UNC @ Va Tech

hurricaneman

Recruit
Spread currently sits at -5.5 UNC. Friday night game in Blacksburg.

I think it's been a bit under the radar for how impactful a UNC loss here could be for Miami. If the goal this year is ACCCG or bust then the game Friday night is an important piece of that puzzle. I would argue that game could end up being more important to our season than our own game.

Advertisement
Fully agreed. Everyone is wringing their hands over Bama but this UNC/VT game is 10000x more relevant. We could lose to Bama by 50 and still have a huge season by going 10-2 and winning a bigtime bowl game to end at 11-3. We'd finish top 10-12 with that record.

Nope. Our game this Saturday has the potential to be a turning point for the program. If anyone is suggesting that it's just another game, then they're either:

a. Sacred that we'll be unable to compete and are trying to protect their fragile ego.
Or
b. Not living in reality.

The reality is that the bama game is the most important game this season...until and if we make it to the ACCCG. Period.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nope. Our game this Saturday has the potential to be a turning point for the program. If anyone is suggesting that it's just another game, then they're either:

a. Sacred that we'll be unable to compete and are trying to protect their fragile ego.
Or
b. Not living in reality.

The reality is that the bama game is the most important game this season...until and if we make it to the ACCCG. Period.
What does being realistic about the high probability that we won't be competitive have to do with our egos? lol. Do you play for the team or something? How could the team's performance possibly impact your ego?

I don't think anyone thinks Saturday is "just another game", and everyone agrees that it has the "potential to be a turning point for the program."

However, most of realize (1) it probably won't be a turning point, and (2) it's not a conference game so it's less important than the UNC game. I'd much rather lose to Bama, beat UNC, and knock off Clemson (or at least play a competitive game) than beat Bama but not get to Charlotte.

What does being realistic about the high probability that we won't be competitive have to do with our egos? lol. Do you play for the team or something? How could the team's performance possibly impact your ego?

I don't think anyone thinks Saturday is "just another game", and everyone agrees that it has the "potential to be a turning point for the program."

However, most of realize (1) it probably won't be a turning point, and (2) it's not a conference game so it's less important than the UNC game. I'd much rather lose to Bama, beat UNC, and knock off Clemson (or at least play a competitive game) than beat Bama but not get to Charlotte.

There are people who's entire lives revolve around CANES football. Humans have a psychological imperative to protect their egos from harm. For some people, minimizing the importance or effect of an event is a sheild that serves that purpose. Not saying that's you. Even if it is, fine I won't judge. You can hide behind your sheild...but if you really believe that beating a team that hasn't won a conference championship since 1980 is more important than beating Ala****ingbama, then you and I don't live in the same reality. Beating bama and getting to charlotte or not beating bama and getting to charlotte are both possible scenarios. I'd rather beat bama' and lose to unc because beating bama is nationally relevant and beating unc is no big deal. Nobody gives a fúck when bama loses to Ole Miss because Ole Miss ain't shìt. Unc ain't shìt. The only reason we hate losing to unc is because they ain't shít...so beating unc means less than shìt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There are people who's entire lives revolve around CANES football. Humans have a psychological imperative to protect their egos from harm. For some people, minimizing the importance or effect of an event is a sheild that serves that purpose. Not saying that's you. Even if it is, fine I won't judge. You can hide behind your sheild...but if you really believe that beating a team that hasn't won a conference championship since 1980 is more important than beating Ala****ingbama, then you and I don't live in the same reality. Beating bama and getting to charlotte or not beating bama and getting to charlotte are both possible scenarios. I'd rather beat bama' and lose to unc because beating bama is nationally relevant and beating unc is no big deal. Nobody gives a fúck when bama loses to Ole Miss because Ole Miss ain't shìt. Unc ain't shìt. The only reason we hate losing to unc is because they ain't shít...so beating unc means less than shìt.
How can beating UNC mean less than s*** when beating UNC also means we win a championship (Coastal) and play for another (ACC)? We've never won an ACC title, which is a major black mark against this program. If you follow Canes football at all, you have to understand that beating UNC this year is a huge deal.

If we lose to Bama, the entire country will shrug. It's Bama. If we lose to UNC, the entire country will say that we're not even the best team in our own division.

I agree that beating Bama would be a much bigger statement, but winning the ACC is more important, and we can't win the ACC without beating UNC.

(Also, everyone cares when Bama loses to Ole Miss. They talk about it for years.)

"How can beating UNC mean less than s*** when beating UNC also means we win a championship (Coastal)...winning the ACC is more important, and we can't win the ACC without beating UNC."
I've got news for you. Unc was 7-3 in ACC play last season. They finished behind us in the ACC standings. The only reason we didn't play in the ACCCG last season was because of ND. Again, unc is nobody. Lmao@you buying the unc hype. They weren't shít last year and they won't be shît this season. That 62 points they scored on us just meant they got to lose to Tamu 41-27. They also lost to Florida college for women and virginia lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I really don’t know about this one while I think VT isn’t particularly good and UNC should win I think people underestimate the crowd factor in this one. This crowd will be nuts Friday night game and first full crowd in a year could def play a factor.

I never really have much good to say about the gobblers but they do have a good home field advantage.

Advertisement
Spread currently sits at -5.5 UNC. Friday night game in Blacksburg.

I think it's been a bit under the radar for how impactful a UNC loss here could be for Miami. If the goal this year is ACCCG or bust then the game Friday night is an important piece of that puzzle. I would argue that game could end up being more important to our season than our own game.
UNC losing to Vajayjay Tech would be huge.

With that said, Miami has to do its part and actually, you know, win.

Advertisement
Back