Upon Further Review: Jarrid Williams

Advertisement
No. I put Scaife at RT and Campbell on the bench.
I said this in another thread, but I have a 'feeling' they really want Scaife inside. Especially if Lashlee uses some of the guard pulls and movements he did at SMU. *If* that's the case, then it's my guess (really, a guess) they'd use Williams at RT. I'm with you in thinking Scaife is, unfortunately for us, still one of the two best Tackles on the team and more important out there than inside. But, we'll see. Would have been helpful to get a better look during Spring. We'd have also gotten a better look at someone like Campbell trying out Tackle in Lashlee's system, which is, in some ways, a different position than in Enos' system.

I'm a long-time Canes fan, and have lived outside the area for many years, now in Nevada. I keep wondering, year after year, seemingly for well over a decade, why is it so difficult for Miami to recruit top ranked offensive linemen? When was the last time we had an offensive line that had quality depth? Is it the heat and humidity that keeps them away? When was the last year the offensive line could be ranked in the top 25 of the country? Has the shortfall only been in the recruiting or also in inadequate coaching?
For the most part, Florida and south Florida specifically hasn't exactly been a hot spot for offensive linemen. One of the biggest issues was weight limits in youth football that didn't allow the bigger kids to strap on pads and a helmet until high school. I remember growing up having friends who weren't even that big struggling to make weight just so they could play local optimist football. They've changed the rule recently so you're starting to see more local talent on the line. Kids now are growing up playing on the line from the time they're 8 years old instead of not being able to play until they're 14 or 15.

The truth is, outside of the early 2000's Miami has never had dominant offensive lines. Even then, that grouping was kind of a fluke. Two guys were from Canada, one guy was a walk-on and another was a JC transfer. It was an oddly pieced together unit that played great for a couple of seasons.

Sure we have. Last spring/offseason it was how Barry's positive approach and rebuilding the confidence of our o-linemen was just what they needed after Searles and they were looking so much better. Normal offseason talk.

And I think the 1st two practices were no pads. Even the next 2 might have just been shells. Can't truly evaluate line play w/out pads.
But we didn’t hear that the o-line was looking good

The truth is, outside of the early 2000's Miami has never had dominant offensive lines. Even then, that grouping was kind of a fluke. Two guys were from Canada, one guy was a walk-on and another was a JC transfer. It was an oddly pieced together unit that played great for a couple of seasons.
And was married to a QB who got the ball out quicker than usual.

Advertisement
I really hope Walker gets the waiver so he can play 4 games and redshirt. If he doesn't get the waiver, he cant play at all in 2020. Having him play 4 games would be huge especially that we play Bama in 2021 opener.

Explain this to me like I'm 5 years old:
Campbell finished 2019 as our starting LG, and Scaife has started 20 games at RT.
Campbell lasted one game at RT in 2019 and was called for 15 penalties in one game.
Why...why are we suddenly believers in Campbell again as a tackle? 4 practices in the spring?
Campbell looked too slow for tackle. He not treash tho. He has Power.

I said this in another thread, but I have a 'feeling' they really want Scaife inside. Especially if Lashlee uses some of the guard pulls and movements he did at SMU. *If* that's the case, then it's my guess (really, a guess) they'd use Williams at RT. I'm with you in thinking Scaife is, unfortunately for us, still one of the two best Tackles on the team and more important out there than inside. But, we'll see. Would have been helpful to get a better look during Spring. We'd have also gotten a better look at someone like Campbell trying out Tackle in Lashlee's system, which is, in some ways, a different position than in Enos' system.
You're on the right track here. In Lashlee's system with hyper mobile King at QB the guard position is very important.

There were 9 offensive tackles worse than Zion Nelson? Who are those guys jeez. I don’t fault Zion too much - came in worked his *** off to get bigger and the team didn’t put him in a position to succeed whatsoever. That being said, I cant fathom an offensive lineman having a worse season than him.
The 9 guys on FSU's roster

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Just from the eye test, Campbell belongs at RT and Scaife belongs at G. That's where coaching comes into play, can you get a guy built to play RT to play like it? He had offers from Alabama and Auburn, he wasn't some 2-star guy we force fed 50 pounds on to play last year.

ex
Campbell finished 2019 as our starting LG, and Scaife has started 20 games at RT.
Campbell lasted one game at RT in 2019 and was called for 15 penalties in one game.
Why...why are we suddenly believers in Campbell again as a tackle? 4 practices in the spring?

5 year old explanation

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't, move a rubber tree plant
But he's got High Hopes; He's got High Hopes
He's got high apple pie In the sky hopes

Semi-adult explanation

Seems like our expectations are always the highest at this time of the year., whether realistic or not.

Advertisement
I don't see him starting but expect him in the 2-deep at some point this season.
I wouldn't RS Walker, Rivers or Nelson. Williams should start and the others need to get meaningful time throughout the year. We can't have them learning against Bama in 21.

the only way this young man transferred to UM is if his qb at Houston wanted him at UM. what could be a better confirmation of his ability?
King wanted him and certainly told our coaches. good enough for me

I Wouldn’t be shocked to see Rivers in two deep during the season and wouldn’t rule out starting at some point.

Scaife is the best tackle option ( next to Williams ) but they’ll put him at guard just like last year , I’m literally repeating what I posted at the same point In 19. Then he ended up at tackle after the titanic hit the iceberg.

Advertisement

lol man this is what I’m saying we keep trynna kick Scaife inside which I understand. But we know he’s solid out there the lineup should look like thi:
RT-Scafie
RG- Donaldson ( I doubt , I agree with the redshirting him this year so he can get right)
C- Gaynor
LG- Campbell
LT- Williams

Honestly that should be the best unit.

I Wouldn’t be shocked to see Rivers in two deep during the season and wouldn’t rule out starting at some point.

Scaife is the best tackle option ( next to Williams ) but they’ll put him at guard just like last year , I’m literally repeating what I posted at the same point In 19. Then he ended up at tackle after the titanic hit the iceberg.

ya this year ain’t the time to be doing that. But the best 5 on the field and let’s roll. Scaife at Tackle in the Florida game in my opinion changes the outcome of the game

Advertisement
Back