemed to be missing. Miami was still Miami, still a top 10 team, arguably still a top 5 team. Perhaps it was just an off year.

We move into 2004, our first year in the ACC. You start to notice the cracks in the foundation, start to realize something much bigger is beginning to fail. The two losses from the previous season were not anomalies. We lose to UNC, Clemson, and again to Virginia Tech. The Peach Bowl against Florida was likely Miami's last gasp of excellence, one final statement game from an era that was ending. In our second year in the ACC, the foundation held for as long as it could, barely making it through the regular season. But in the Peach Bowl it finally fails, not slowly but suddenly. An entire dynasty collapses in four hours. Too quickly to process what had just happened and what that meant for the future.

After that 2003 night in the Orange Bowl, the last game played in the Big East, Miami wouldn't win 10 games in a season for another 14 years. In the historic span stretching from 1983 to 2005 Miami was ranked in the top-5 at some point in 18 out of the 23 seasons. In the 16 seasons that followed Miami accomplished it once, never finishing a season ranked inside the top-10, let alone the top-5. They would only win 2 bowl games in that span. It was an incredibly long period that normalized mediocrity, at points sunk to despair, and ever so briefly spiked at very good. It never, ever reached anywhere near excellence.

The ACC in 2004 was set up to be a powerhouse. With Miami, FSU, and Virginia Tech the conference now had claim to the schools that had played in 5 of the last 6 national championship games. In 1999 both FSU and Va Tech made the championship game. In 2000, while FSU played in the championship, Miami had every right to be there and was an FSU win away from sharing a national title. The 2001 Miami squad made claim to be the greatest college football team ever assembled. The 2002 Miami team was a blown call away from the rare dynastic accomplishment of back-to-back national championships. The conference was primed to be the SEC of today, a constant presence dominating the top-5, dominating the national conversation. But unknowingly the ACC bought high and paid the price.

Incredibly enough, Va Tech would prove to be the strongest of the two Big East teams in those first years. They peaked inside the top-5 in 4 of their first 8 seasons, winning at least 10 games in all of them, before succumbing to the age of Frank Beamer. Florida State would struggle early on in the new ACC but would recover, find a dominant stretch post Bowden, and win a national championship. Meanwhile, Miami imploded, never giving anything of substance to the conference it had just joined.

You could argue that the ACC leadership is inept (it is) but even inept actors can be successful with undeniable leverage. There was no undeniable leverage though, and without it the ineptitude ran its course. You could argue it wasn’t just Miami, that many schools failed to be excellent. That is certainly true, however, Miami's downfall and the butterfly effect it created around the conference cannot be understated. We've learned from the SEC that iron sharpens iron. The ACC was very short on iron and Miami was a main part of the problem. Clemson eventually ran free and instead of sharpening schools like Miami it broke them, multiple times.

In a different universe Miami never lets off the gas after 2002. The school administration recognizes then what it finally recognizes now, that a strong football team can build an academic brand, and the school decides to invest heavily. In a different universe the domination continues and FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson spend the next two decades grabbing at crystal trophies. In that universe it's the SEC, the ACC, and everyone else. When realignment comes, it's the ACC that makes the first move to grab Notre Dame, setting the standard for what conference excellence should look like. When the SEC takes Texas and Oklahoma, it's the ACC that poaches Southern California and UCLA from the PAC12. Fans inside the BIG10 argue over what their teams should do, panicking that they’ll be left out of the new order. In that universe the ACC is the standard of college football and academic excellence.

We don’t live in that universe. In this universe Miami will likely get to move on. Its brand is strong enough, its history has value, but most importantly it’s in an attractive market. The newly found resources, support from the administration, coaching changes, and infusion of outside money is what Miami fans had wanted for almost two decades. Under this new leadership, it is more than likely Miami will find its place again as a perennial top 10 team, landing in one of the remaining few super conferences. But any Miami fan would be lying to themselves if, when the ACC finally collapses, you look at the rubble and don’t realize one of the first beams that failed was driven into the Miami limestone.
This read like a sad but beautiful history paper. You should post more.

Advertisement
That is not smoke. As people posted thats the same guy who claimed our coaching and AD search was a mess and chaotic. Meaningless conjecture. Finebaum is Saban butt plug but he knows more than that dweeb and he says Miami to the SEC is a thing

I can see conferences wanting UNC. They're a decent football team now, not like they were before. And they are a massive get for basketball. Im addition to their academics, that's why i see the Big10 wanting UNC. It's why I see Miami, ND, and UNC making sense for the Big10, plus a couple other teams

Advertisement
I think people are underestimating how much that new money is gonna play a factor for the B1G. They are going to want the Florida market and we are their opening. I don’t see a way we don’t end up there
I have no idea where we actually end up aside from an almost absolute belief that we're going somewhere.

There are obviously other issues that could be factors but I think people are also potentially unaware of which conference would probably offer us more money too if this is a situation of competing offers.

People were already speculating that the B1G's new TV deal under negotiation now could be around $1 BILLION per year. Add Notre Dame and the state of Florida to that mix and you're getting even more insane.

I don't want to derail this thread but just a potential sidebar vent of......f*ck all those shortsighted simple people that used to hem and haw and throw around fake/erroneously interpreted stats about major college football not being profitable and essentially not worth a big time investment.

Where are they at now as the amount of money going back to schools that have made that investment is pure insanity? That it realistically could be like $100 mil PER YEAR PER SCHOOL very soon.

You know where they are? They're not apologizing for claiming that only a few football programs were actually profitable. They're not apologizing for not understanding how to grasp the real economic and academic benefits of a big time program (especially to a school like Miami in that 40-55 academic ranking territory). Nope. They're bemoaning the ending of "amateurism" and college football how they liked it- even though back then THEY were part of the problem in us not succeeding in the era they claim to now miss.

End. Rant. Can't wait to get our first massive conference payout.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back