UM staff pushing for 4-star local DT Lyons

View as article
The game has changed, high school recruiting isn’t the foundation for a roster the way it used to be. I have no clue how things are going to play out but for those still losing their minds about the decision of a high school kid that will take 2 years minimum to develop before providing meaningful snaps………….it might be time to evolve with the game.

This is true too. That's why i'm not going crazy about HS recruiting and why others shouldnt either. With transfers set to explode for a year or two in the post-Covid world where schools will need to trim bloated 95-100 man rosters, there is no reason to reach on HS kids for a given year if you can get at the very least a solid rotational kid from the portal.

Advertisement
For us. That would be a worst-case scenario at any of the top schools.

No I disagree...That's the grade if any school lands those 2 players. I believe they are two of the top 20-25 DT prospects in the country. Especially Lyons as a 3-tech in UM's system.

Also, at last check we aren't one of the top schools yet.

For us. That would be a worst-case scenario at any of the top schools.

No I disagree...That's the grade if any school lands those 2 players. I believe they are two of the top 20-25 DT prospects in the country. Especially Lyons as a 3-tech in UM's system.

Also, at last check we aren't one of the top schools yet.

Yeah, i think people still clinging to the dream of Miami returning to the 80s are in for a world of hurt. No coach in existence can do that here anymore.

Unless something radically changes with the current situation, unless Miami develops and is ALLOWED to develop the same kind infrastructure that the big bag schools have, we will never return to those days.

The best we can hope for is to be contend every few years, when we have the right mix of luck, depth, and a gamechanger at QB.

Advertisement
At least he committed to FSU. Means we have a good shot of poaching any of their commits given how bad their year is going to be.

The only way this isn't a fail is if we are actually in good shape to land Lucas. I have no issue with passing on Lyons if so. But unlike TRob and DVD, who had Plan A1, Plan A2, Plan A3, and Plan B -- with someone as good as Spells falling in the B group -- there is zero buzz about Miami among anyone else at DT. Zero.

So are we putting all our eggs in the Lucas basket and falling back on a roll of the dice that is the Portal? Because we're just as likely to end up with a Traore/Delaney type than a Osborn/Roche type. And expecting a Phillips/King type is just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

Way too much talk of JHH and Miller leaving early at this stage of the season. Especially JHH. He would have to have an unbelievably great season to leave.

The 4 deep in 2022 would be Miller, JHH, LT and ERoberts which is **** near elite level potentially..And don’t let Nesta get froggy and want to consider a 6th year.

Point being..the staff can be a little picky at DT this cycle. No need in taking anyone you arent 100% sold on. Maybe they like Lyons but don’t love him enough to play package deal games with him and Anderson. I agree with the posters who have said there has been no talk or buzz around him lately.

I tend to agree that F$u will lose some recruits due to their pending on-field performance this year. But, too many on this site fail to recognize that their staff is recruiting well. If (and that is a massive and unlikely "if") they punch above their weight this year, we could be in trouble with others we are recruiting. Fortunately, I believe that staff is built to recruit and not develop/coach players (much like Golden's staff). We will know soon...

Last edited:
Advertisement
There's been no talk or buzz around anyone other than Lucas. And no one has confirmed we're leading for Lucas. That's not picky. That's playing the lottery.

Lyons seemed to be super loved by the forum but was he ever a priority for the staff?

There's been no talk or buzz around anyone other than Lucas. And no one has confirmed we're leading for Lucas. That's not picky. That's playing the lottery.
I think we would have a good shot of landing Lucas if we had a good year on the field. The staff is banking on a good season it’s definitely a risky play to put all the eggs in one basket.

Lyons is a good local prospect but he’s definitely not can’t miss. In a small class, he’s not plan A...if this were a 25 slot class I would absolutely love him as a DT take. But **** I’ve heard people say we taking less than 20...he’s not a Plan A in a 18-19 slot class IMO. Not saying he’s not a take, he’s just not Plan A. (Meaning if he walks which he did..you not losing sleep)

At least he committed to FSU. Means we have a good shot of poaching any of their commits given how bad their year is going to be.

The only way this isn't a fail is if we are actually in good shape to land Lucas. I have no issue with passing on Lyons if so. But unlike TRob and DVD, who had Plan A1, Plan A2, Plan A3, and Plan B -- with someone as good as Spells falling in the B group -- there is zero buzz about Miami among anyone else at DT. Zero.

So are we putting all our eggs in the Lucas basket and falling back on a roll of the dice that is the Portal? Because we're just as likely to end up with a Traore/Delaney type than a Osborn/Roche type. And expecting a Phillips/King type is just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

Maybe they are happy with the 5 returning DTs and dont need anything more than a serviceable rotational player to provide depth. Maybe they feel that Lyons is that type of player and that they can find that in the portal with a more "proven" and "developed" kid.

It sure does seem like it's either Lucas or bust at the HS level, with any holes to be patched up through the portal. They're probably expecting an avalanche of portal entries as other schools are forced to trim rosters to 85 after the temporary COVID bloat.

Advertisement
I think we would have a good shot of landing Lucas if we had a good year on the field. The staff is banking on a good season it’s definitely a risky play to put all the eggs in one basket.
Don't think they're putting all their eggs in on basket. He's the elite recruit they're chasing. You've seen other recruits pop up over the last week with offers and that'll probably continue. People should get comfortable with the fact that having the class filled in the summer and playing defense until December isn't the way this cycle is going to go.

This just seems like Miami is gonna slow play a lot of guys and try and sign a super top heavy class of like 15 players. Probably not how I’d do it, but they gotta get back under 85 scholarship players this offseason. Dangerous game Manny is playing, hopefully it doesn’t blow up in his face.

Honestly I feel like this is the staffs plan. Not sure if I agree as well. DB recruiting looks amazing but not everybody is TRob.

I hope Manny understands the importance of completely destroying FSU this year. It makes it ALOT easier to pull their commits.

Advertisement
Lol, such a smart and logical move.

Love posts like these.
Newflash big dawg, your opinion is cool but doesn’t really matter at the end of the day because despite all of those things...we still wanted him. So he must’ve been good enough for the powers that be.

“Why else hasn’t Simpson made him a priority”
You talk to Simpson? Manny? Pop? You sit in on staff meetings? How do you know he wasn't a priority? Please share.
I love how you speak in absolutes. You don’t know… you don’t know his ranking on our board. Just another poster reading the crumbs thrown at us on a free board

I love how you speak in absolutes. You don’t know… you don’t know his ranking on our board. Just another poster reading the crumbs thrown at us on a free board

Works both ways big homie.

But hey, if thats the case, what’s the point in any of this? Lets just delete the recruiting board because using that logic no one knows anything and let most on here tell it, the only kids we want are the ones that commit to us so hey, fvck it.

Forget the recruiting articles, the mock classes, 99.9% of this board including him in our class when we lost Durant and justifying the Durant loss because “hey, we got Lyons and Tarber!!”, posters like D Money and other knowledgeable posters comparing him to Pata (RIP) early on, none of that matters. All that matters is once he commits elsewhere, cause that’s the only way for sure we know if he was wanted or not because there is absolutely NO WAY any kid would pass on the opportunity to play for the University of Miami.

Sarcasm obviously and this isn’t me attacking you obviously but the same song and dance gets exhausting every time a kid commits elsewhere. A simple, “can’t win them all” is ok and won’t kill anyone. And again, if I am wrong and we really didn’t want him then I pray to God they prove me wrong and have a plan that no one can foresee right now.

I like the stealth. Eventually we'll find out who was on campus "quietly" this week.

I am wondering if Singletary will make a quiet visit. Mansell has been dropping all kinds of "crumbs" about 2 guys visiting them this week that he won't be able to name... It's pretty clear he's hinting Singletary is one of them.
Singletary mysteriously dropped from 14 overall to 53 in the latest 247 rankings.

We’re approaching the start of fall camp and I still don’t understand our DT board. Obviously Bear and Lucas are at the top but that seems like a dream scenario. Who are our realistic options? How many are we taking?

Advertisement
Back