UM Isn't Paying a $2,250,000 Tom Herman Buyout

What does this mean?

Are you insinuating Miami is poor? I assure you, we are not. Not close.

I think he's insinuating that we have a fake athletic director who probably belongs in a roll call booth at the stadium, and a figurehead president.

There are a small handful out of the 50+ decision makers on the board who care about the football team, and they're just as likely to hire Cristobal or bob smith from Wesleyan high school.

We should feel blessed that one of them is pushing Butch so hard.

They've proven over and over that they're incapable of making a competent informed decision.

Giving them the time to let this play out because we might land Herman or Hue Jackson will probably end in a disaster.

I mean USC hired like 4 bad coaches in a row. Michigan 2. Bama 3. Nebraska is on 3 now. Tennessee is on 3 in a row. Notre **** had like 4. Texas is looking pretty foolish right now.

All, not most, but all, schools go through some tough times, making bad hires. Not to mention that the biggest obstacle, Shalala, is gone. Keep the faith. If they get it wrong, we'll all let them hear it louder than ever. But to deny a search in favor of that warm blanket from the past, seems silly to me.

I'll take the warm blanket.

If I let my 4 year old make my grocery list then I can't be mad when we're eating macaroni and cheese and candy for the next month.

What does this even mean?

I'll take the chance of getting the next elite coach, instead of being so afraid that my only answer is a coach who was here like 20 years ago.

Expecting them to all of a sudden marterialize competency out of thin air is a pipe dream.

I can not see what some of the other well respected posters see when they say we should wait. Wait for what? The more time these bozos have is just more time for them to **** **** up.

Advertisement
Yeah?

How many million are you kicking in?

Paul Demare is apparently kicking in quite a bit FOR BUTCH.

I understand little man. You need you're blanky in order to sleep at night. You have been beaten for 15 years by bad hires. That the only way you feel we can return is exhuming the corpse of Butch Davis. That last coach to have us relevant is the only way we can return.

That's what I thought. You're not kicking in a penny - so I'd imagine that those who ARE kicking in whatever millions to get rid of Golden, get a new coach, and pay enough to get really top coordinators - will have a bit more say than your sorry broke ***.

Those trustees vote with their dollars. And they got the dollars.

Hopefully, sometime next year, your pubes may come in.

Wait so do they have dollars or don't they? I thought the premise was Miami doesn't have money? Now they do?

Only Butch Davis cult members have money. Get with the program and grow some pubes.

I'm not under the impression that Butch will win a CFBP. He'll likely make the team more competitive and get Miami back on the map.

It's playing the long game. I'm hoping Frenk replaces Blake James in the next couple years, and during our next search we have a real shot at landing the hottest names on the market with the program in already good shape.

Right now there's a very real chance Rob Chudzinski or Mario Cristobal will be our next head coach. Most likely an infinitely higher chance of that then Herman, Fuente or Chip Kelly.

By the time our potential real AD starts the next search this program will be in absolute shambles.

Were potentially facing a death knell. If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat ****. I would love to be wrong.

Wether or not Larranaga actually sent someone his Wikipedia page is irrelevant; the fact that we believe that might have actually happened says all we need to know about the decision makers.

I understand little man. You need you're blanky in order to sleep at night. You have been beaten for 15 years by bad hires. That the only way you feel we can return is exhuming the corpse of Butch Davis. That last coach to have us relevant is the only way we can return.

That's what I thought. You're not kicking in a penny - so I'd imagine that those who ARE kicking in whatever millions to get rid of Golden, get a new coach, and pay enough to get really top coordinators - will have a bit more say than your sorry broke ***.

Wait so do they have dollars or don't they? I thought the premise was Miami doesn't have money? Now they do?

Only Butch Davis cult members have money. Get with the program and grow some pubes.

I'm not under the impression that Butch will win a CFBP. He'll likely make the team more competitive and get Miami back on the map.

It's playing the long game. I'm hoping Frenk replaces Blake James in the next couple years, and during our next search we have a real shot at landing the hottest names on the market with the program in already good shape.

Right now there's a very real chance Rob Chudzinski or Mario Cristobal will be our next head coach. Most likely an infinitely higher chance of that then Herman, Fuente or Chip Kelly.

By the time our potential real AD starts the next search this program will be in absolute shambles.

Were potentially facing a death knell. If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat ****. I would love to be wrong.

Wether or not Larranaga actually sent someone his Wikipedia page is irrelevant; the fact that we believe that might have actually happened says all we need to know about the decision makers.

The time to win is now. This isn't some major rebuild. We've got the players to start winning in 2016 with the right HC. I'm not looking to "rebuild" for 4 years with 8 wins a year in the hope of getting a major HC the next time around.

Before Shalala we had five successful hires in a row. Then Shalala happened and we had three bad hires. I'm not nearly as worried these days. Frenk wants a winning team.

The time to win is now. This isn't some major rebuild. We've got the players to start winning in 2016 with the right HC. I'm not looking to "rebuild" for 4 years with 8 wins a year in the hope of getting a major HC the next time around.

Agreed, shouldn't be a next time around if done right this time. Get the right guy this time and quit being cheap when it comes time that other programs or the league come calling.

Advertisement

No **** Sherlock. No one wants eight wins a year, and I don't know why you'd assume that would be acceptable.

Come to think of it, Herman may move up from beating up on:

Tennessee Tech
Louisville
Texas State
Tulsa
SMU
Tulane
UCF
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati
Memphis (coming)
Connecticut
Navy

That's quite an accomplishment. Tennessee Tech and Texas State? We can't go wrong!

Again, I pointed out that every big time program has had multiple failed coaches in a row at some point. It doesn't mean they are incapable of choosing a good one. I'm just not a big fan of "I'm scared, mommy, give me Butch so I won't be afraid." That's not the attitude of a Cane, IMO.

No **** Sherlock. No one wants eight wins a year, and I don't know why you'd assume that would be acceptable.

Come to think of it, Herman may move up from beating up on:

Tennessee Tech
Louisville
Texas State
Tulsa
SMU
Tulane
UCF
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati
Memphis (coming)
Connecticut
Navy

That's quite an accomplishment. Tennessee Tech and Texas State? We can't go wrong!

View attachment 33603

I think he's insinuating that we have a fake athletic director who probably belongs in a roll call booth at the stadium, and a figurehead president.

There are a small handful out of the 50+ decision makers on the board who care about the football team, and they're just as likely to hire Cristobal or bob smith from Wesleyan high school.

We should feel blessed that one of them is pushing Butch so hard.

They've proven over and over that they're incapable of making a competent informed decision.

Giving them the time to let this play out because we might land Herman or Hue Jackson will probably end in a disaster.

I mean USC hired like 4 bad coaches in a row. Michigan 2. Bama 3. Nebraska is on 3 now. Tennessee is on 3 in a row. Notre **** had like 4. Texas is looking pretty foolish right now.

All, not most, but all, schools go through some tough times, making bad hires. Not to mention that the biggest obstacle, Shalala, is gone. Keep the faith. If they get it wrong, we'll all let them hear it louder than ever. But to deny a search in favor of that warm blanket from the past, seems silly to me.

I'll take the warm blanket.

If I let my 4 year old make my grocery list then I can't be mad when we're eating macaroni and cheese and candy for the next month.

What does this even mean?

I'll take the chance of getting the next elite coach, instead of being so afraid that my only answer is a coach who was here like 20 years ago.

Expecting them to all of a sudden marterialize competency out of thin air is a pipe dream.

I can not see what some of the other well respected posters see when they say we should wait. Wait for what? The more time these bozos have is just more time for them to **** **** up.
Butch is a great back up plan. Go after other established coaches and the hot up and comers. If they all say no, then you got Butch waiting. Why jump to the sure thing when you have flexibility to explore your options?

By the way having Butch as a back up plan is a great fall back. No one is against Butch. We all love him, but I'm not boxing myself in to one coach like other posters. I want whats best for the program and if that means going a different direction then so be it.

Just get the coach that can turn this program around ASAP. If thats Herman, or Chip, or Babers, or Strong, or Mullen or Butch I don't care. I want the best coach possible. I and others looking at other coaches have no agendas. We are not pushing one coach, we want whats best for the program for the short and long term.

Advertisement
I like Herman to be second choice to Butch. Here is what I know about Butch, he can recruit, he will have great assistants. He is average game day coach..... Can be solved with great assistants.

With Herman, I think he's proven he's a good coach better x and o guy. What I don't know, since he's winning with someone elses players, is what will happen when his players take over the program. That's my hang up. Some of you , don't take that into consideration. Its and known unknown. That's why Butch has the edge for me.

I'd still be excited if they get him because he can coach.

I like how you guys keep thinking butch is STILL an average game day coach after all these years

A perfectionist like that man is, to think he hasn't gone back over all these years and looked at his mistakes and corrected them seems a bit silly

I like Herman to be second choice to Butch. Here is what I know about Butch, he can recruit, he will have great assistants. He is average game day coach..... Can be solved with great assistants.

With Herman, I think he's proven he's a good coach better x and o guy. What I don't know, since he's winning with someone elses players, is what will happen when his players take over the program. That's my hang up. Some of you , don't take that into consideration. Its and known unknown. That's why Butch has the edge for me.

I'd still be excited if they get him because he can coach.

He was big ten recruiter of the year and landed some big players when he got to Houston. He also got a good D.C. to join him. So I think he can do those things as well.

I don't think Butch builds the greatest teams ever again but the reason he's on my top is instant buzz. I think there's no realistic option that instantly brings as much life in the program. Chip isn't realistic. However, Herman is right with Butch because I think he is the next great coach in college football

OP is on to something with his line of reasoning in the original post. As UM either has no money, or doesn't want to spend the money to extricate a current head coach from his contractual obligations, we can forget about anyone who is currently a head coach somewhere else. That leaves us with assistant coaches like Mario, Dud and Mike Shula as well as unemployed guys like Butch as candidates for this job.

Advertisement
I'm not sure anybody on here truly knows whether or not the athletic department is profitable or it's subsidized by a stipend from other sources. Golden's buyout will be amortized over a certain period of time. The Adidas contract is pretty lucrative. My opinion is they can make it work and find a head coach and supporting staff and get value. In the case of Herman, yes, the buyout is high, but if he's the guy, then they could probably offering him $3 million per and calling it a day is viable. Let's say, the report that Miami is willing to pay up to $4 million per for their next head coach is true. After 3 bad hires, I seriously doubt they turn away a Dantonio or Patterson because they want $4.5 million per. I do believe they're committed to getting significant value and the right guy this time around. It makes no business sense to buyout a contract every 4 years like they have since 2006. Plus, you have to win to get folks into the stands. That's South Florida sports. The amount of revenue they are losing makes up for the additional costs

Last edited:
I just don't see how Butch Davis is going to create the most buzz.

Certainly not amongst recruits. It's the ultimate in "lame" if you are showing kids accomplishments from 15 or 20 years ago.

Advertisement

Certainly not amongst recruits. It's the ultimate in "lame" if you are showing kids accomplishments from 15 or 20 years ago.

Bro ... Their grandparents will be excited to meet Butch! They can talk about that game back in 1998 ...

Just for fun, here are Miami's revenue numbers over the last several years (the 2014 numbers are hot off the press - they contain info through 5/31/2015):

Survey YearGrand Total RevenueGrand Total Expenses
2003$47,470,707$47,470,707
2004$39,755,862$39,671,402
2005$41,612,310$41,612,310
2006$49,219,738$49,219,738
2007$46,849,990$46,849,990
2008$61,969,808$54,453,995
2009$56,084,064$50,836,569
2010$60,325,003$57,561,177
2011$62,099,601$61,883,503
2012$67,253,273$67,253,273
2013$71,785,978$71,785,978
2014$77,724,833$76,495,820

For 2012 and 2013 above, the athletic dept. required a subsidy from the university to match expenses (for 2013, it was over $2 million). This past year, the athletic dept was in the black. Below is more detailed info for the most recent fiscal year.

Athletically Related Student Aid
Men's TeamsWomen's TeamsTotal
Total$9,498,782$7,129,107$16,627,889
Ratio (percent)5743100%
CAVEAT

Recruiting Expenses
Total$852,386$355,178$1,207,564
CAVEAT

Operating (Game-Day) Expenses by Team
Men's TeamsWomen's Teams
Varsity TeamsParticipantsOperating Expenses per ParticipantBy TeamParticipantsOperating Expenses per ParticipantBy TeamTotal Operating Expenses
Basketball15$124,533$1,867,99925$43,461$1,086,525$2,954,524
Football111$57,899$6,426,835 $6,426,835
Baseball40$16,783$671,334 $671,334
All Track Combined68$3,570$242,74373$4,281$312,521$555,264
Diving3$13,603$40,808 $40,808
Golf 7$11,184$78,287$78,287
Rowing 56$4,139$231,773$231,773
Soccer 25$6,686$167,149$167,149
Swimming and Diving 23$6,771$155,740$155,740
Tennis12$11,402$136,81810$22,740$227,396$364,214
Volleyball 15$13,088$196,323$196,323
Total Operating Expenses Men's and Women's Teams249 $9,386,537234 $2,455,714$11,842,251
CAVEAT

Total Expenses by Team
Varsity TeamsMen's TeamsWomen's TeamsTotal
Basketball$6,573,405$4,324,621$10,898,026
Football$26,894,656 $26,894,656
Total Expenses of all Sports, Except Football and Basketball, Combined$6,488,910$10,137,544$16,626,454
Total Expenses Men's and Women's Teams$39,956,971$14,462,165$54,419,136
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport $22,076,684
Grand Total Expenses $76,495,820
CAVEAT

Total Revenues by Team
Varsity TeamsMen's TeamsWomen's TeamsTotal
Basketball$6,759,936$1,227,822$7,987,758
Football$38,985,460 $38,985,460
Total Revenues of all Sports, Except Football and Basketball, Combined$2,984,353$5,035,363$8,019,716
Total Revenues Men's and Women's Teams$48,729,749$6,263,185$54,992,934
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport $22,731,899
Grand Total for all Teams (includes by team and not allocated by gender/sport) $77,724,833
CAVEAT

Revenues and Expenses Summary
1Total of Head Coaches' Salaries$5,381,868$1,877,427$7,259,295
2Total of Assistant Coaches' Salaries$5,723,140$1,332,018$7,055,158
3Total Salaries (Lines 1+2)$11,105,008$3,209,445$14,314,453
4Athletically Related Student Aid$9,498,782$7,129,107$16,627,889
5Recruiting Expenses$852,386$355,178$1,207,564
6Operating (Game-Day) Expenses$9,386,537$2,455,714$11,842,251
7Summary of Subset Expenses (Lines 3+4+5+6)$30,842,713$13,149,444$43,992,157
8Total Expenses for Teams$39,956,971$14,462,165$54,419,136
9Total Expenses for Teams Minus Subset Expenses (Line 8 – Line 7)$9,114,258$1,312,721$10,426,979
10Not Allocated Expenses $22,076,684
11Grand Total Expenses (Lines 8+10) $76,495,820
12Total Revenues for Teams$48,729,749$6,263,185$54,992,934
13Not Allocated Revenues $22,731,899
14Grand Total Revenues (Lines 12+13) $77,724,833
15Total Revenues for Teams minus Total Expenses for Teams (Line 12-Line 8)$8,772,778-$8,198,980$573,798
16Grand Total Revenues Minus Grand Total Expenses (Line 14- Line 11) $1,229,013

Yeah, you tend to miss a lot of things.

Advertisement
Back