UCF - the best in Florida football

Advertisement
Heupel was far and away my #1 "realistic" choice for HC. Again, no reason Miami couldn't have hired Diaz in few years after learning to be a HC at Temple. And buying out his contract to land him was a ridiculous waste of money. At UCF they have a squad that eats P5 teams for breakfast, are solid on both sides of the ball, and a HC who is familiar with S Fl recruiting. Just too good a match, I guess.
You do realize Huepel is in his second year as HC...he was OC before UCF HC job...

What makes UCF better is that they actually have a competent AD while UM as an incompetent buffoon.

Advertisement
Heupel was far and away my #1 "realistic" choice for HC. Again, no reason Miami couldn't have hired Diaz in few years after learning to be a HC at Temple. And buying out his contract to land him was a ridiculous waste of money. At UCF they have a squad that eats P5 teams for breakfast, are solid on both sides of the ball, and a HC who is familiar with S Fl recruiting. Just too good a match, I guess.

Heupel is winning with Frost’s players. I’m not 100% sold on him.

I would prefer him to Manny. But since I’d prefer almost anybody being coach over Manny, that isn’t saying a lot.

Advertisement
That's not as doubtful. Except for the Orange Bowl, the ACC managed to arrange the worst bowl games tie-ins of any conference.

Didn’t the Peach Bowl used to be the #2 ACC team vs the #5 SEC team? (Really the #6 SEC team since they’d get 2 teams in BCS bowls.)

Last edited:
You do realize Huepel is in his second year as HC...he was OC before UCF HC job...

Yes as HC he's 15-1 game in his career with victories over 2 P5 teams. Only loss is #11 LSU by 8 (which beat Miami by quite a bit more). I'll put money down he'll beat Pitt next week and will be 16-1 with 3 P5 victories. I'd also say it's a pretty good bet UCF only loses 1 game this season. 24-2 with 3 P5 (possibly 4 P5 depending on the bowl matchup ) is a nice start to a career.

UCF has been the best team
in Florida for the last 4 years, not just this year.

They’ve been the King in Florida for a while now. They’re no flash in the pan...and it looks like that program is here to stay

Didn’t the Peach Bowl used to be the #2 ACC team vs the #5 SEC team? (Usually the #6 SEC team since they’d get 2 teams in BCS bowls.)

Not any more. According to the college football news website it will host one of the semi-final games in the playoffs. Also from there below are the AACC tie-ins (xref. Bowl Conference Affiliations). That will change the following year according to the ACC Web Site - ACC Bowl Agreements

ACC Bowl Ties, Affiliations

Notre Dame is eligible for any ACC bowl tie-in as long as it’s within one game of the team eligible for the slot.

Again, normally the top available ACC team goes to the Orange Bowl, but there’s no direct tie-in this year since it’s a College Football Playoff semifinal.
  • College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected
  • Capital One Orange Bowl vs. New Year’s Six
First Tier
  • Camping World Bowl vs. Big 12
  • Citrus Bowl (if top possible team is higher-ranked than SEC or Big Ten team) vs. SEC or Big Ten
  • Belk Bowl vs. SEC
  • Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. Pac-12
  • New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. Big Ten
  • Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC OR TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC
ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The ACC played in the Music City in 2015 and the TaxSlayer in 2016, 2017 & 2018. It’s almost certainly going to be in the Music City, but can still play in the TaxSlayer.​

Second Tier
  • Walk-On’s Independence Bowl vs. SEC
  • Military Bowl vs. American Athletic
  • Quick Lane Bowl vs. Big Ten
  • Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Conditional if American Athletic or Conference USA can’t fill the spot.)
  • Birmingham Bowl (Conditional if American Athletic or SEC can’t fill the spot.)
  • SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
From the ACC Web Site - ACC Bowl Agreements 2020-2025

Advertisement
Not any more. According to the college football news website it will host one of the semi-final games in the playoffs. Also from there below are the AACC tie-ins (xref. Bowl Conference Affiliations). That will change the following year according to the ACC Web Site - ACC Bowl Agreements

ACC Bowl Ties, Affiliations

Notre Dame is eligible for any ACC bowl tie-in as long as it’s within one game of the team eligible for the slot.

Again, normally the top available ACC team goes to the Orange Bowl, but there’s no direct tie-in this year since it’s a College Football Playoff semifinal.
  • College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected
  • Capital One Orange Bowl vs. New Year’s Six
First Tier
  • Camping World Bowl vs. Big 12
  • Citrus Bowl (if top possible team is higher-ranked than SEC or Big Ten team) vs. SEC or Big Ten
  • Belk Bowl vs. SEC
  • Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. Pac-12
  • New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. Big Ten
  • Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC OR TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC
ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The ACC played in the Music City in 2015 and the TaxSlayer in 2016, 2017 & 2018. It’s almost certainly going to be in the Music City, but can still play in the TaxSlayer.​

Second Tier
  • Walk-On’s Independence Bowl vs. SEC
  • Military Bowl vs. American Athletic
  • Quick Lane Bowl vs. Big Ten
  • Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Conditional if American Athletic or Conference USA can’t fill the spot.)
  • Birmingham Bowl (Conditional if American Athletic or SEC can’t fill the spot.)
  • SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
From the ACC Web Site - ACC Bowl Agreements 2020-2025

I know that’s not there’s no Peach Bowl tie in anymore, since the Peach is now a big 6 bowl. It’s just pretty memorable how ridiculous that tie in used to be.

Anyway, I always get very confused by how the current ACC bowl tie ins work. That whole second tier, first tier stuff is extremely difficult to follow.

I know that’s not the tie in anymore, since the Peach is now a big 6 bowl. It’s just pretty memorable how ridiculous that tie in used to be.
Some of the others are just foolish, the "Bad Boys Mover Gasparilla Bowl", the "SERVPRO First Responders Bowl".

UCF has been the best team
in Florida for the last 4 years, not just this year.

They’ve been the King in Florida for a while now. They’re no flash in the pan...and it looks like that program is here to stay

Past 4 years huh? Yeah they were really running the state at 6-7 in 2016. Their "national championship" year in 2017 they squeaked by Memphis, South Florida, and SMU. These guys would be a 7 or 8 win team at the very best playing in a P5 conference.

Advertisement
Some of the others are just foolish, the "Bad Boys Mover Gasparilla Bowl", the "SERVPRO First Responders Bowl".

What’s really embarrassing is that the SEC had a 6-2 record against the ACC in the Peach Bowl from 2006-2013. Through our 2005 game with LSU, the Peach Bowl tie in was the #3 ACC team vs the #4 SEC team. (Which sometimes actually meant the #4 SEC team since they didn’t always get 2 teams in BCS bowls in those days.)

Past 4 years huh? Yeah they were really running the state at 6-7 in 2016. Their "national championship" year in 2017 they squeaked by Memphis, South Florida, and SMU. These guys would be a 7 or 8 win team at the very best playing in a P5 conference.

So, in your mind, Miami has been a better football program than UCF since 2016? Outside of LSU, UCF would’ve beaten every team Miami lost to last season. And they would’ve destroyed Florida and UNC this year.

Any objective observer would tell you UCF has leapfrogged Miami - left us in its ear view mirror - and has been the best team in Florida for a while now.

The reality is we aren’t relevant in football right now. I hope that will soon change but I’m calling it the way I see it. At the moment, Miami is more known for the turnover chain than actually winning football games.

Advertisement
Back