Upcoming playoff expansion vote (12 Team Playoff Chosen, 9.2)

Advertisement
Some weird arguments in here. It’s about money? Well no ****, so is conference expansion and that’s the only reason this change is happening, it’s the same format that got rejected a year ago. Who cares? This is great for programs like Miami with a coach like Mario, he recruits well enough we should always be a top 15 team, which means we should always be a playoff team, which means we can sell the program to recruits, which means we recruit better, which means we win more.

You think we’d have an easier time selling to recruits that we played in the playoff just 5 years ago or the current 20 years of irrelevance? It also adds more randomness to the post season which is good for the game, there are plenty of examples of the “best” team not winning the super bowl because crazy **** happens the more one off games you play. I just don’t see how this is a bad thing unless you don’t like change, I’m good with dudes getting paid and I’m good with more playoff teams, move on stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.
Change is good, when it is thought out. Going from the pure bowl system to the BCS was the first step. It was an improvement. Then to the 4 team playoff. Another solid move. Going to 12 teams though? You just greatly diminished the importance of the regular season. Everybody loves March Madness. November - February not so much.

Change is good, when it is thought out. Going from the pure bowl system to the BCS was the first step. It was an improvement. Then to the 4 team playoff. Another solid move. Going to 12 teams though? You just greatly diminished the importance of the regular season. Everybody loves March Madness. November - February not so much.
As a cane fan I have a hard time giving much credence to the regular season meaning something when we didn’t play for the title in 2000. I feel you but I strongly disagree, more games will matter for longer.

Advertisement
As a cane fan I have a hard time giving much credence to the regular season meaning something when we didn’t play for the title in 2000. I feel you but I strongly disagree, more games will matter for longer.
Agreed, and they fixed that by making it a 4 team playoff. And don't get me wrong, I think the playoffs needed to expand, but 8 would have been a better number in my opinion. You will more than likely have teams with 1 loss or less. By going to 12, you are basically guaranteeing 2 loss teams will make it in, maybe even a 3 loss SEC team that the "committee" deems worthy.

Agreed, and they fixed that by making it a 4 team playoff. And don't get me wrong, I think the playoffs needed to expand, but 8 would have been a better number in my opinion. You will more than likely have teams with 1 loss or less. By going to 12, you are basically guaranteeing 2 loss teams will make it in, maybe even a 3 loss SEC team that the "committee" deems worthy.
Yeah they will and I get what you’re saying, I would have been fine with 8. I do think this is a fine number though, a bye is a huge deal and will keep the bamas of the world from sitting everyone in the conference title game because they’re getting in either way.

I always challenge anyone who is in favor of expansion to go back over the years and tell me which teams ranked 5-12 needed to be in the playoffs.
It’s to ensure that the other Confs stay relevant
Without that everyone but the sec and big 10 is gonna be g5

teams 8-12 will be blown out by halftime lol “ but it’s more football bro” We can’t even get good games in the four team playoff, and those teams are supposedly somewhat equal.
Honestly I disagree, yet I understand the argument you and OrangeBowl are making. Maybe it’s short-sighted but for example, Michigan and Cinci wouldn’t have blown out any of the teams ranked 5-12 on that schedule. Same goes for the garbage ND teams that made the playoffs a few times, or UW when they played Bama. They would have been pretty solid, competitive games - and that’s better than some bowl games with 12 kids sitting out.

I think what you guys are trying to say is that the big teams will still get to the championship game, and that’s a fair point to make. They did it this year. The Alabama’s and UGA’s and Ohio State’s were going to get there 90% of the time anyways, so might as well have 1-2 more games to separate the 1B from 2B teams.

Plus, more money for the schools that make it; can’t hurt.

Lastly, there will be slightly more parody amongst the blue bloods in college football once NIL and conference re-alignment settles. Think about this crop formulating a 12-team playoff: Alabama, UGA, Ohio State, USC, Texas, Texas A&M, Note Dame, Michigan, Miami, Clemson, OU, LSU, Oregon, Penn State, Utah….I mean it’s a no brainer imo.

I would have preferred 8, but 12 isn’t as bad as a lot of people are crying about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To all you who are complaining about the "sanctity of cfb being ruined" you know you don't have to watch it right? Oh, what's that? You're still gonna watch despite your incessant complaining? Thought so. Now shut up and enjoy it!!

I mean with 4 teams rn only 6 teams have a shot at making it making CFB boring. Their ratings are pretty low in the current 4 team playoff go to 12 might have been too much but now wayyyy more teams can get in

When Bama smoking a 9-3 team 50-0 they gonna be like wtf we do that for. Now u coupling playoff expansion with regular expansion destroying a bunch of local and traditional rivalry games and I'm not sure how this goes.

I think it should have been 6 or 8. I'm not sure how to judge the impact. On one hand you say well its not gonna mean that much in the regular season, but also teams who thought they were out and had no chance will have renewed vigor to play games. I'm more concerned about expansion getting rid of games with tense atmosphere and local implications
I see where u coming from, and I somewhat agree. When Bama kicked ND *** a few years back in the CFP, it didn’t give them pause, or mess up anything? I know, I know it was in the national semifinals…. but it was still an *** kickin. Blowouts are gonna happen in football, no matter how or when it’s scheduled. It is what it is. Besides the TV execs (the bigwigs that really run ****) have already got dem checks. More games… more money. At the end of the day, that’s what driving this decision. And as far as traditional matchups go, conference realignment will ***** up some traditional matchups, and that’s a shame… but these schools are too busy trying to get as much money in their coffers as possible, tradition and history, be damned.
Having 12 teams in the playoffs will add some meaning to the back end of the schedule. in my opinion. And it doesn’t totally fucc your season if you happen to **** the bed in game 2.

Advertisement
Just gonna make me cringe when a 3 loss Bama or O$U sneak into the playoffs and find a way to win.

I think 12 teams has more intended benefits than people realize. Preseason hype now basically includes the top 25 and the receiving votes category as possible playoff contenders that’s a good thing!

It also diversifies recruiting amongst the power conferences because more teams will have a chance to get to the party it doesn’t matter if the teams that always win keep winning. The hoops final four last year was full of blue-bloods but the tournament itself had plenty of darlings us included!

Like I stated previously it helps athletic directors make clear cut choices when changing coaches because now they know a playoff spot may be on the line. It greatly benefits a school like Miami or usc that decided to reinvest in what they’re known for.

Honestly I disagree, yet I understand the argument you and OrangeBowl are making. Maybe it’s short-sighted but for example, Michigan and Cinci wouldn’t have blown out any of the teams ranked 5-12 on that schedule. Same goes for the garbage ND teams that made the playoffs a few times, or UW when they played Bama. They would have been pretty solid, competitive games - and that’s better than some bowl games with 12 kids sitting out.

I think what you guys are trying to say is that the big teams will still get to the championship game, and that’s a fair point to make. They did it this year. The Alabama’s and UGA’s and Ohio State’s were going to get there 90% of the time anyways, so might as well have 1-2 more games to separate the 1B from 2B teams.

Plus, more money for the schools that make it; can’t hurt.

Lastly, there will be slightly more parody amongst the blue bloods in college football once NIL and conference re-alignment settles. Think about this crop formulating a 12-team playoff: Alabama, UGA, Ohio State, USC, Texas, Texas A&M, Note Dame, Michigan, Miami, Clemson, OU, LSU, Oregon, Penn State, Utah….I mean it’s a no brainer imo.

I would have preferred 8, but 12 isn’t as bad as a lot of people are crying about.
The point is they’re destroying the one thing that’s made Cfb differentiate itself from all the other sports. The importance of every game , the urgency you felt even as a fan. One loss , maybe two and you’re done. Every regular season game was crucial. That’s all been thrown out the window for corporate greed. We now have two NFL’s , one is just the JV. Watering down the product isn’t a good thing.

Advertisement
I mean with 4 teams rn only 6 teams have a shot at making it making CFB boring. Their ratings are pretty low in the current 4 team playoff go to 12 might have been too much but now wayyyy more teams can get in
Have a shot? Have you paid attention to the national champions the last decade +? Only a few teams “ have a shot” every year. Thats why six to eight teams was more than enough. The semifinal games suck most years because of how top heavy this sport is. Once again this is all about money and not improving the product.

Last edited:
Have a shot? Have you paid attention to the national champions the last decade +? Only a few teams “ have a shot” every year. Thats why six to eight teams was more than enough. The semifinal games suck most years because of how too heavy this sport is. Once again this is all about money and not improving the product.
So 12 teams it is. 6 from SEC and 6 from Big Ten?

There will be 2 superconferences and everybody else. Which is exactly what the TV networks want. NFL light.

So 12 teams it is. 6 from SEC and 6 from Big Ten?

There will be 2 superconferences and everybody else. Which is exactly what the TV networks want. NFL light.
In the future it will probably be like this but more like 8 and 8 for a 16 team playoff.

The concern about playing too many games with an expanded CFP is legit and I think needs to get addressed in a serious way before this happens, which likely puts it into 2026 is my guess. Getting rid of the conference championships sounds good to me, but should be coupled with some rule changes to make the games a bit faster, and actual player financial comp. /hottake
The concern about playing too many games with an expanded CFP is legit...

Adding one additional game would be 16 total, if the conference championships remain. 15 if not.
That is for the 2 teams that make it to the Championship.

For the last 11 years, excluding 2020 Covid, the High School National Champion(s) played 15 or 16 games.

...some rule changes to make the games a bit faster...

Man, I hate this, if I understand correctly.
I few years back they changed the rule to restart the clock on ball placement for OB running plays.
Faster game at a cost of less plays.
Not good.

If, however, you're thinking of reducing TV timeouts, review time, and other non-football related activity, then I'm good with it.

Advertisement
Back