UM's Perry "Looks Like a Natural"

Status
Not open for further replies.

umhurricane2511

Always Faithful
New UM QB Perry "looks like a natural," teammate says | Miami Herald

A quick six-pack of Canes notes:

• It’s too early to tell how much of a factor N’Kosi Perry will be in the UM quarterback competition this summer.

After all, the ballyhooed Perry just arrived a couple of weeks ago from Ocala Vanguard.

But early impressions – very early – have been positive, according to teammates.

“He’s very athletic,” quarterback Evan Shirreffs said Thursday during a UM community service event at Tucker Elementary in Coconut Grove. “He looks like a natural out there. He’s got a great arm. He’s a really nice kid, too. I have an acting class with him. It’s pretty funny. He looks really good. He’s got some nice touch. I like watching him throw. He’s getting the playbook.”

Does Shirreffs see him being a viable contender to start?

“Yeah, I certainly think all the quarterbacks on the roster could end up being the starter,” he said. “It’s who’s willing to put in the work and work on their consistency.”

Running back Travis Homer said “I saw some nice passes” from Perry.

For the record, UM expects Perry to seriously compete for the job. But nobody will know his chances until organized practices.

This is what quarterbacks coach Jon Richt has said about Perry: “The dude can make a lot of plays when plays break down. He's an X factor when he's out there. Shows remarkable touch, unbelievable arm strength. He has this thing coach [Bobby] Bowden used to say: He gets guys the ball. He's not always going to make the most perfect pass. He can make coaches look smarter than they are.

“If you go back to Florida State, [Mark Richt] had Charlie Ward. This kid reminds us of Charlie. He can make plays with his feet. That's how we'll use him. He's a guy that can really throw the ball. I don't want to understate how well a passer he is.”

Players organized their first player-run voluntary practice on Wednesday, and Shirreffs said it went well.

• Shirreffs said it’s his understanding that he and Malik Rosier are even, and ahead, in the battle for the starting job.

“I think it’s still how it was during the spring, with me and Malik, and then everyone else still competing,” Shirreffs said.

• Shirreffs has been impressed with freshmen receivers Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley.

“Both are them are just real smooth,” he said.

And of DeeJay Dallas, who arrived in the spring, Shirreffs said: “I certainly think he can be a big part of the offense this year. It really benefitted him coming in early, because he played quarterback in high school. Getting used to the playbook he’s a few months ahead of the other guys.”

• Travis Homer said winning the No. 2 running back job is meaningful to him - he’s the front-runner for the job - and didn’t take issue with Richt’s tweet encouraging grad transfers to come here.

“Just another way to get more players on the team,” Homer said of Richt’s tweet. “Why not? Some coaches are going to be like, Why did he do that? Like it’s a joke. But if you want players, you get all the resources he can.”

By the way, both Robert Burns and Trayone Gray are expected back by August camp. “Robert Burns is getting better; I haven’t seen him run around yet,” Homer said.

UM remains optimistic Burns will be able to help this season.

• Homer met with offensive coordinator Thomas Brown after the season and “we went over what he thought my positives and negatives were.”

One area he must work on: “Reading the defense faster is big for me. I want to be able to read it real fast and get out if I want to get out.”

Though he’s known for his speed, Homer’s toughness shouldn’t be underestimated. He runs hard and broke tackles at times in closed practices.

“They can question what they want,” he said. “I can be physical when I need to.”

• NFL rookie and former Cane Justin Vogel appears on track to winning the Packers punting job. Green Bay today cut veteran Jacob Schum. Zach Feagles is expected to replace Vogel as UM’s punter.

Read more here: New UM QB Perry "looks like a natural," teammate says | Miami Herald

Advertisement
High praise from Jon Richt...wow

Advertisement
am sorry. did you expect an article that, OMG we should have never offered him.. he is going to be a disaster .. fluff article by someone who creds will be challenged until he gets a job on his own merits.

Hats off to Vogel

Kid went in, laid his sack on the table, and claimed the starting job on playoff team

Punter U lives on

Advertisement
Perry is the only QB on the roster with the talent to be a P5 caliber starter. If he can't win the job, we have problems.

f I were making odds for who would start the opener against Bethune Cookman, I would place Shirreffs third behind Rosier and Perry. But that’s assuming the highly-skilled Perry picks up the offense quickly and impresses in August, which is a big if.

Would I be surprised if Shirreffs is the starter? Yes. Would I be shocked? No, because there is a scenario this could happen.

Shirreffs, who had no other scholarship offers from any other Power 5 conference schools besides Miami, should be commended for his progress. But he needs to show a lot more consistency in August to beat out Rosier and Perry.

Not sure if he actually posts anything on here, but Barry Jackson definitely reads this board. lol

Advertisement
The Richt/Ward vs. Richt/Perry talk or comparisons should cease. Richt didn't call plays for Ward.

Rosier is going to begin the season as the starter. I have no idea if he'll end the season as such, but I'd be shocked if it played out any other way.

Perry is the only QB on the roster with the talent to be a P5 caliber starter. If he can't win the job, we have problems.

I disagree. I would like to see Shireff win the starting job for 2 reasons: 1. Shireff reminds me of a more athletic Ken Dorsey, and 2. QBs like Shireff and Dorsey are easier to replace than these Dynamic dual-threat guys. For instance, Clemson fans are out of their minds if they think they're not going to miss a beat without Watson. The kid was too dynamic.

Advertisement
The Richt/Ward vs. Richt/Perry talk or comparisons should cease. Richt didn't call plays for Ward.
I imagine as the QB coach he had a lot to do with Ward. I know he wasn't the OC , but let's not act like Richt wasn't involved with Ward's success.

The only thing we can read into the article is that Perry is "as advertised" in terms of his athletic talent, and not overwhelmed by the shift to college like many kids are. But, IMO, that's good enough for now. Every positive report is one step closer.

Glad Shirreffs and Rosier are comfortable with the competition; they're gong to have to earn it.

Kaaya made it clear pretty early that he could win the job. I think the same thing will happen with Perry. If he is what they have hyped him to be, it should be clear pretty quickly, like it was with Kaaya.

I disagree. I would like to see Shireff win the starting job for 2 reasons: 1. Shireff reminds me of a more athletic Ken Dorsey, and 2. QBs like Shireff and Dorsey are easier to replace than these Dynamic dual-threat guys. For instance, Clemson fans are out of their minds if they think they're not going to miss a beat without Watson. The kid was too dynamic.

Perry is a pocket passer than can run if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back