MMA UFC Fight Island

Advertisement
LOL. Phenomenal wrestling doesn't always lead to submissions. Wrestling and submissions aren't synonymous. Usman is an absolute elite wrestler.
There was a moment in the fight last night where it was obvious, too. In a scramble, Jorge was on a sorta knee and had a chance to throw his hip and turn Usman over. It legitimately looked like he tried to turn a 2-ton car and Usman’s leverage and balance just completely stalemated and then overpowered the move.

Trained in BJJ for a short time, Muay Thai for a short time, and trained in Kenpo for a long while as a kid (with a crazy dude named Bart Vale, who I later found out ‘launched’ shootfighting). Kinda wish I had some formal experience with wrestling, as I’ve always admired some of the instincts those dudes put on display.

I get it can be boring, but it’s sometimes technically cool to watch. Kinda like the defensive battles in the NFL playoffs. Speaking of football, I wish every DT prospect would train in wrestling.

As for what’s next, hope Jorge gets a fight with Coby or Leon.

There was a moment in the fight last night where it was obvious, too. In a scramble, Jorge was on a sorta knee and had a chance to throw his hip and turn Usman over. It legitimately looked like he tried to turn a 2-ton car and Usman’s leverage and balance just completely stalemated and then overpowered the move.

Trained in BJJ for a short time, Muay Thai for a short time, and trained in Kenpo for a long while as a kid (with a crazy dude named Bart Vale, who I later found out ‘launched’ shootfighting). Kinda wish I had some formal experience with wrestling, as I’ve always admired some of the instincts those dudes put on display.

I get it can be boring, but it’s sometimes technically cool to watch. Kinda like the defensive battles in the NFL playoffs. Speaking of football, I wish every DT prospect would train in wrestling.

EXACTLY on that power move by Usman. I've rolled with guys who are insanely strong like that with that sort of leverage and balance, and it's discouraging. Jorge must have felt that and realized at that point that there was nothing he was going to do to change the outcome.

I'm usually very good at being able to tell when a fight is pretty much over because one of the combatants basically yields even though he hasn't technically quit. That's one of the things you see in Usman fights if you pay close enough attention and know what to look for. Guys basically give up because they can't do anything with him and can't keep him off of them.

The thing about the fight game is it's about as pure as it gets. If guys don't like how Usman fights, then they should beat him instead of crying about him being boring. If they think that their exciting game is better than his boring game, then beat him. Take his title, and make him go away.
This. Exact same type of criticism that was lobbied against Royce Gracie back in the original MMA events. Yes, the way Usman won was boring as **** for most fans. It was also a tactical masterclass in how to beat a dangerous brawler like Jorge. If you don't like the way he does it, figure out a way to stop it and make him change. Kind of along the lines of "Dont want to see us dance? Dont let us in the endzone!", right?

Advertisement
First time I’ve gotten to watch Chimaev and everything I read about him is true. This kid is Khabib on steroids.

You trained with bart?! Man thats too dope. His ken shamrock "pro wrestling fight" launched mad interest in mma over there. No Pride without these "pro bouts". Bart and Mark Jacob's are the man!

That's a pretty sick name drop bro lol

You trained with bart?! Man thats too dope. His ken shamrock "pro wrestling fight" launched mad interest in mma over there. No Pride without these "pro bouts". Bart and Mark Jacob's are the man!

That's a pretty sick name drop bro lol
I was a kid. But, yeah, out of Tiger and Dragon dojo on 8th. Have a ****load of notes I found in storage a couple years ago. Didn’t even remember taking them. I do remember he’d pick me up over his head and toss me on to a mat as a ‘get your mind right’ lesson. Or, had us ‘spar’ 1 on 2, which in hindsight is non-traditional. Bart was really about the Kenpo code: to eliminate inevitable threats, strike first and multiple times. It was the 80s, but I owe him a part of my mindset. For better or worse, I guess. Not sure if you ever got to see him; we (his students) thought he was like Andre the Giant back then. Good times.

Advertisement
I was a kid. But, yeah, out of Tiger and Dragon dojo on 8th. Have a ****load of notes I found in storage a couple years ago. Didn’t even remember taking them. I do remember he’d pick me up over his head and toss me on to a mat as a ‘get your mind right’ lesson. Or, had us ‘spar’ 1 on 2, which in hindsight is non-traditional. Bart was really about the Kenpo code: to eliminate inevitable threats, strike first and multiple times. It was the 80s, but I owe him a part of my mindset. For better or worse, I guess. Not sure if you ever got to see him; we (his students) thought he was like Andre the Giant back then. Good times.

Never saw him in person. I started training a few years after he started the shootfighting worlds. Those RINGS matches are something my pops used to play late at night after my mom went to bed. Crazy to see guys like bart and future goats like Fedor and captain America debut there.

I used to love that guy. Vale was a masterful self-promoter.

Did anyone watch the Fight Night last night?

Man, I think Dan Ige just realized he bit off more than he can chew with that fight. I like him as a good hand, but I felt he was just outclassed for 5 rounds. If Zabit wins in August, I'd like to see a rematch between Kattar and Zabit setting up a potential title match or a step up against fight against Max. They had a good fight at the end of last year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think they need to create more weight classes so they can find a way to gift benevidez a belt. Dude has lost like 27 title fights.

It's only "unwatchable" if you don't know or have an appreciation for what you're watching.

You guys want Gladiator fights, but the sport is more complex than that & the negative backlash these guys face has absolutely everything to do with winning because yall want them to lose, that's the Crux of the issue, it's the fact that a guy you don't like keeps winning is what ****es yall off lol.

Because trust me, had Masvidal won & beat Usman the same way Usman beat him, not a single one of you would be mad or upset about it because the guy you like won. Stylistic wins only matter when you're making an argument to take away from someone's win that you're not a fan of.

I get it, I just think it's funny. Because I can guarantee the exact same people ****ed & complaining will say the exact same things when Khabib beats Gaethje. He'll get the same criticisms & it'll all be because everyone just can't wait until he loses.
👀

Advertisement
Back