MMA UFC Fight Island

MMA like all sports is for the purpose of entertainment.

Every fighter has 2 objectives when they enter a fight.

1) Win
2) entertain

Usman, will struggle to become a massive star because his style is boring and Overly conservative.

Last night he had a chance to steal some fans by taking advantage of a tired and gassed Masvidal. But instead he chose to play it safe and win on points.

He’s a dominant winner. But many fans do Not consider him a dominant fighter.

When you see his name on the list of guys who’ve won 12+ in a row. He’s one of the only ones that surprises you to see he’s there. Which tells you all you need to know.

Advertisement
The thing about the fight game is it's about as pure as it gets. If guys don't like how Usman fights, then they should beat him instead of crying about him being boring. If they think that their exciting game is better than his boring game, then beat him. Take his title, and make him go away.

It's not about anyone crying, it's simply a subjective thing where MANY people don't feel the way he fights is truly fighting, at least not in the "hand to hand" combat spirit of things.

I'm fully aware that some people consider it pure...but those are in the minority. Like i said before this is a purely subjective conversation. What isn't subjective is the impact this is going to have on future PPV sales with anything involving Usman. It doesn't matter which side of the argument you are on, that is not debateable.

You ever seen the movie Rounders? There's a great line by Malkovich's Russian character in that movie....."Respect is all you have in the morning". The issue here is alot of people don't respect Usman's style. Whether or not that is "pure" is up for debate, but perception is reality and last night's fight wasn't good for the sport.

Mind you, I have a background in wrestling. I understand and appreciate Usman's skills, I just don't think the way he approached the fight last night in a UFC setting was wise.

What was the best way to do that against a vicious striker with a dicey gas tank? Stand and trade with him and get KO'd? Or do what you do best, which also happens to be what Jorge does worst?

I’m not questioning his strategy. I’m saying that it was a boring fight and that Usman (while deserving of the W) didn’t do very much.

This is like 3 yards and cloud of dust ball control vs. uptempo spread..

Everyone wants to see the highlight plays but until it doesnt work no reason to change. He controlled the entire fight.

And Im a spread guy, but if ball control got Ws and the championship pedigree, no one would complain but the losers

It was a bad fight for Masvidal because he couldn't do anything with him because styles make fights.

Usman did exactly what he was supposed to do against an opponent that can't stop his wrestling.

No one complains about Khabib. Dude is charismatic and uses his wrestling to set up vicious beatings. He traded punches with Conor, one of the better strikers in MMA history. It will be a cold day in Qatar before Usman throws hands with a striker. He is too cautious. Great for longevity, bad for the UFC. Of course, if I'm Usman I don't change a thing. It works for him and White will forced to give him fights.

A few years back, I was surprised to learn that one of the higher grossing fighters was Joe Lauzon. You might not remember him, but he was kind of a Cerrone-type fighter. Anyways he made a lot more than others of his caliber because he won fight of the night countless times. He was fun to watch, but he was never going to be champ. Usman will hold the title for a while so he doesn't have to be exciting to make money. I won't pay to watch him, but some people will.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Usman is a great fighter. The best right now.

I was hoping it was going to be a similar fight as the the Covington which is why I was hoping Jorge would win but Jorge doesn’t have the wrestling game that Covington has which is why Usman fought him the way he did. I am a big Masvidal fan but that was a no contest.

Credit where it’s due. Up to Jorge to get in better shape and change his tactics but I don’t think Usman’s style can be overcome by him.

I’d like to see Covington vs Masvidal next before another Usman vs Masvidal. Covington and Masvidal used to be best boys and now they hate each other. I want to see that spill over into the octagon.

It's not about anyone crying, it's simply a subjective thing where MANY people don't feel the way he fights is truly fighting, at least not in the "hand to hand" combat spirit of things.

I'm fully aware that some people consider it pure...but those are in the minority. Like i said before this is a purely subjective conversation. What isn't subjective is the impact this is going to have on future PPV sales with anything involving Usman. It doesn't matter which side of the argument you are on, that is not debateable.

You ever seen the movie Rounders? There's a great line by Malkovich's Russian character in that movie....."Respect is all you have in the morning". The issue here is alot of people don't respect Usman's style. Whether or not that is "pure" is up for debate, but perception is reality and last night's fight wasn't good for the sport.

Mind you, I have a background in wrestling. I understand and appreciate Usman's skills, I just don't think the way he approached the fight last night in a UFC setting was wise.
You'd feel it was fighting if you got in the ring with him or trained with him. He's a bully. Just because he doesn't fight like the guys you like doesn't mean he isn't "truly fighting."

Pull up some old Tough Man Contest videos on YouTube. That'll be more of what you like.

I’m not questioning his strategy. I’m saying that it was a boring fight and that Usman (while deserving of the W) didn’t do very much.
OK. You thought it was boring, and that's perfectly understandable. That's different than all the other stuff you were saying.

You'd feel it was fighting if you got in the ring with him or trained with him. He's a bully. Just because he doesn't fight like the guys you like doesn't mean he isn't "truly fighting."

Pull up some old Tough Man Contest videos on YouTube. That'll be more of what you like.

Not sure how that's relevant. Any of those guys would kick any of our asses. The majority of people don't like it. Doesn't matter what you and I think to be honest. It's bad for the sport. It's cheap manipulation of a human based point system.

Advertisement
Not sure how that's relevant. Any of those guys would kick any of our asses. The majority of people don't like it. Doesn't matter what you and I think to be honest. It's bad for the sport. It's cheap manipulation of a human based point system.
LOL. Cheap manipulation? If it was just trickery, someone would easily stop it. He overpowers his opponents and grinds them into the ground. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's cheap or trickery or bad for the sport.

If White wants to change the rules, then he can change them. Until then, if you're a phenomenal wrestler, strong as an ox, relentless with the determination of a pit bull, and a cardio god like Usman, you can win by bullying overmatched opponents.

LOL. Cheap manipulation? If it was just trickery, someone would easily stop it. He overpowers his opponents and grinds them into the ground. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's cheap or trickery or bad for the sport.

If White wants to change the rules, then he can change them. Until then, if you're a phenomenal wrestler, strong as an ox, relentless with the determination of a pit bull, and a cardio god like Usman, you can win by bullying overmatched opponents.

If he was a "phenomenal" wrestler, he would have gotten Masv to submit. The fact Masv blocked the majority of his take downs, on 6 days notice....well, what can you say.

As for White, wouldn't surprise me one bit if something like this does lead to some rule changes. Money talks, and people aren't going to pay to watch that garbage again.

Now the action starts. Why is Joe Rogan not on the call?

He doesn't travel internationally anymore. Dude just signed for 100M for his podcast, commentary for the UFC is his hobby.

Rogan is the #1, and he doesn't travel internationally.
DC is the #2 and he's in camp.
Felder is the #3 and he was in contact with Din Thomas and was out for COVID related reasons.

So we got stuck with Bisping, who stinks.

Advertisement
I'm always going to be a fan of a guy like Usman who beat up a MAGA-loid, so I'll be right there with you lol'ing.

Which one are you talking about? Covington or Masvidal? Because Ol' Jorge can't help himself in trying to half-assedly embrace that **** too.

If I wouldn't have passed out yesterday and only awoken 2 mins into round 1 I would've bet my parents' house on Usman because #ETTD.

If he was a "phenomenal" wrestler, he would have gotten Masv to submit. The fact Masv blocked the majority of his take downs, on 6 days notice....well, what can you say.

As for White, wouldn't surprise me one bit if something like this does lead to some rule changes. Money talks, and people aren't going to pay to watch that garbage again.
LOL. Phenomenal wrestling doesn't always lead to submissions. Wrestling and submissions aren't synonymous. Usman is an absolute elite wrestler.

Advertisement
Ima laugh so hard when Usman beats Burns & the same people are complaining about it lol...

Nobody was complaining when he beat Covington’s ***.

Can’t blame people for getting upset when they pay money for a fight and neither side takes any damage. It’s twisted but that’s why we’re fight fans.

You know the persona is an act with Colby, right? Everyone in the business says he is about the nicest guy they have ever dealt with in MMA and this is like a character he is playing kind of like how Chael P Sonnen the American Gangster from The mean streets of West Linn Oregon was a mid card guy going no where and suddenly was a main event guy fighting for titles after he started the wwf style interviews.
I used to know a guy who is in very deep in the promotion/training/UFC business, and I pitched him on the idea of having his UFC fighters adopt WWE style shticks as heels/babyfaces. He seemed to like the idea.

Not long after that, the Sonnen schtick started and then Covington got going with the comments against Brazilians and his MAGA bit.

He doesn't travel internationally anymore. Dude just signed for 100M for his podcast, commentary for the UFC is his hobby.

Rogan is the #1, and he doesn't travel internationally.
DC is the #2 and he's in camp.
Felder is the #3 and he was in contact with Din Thomas and was out for COVID related reasons.

So we got stuck with Bisping, who stinks.
Bisping is no worse than the rest of them - the commentary for UFC is generally pretty bad these days.

Advertisement
Back