Upcoming playoff expansion vote (12 Team Playoff Chosen, 9.2)

You literally read nothing of what I said.

"Only in the world of FBS CFB does this argument exist"

Yes. I know. That's literally what I said. It's the most unique regular season in sports. It means more than any regular season in any sport, anywhere. It's one of the very few things that make CFB unique. So why water it down? We have essentially meaningless regular seasons in professional football, where an average team can get in and get hot and win a championship. We have it in college basketball, although of course the tournament is great, but that's their thing. Why go that route in college?

"If a 9-3 team gets in and goes on a run to win the title then they deserved/earned it"

Again, exactly what I said. I don't want a 9-3 team to get into anything. Why? Because the 1st, and 2nd, and 3rd losses should be so colossal, they should eliminate them from championship contention. Just the example I gave. For example, let's talk 2022. What if we go into Clemson 9-1, and they are 10-0. In a 4, or 6 team playoff, that game almost certainly have championship implications. The loser is probably eliminated from the playoff, or really close to it. The intensity would be incredible. If you have a 12 team playoff, yes the game would be great and very intense, but if you lose, eh, not the end of the world, we got a shot to get into the playoff. It's not the same. It takes away from the magnitude of that game. AKA diminishes and waters down the regular season.

So I do think an expansion is good. I love football, I love football games between good teams, I love important games late in the year. Another playoff game, or two, would be great. But 12 is too many. I think 6, or MAYBE 8 is the best route.

Lastly, your "9-3 team gets in and goes on a run" is very, very unlikely to happen. Look at the current system. The #3 and #4 teams get blown out annually. Cincinnati was the 4th best team last year. They lost by 100 to the team who didn't even win the championship. You think the #12 seed is going to go on some magical run and win 3 games in the playoffs against Bama, UGA, and Ohio State? Stop it. We're still going to get the same programs wearing the crown at the end of the season, but we're going to water down the regular season just for a couple more blowouts in playoff games.
This!!! Piling in a bunch of mediocre 9-3 / 9-4 teams doesn’t improve the product or experience.

Advertisement
8 teams

5 automatic births for the 5 conference champions

2 at large teams for the P5, but no more than 2 total teams from any conference

1 Cinderella team from outside p5

This method means winning your conference matters AND ALL ~125 teams in Division 1 begin the year with a theoretical chance to play for it all

The BIG 4 bowls get 1st round games (8v1, 7v2, 6v3, 5v4)

Then like current BCS for final 4

Although I don’t agree w/ 12, here’s my solution:

-11 regular season games (1 FCS or G5 opponent, 1 OOC opponent, 9 games in conference to determine to champion w/o a conference championship game)

-Bye weeks given to top 4 seeds voted by CFP committee

5 v. 12 (round 1)
6 v. 11 (round 1)
7 v. 10 (round 1)
8 v. 9 (round 1)

1 faces winner of 5/12 (round 2)
2 faces winner of 6/11 (round 2)
3 faces winner of 7/10 (round 2)
4 faces winner of 8/9 (round 2)

Winner of 1/5/12 faces winner of 4/8/9 (round 3)
Winner of 2/6/11 faces winner of 3/7/10 (round 3)

Winner of aforementioned games square off in title game (round 4)

At the most, a team would play 15 games, & if they r a top 4, 14 games.

Incorporate a rotation of 3 of the NY6 bowls for the semi finals & championship games, while rotating tier 1 bowls for rounds 1 - 2.
The 3 NY6 bowls not used in rotation will be at large bids to those who just missed the top 12.

Imo, while some refined details can be incorporated, this solves:

-The amount of games played issue (once upon a time, teams played 11 games in season & the bowl game was the 12)

-Bowl game prestige restoration; since Tier 1 & NY6 bowls will be in rotation, when a team doesn’t make the CFP but gets an opportunity to play in a bowl assigned to the CFP, it won’t be looked at “as” meaningless.

Once upon a time, conference champions were crowned w/o a championship game, so that wouldn’t or shouldn’t be an issue.
I'm almost there, crunching the numbers.......
Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

Seriously, good effort my friend(y)

Increasing CFP to more than like 4-6 teams is just degrading college football. It makes regular season games worthless, especially rivalry games.

Keep it at 4 teams.

Absolutely true. There never has been. However, we have seen several teams get hot at the end of the year and could have potentially won it all if they had the chance. We just never saw them get the chance, so we don't know how it could have gone. Expand it a bit and let's find out.

That playoff stuff though. Where getting hot at the end is more important than the entire season, and why the beginning of seasons are marginalized with expanded playoffs.

Advertisement
Anybody against expanding the playoff while watching the same 4 **** teams play the last decade while complaining about teams like Cincinnati getting shut out...C'mon.

This is great and every one of you will eat your words. I don't think you realize what giving a shot to other teams will do for the sport.

This!!! Piling in a bunch of mediocre 9-3 / 9-4 teams doesn’t improve the product or experience.
This could also pile in a bunch of 12-1 teams from lesser conferences that would never get the chance otherwise. Also we never get super conferences without a 12+ team playoff because schools won't want to increase the competition in their conference bc that would kick them out. This increases the timeline for Miami to get the **** out of the ACC thus it is great.

Advertisement
When Bama smoking a 9-3 team 50-0 they gonna be like wtf we do that for. Now u coupling playoff expansion with regular expansion destroying a bunch of local and traditional rivalry games and I'm not sure how this goes.

I think it should have been 6 or 8. I'm not sure how to judge the impact. On one hand you say well its not gonna mean that much in the regular season, but also teams who thought they were out and had no chance will have renewed vigor to play games. I'm more concerned about expansion getting rid of games with tense atmosphere and local implications

This could also pile in a bunch of 12-1 teams from lesser conferences that would never get the chance otherwise. Also we never get super conferences without a 12+ team playoff because schools won't want to increase the competition in their conference bc that would kick them out. This increases the timeline for Miami to get the **** out of the ACC thus it is great.
You don’t need 12 teams to do that. Adding 8 teams on for a random small school that’ll likely gets smoked doesn‘t make sense. It’s just another way to get a few more sec schools in.

When Bama smoking a 9-3 team 50-0 they gonna be like wtf we do that for. Now u coupling playoff expansion with regular expansion destroying a bunch of local and traditional rivalry games and I'm not sure how this goes.

I think it should have been 6 or 8. I'm not sure how to judge the impact. On one hand you say well its not gonna mean that much in the regular season, but also teams who thought they were out and had no chance will have renewed vigor to play games. I'm more concerned about expansion getting rid of games with tense atmosphere and local implications
Exactly. Waters down the playoff and the regular season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The worst thing I think this does is diminish the value of winning a major conference. With six conference champions in plus six at large bids, it's pretty much a given that both teams playing in the SEC & B1G championship games get in. I can see both ACC teams getting in if they have good years. Yeah, the bye week's nice, but the higher ranked teams aren't gonna pull out all the stops to win their conference championship game knowing they get into the playoff regardless. So one could say this robs us of some pretty good football for what will probably still be the same few teams playing for it all at the end of every season.

But if you think about it, that first round of games is gonna be pretty wild, & that's gonna give some teams momentum heading into the second round. For the top four teams, it adds only one extra game compared to what they have to play right now. This is not as bad as it seems.

12 is stupid. There are not 12 legit title contending teams. It should have been a maximum of 6 or 8 - the 5 conference champions and next highest ranked team. That would've made conference games and championships still matter, plus give a chance for the next 1 to 3 best teams who didn't win a conference. That would assist the best team who maybe lost a conference title game, and a couple extra open for independents and/or power 5.

12 is too much imo. Think of the teams who end up ranked in the top 3 or 4, compared to teams ranked 10 to 12. There's generally a sizable gap there. ****, there's usually a gap between the top or 3 teams and the 5th ranked team.

Advertisement
It is going to be gnarly watching all these coaches decide to just cruise to a 9-3 record because it doesn't matter and they don't care about the bye week so their team can get healthy.

Advertisement
Back