2024 UA All American Game 1/3/2024

I predict maybe 1 finishes his career at Miami. We got the best recruiter in CFB at a time where recruiting means less n less.
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Advertisement
He’s not really diagnosing any plays. And note that he’s been in 17-games now and going to be a true Junior.

He needs to spend more the in the film room than the other guys.
That 22 class was a transition class so expectations shouldn’t be too high but that class’ returns are looking bleak.

Advertisement
That 22 class was a transition class so expectations shouldn’t be too high but that class’ returns are looking bleak.

How many stars, starters, and contributors are you expecting out of a class?

Not trying to be a ****, I just like to define how people view the world in a discussion. In this case, it’s the threshold for the 2022 class being bad.

Here’s the link to the class:

Not trying to be a ****, I just like to define how people view the world in a discussion. In this case, it’s the threshold for the 2022 class being bad.
In every class I break it down as HIT (impact player/high level starter), JAG (low impact/situational starter), MISS (transfer candidate/ warm body). I think a good class hits on 40-50% and 20-25% JAG.

2022 specifically I would say the portal class was abysmal.

I don't have a bar the initial question I asked was in reference to Mario's ability to scout 3* players. Joyce was not mentioned by anyone so I didn't discuss him. I brought up Cooper and I agreed on Young. Idk who Williams is and Allen is a RB3/4 meh. This wasn't an "AHA" moment, I was looking for a different perspective.
Does what he did at his previous stops play into evaluating his evaluations? D.J. James was a 3 star CB he signed at Oregon, now looks like he can be a 2nd round pick out of Auburn. Trey Benson was a lower 4 star, not a top 247 player, that is now going to be a top 75-100 pick. Numerous OL getting drafted that were lower ranked, or getting drafted above their recruit ranking.

Advertisement
In every class I break it down as HIT (impact player/high level starter), JAG (low impact/situational starter), MISS (transfer candidate/ warm body). I think a good class hits on 40-50% and 20-25% JAG.

Where’s the rest of the class percentage go? Into the situational/transfer category?

Does what he did at his previous stops play into evaluating his evaluations? D.J. James was a 3 star CB he signed at Oregon, now looks like he can be a 2nd round pick out of Auburn. Trey Benson was a lower 4 star, not a top 247 player, that is now going to be a top 75-100 pick. Numerous OL getting drafted that were lower ranked, or getting drafted above their recruit ranking.
I'm not a fan of incorporating previous resumes. Maybe it shows something maybe not, but I don't know enough about Oregon to comment.

I think it does. The problem there is that his track record of getting kids to the league at Oregon was exactly stellar either.

Advertisement

What about Incomplete or TBD category for a guy like Citizen ?

Here’s the link to the class:
5 out of top 6 commits have transferred or not played a down here. The top end talent from that class has been abysmal. The bottom half has been significantly better

Jimmy Johnson always had a breakdown on what you should get from a class. Something like 2-3 elite guys, 4-5 very good-, 5 starter/contributors. Maybe @TheOriginalCane can remember how he described it

Advertisement
What about Incomplete or TBD category for a guy like Citizen ?
I think guys can move from one category to the next. JAGs improve with different schemes, coaching. Hits turn to misses due to off field mistakes injuries etc. I think guys missing multiple seasons due to 1 injury is a rarity but I would put anyone without game experience in the JAG category. JAGS get a negative connotation around here imo.

Jimmy Johnson always had a breakdown on what you should get from a class. Something like 2-3 elite guys, 4-5 very good-, 5 starter/contributors. Maybe @TheOriginalCane can remember how he described it
That was just my estimation of a succeful class. I would put a guy like Bain in his own category we don't have enough of those. Rankings be dammed when an elite player is on the field you know it.

Yes, JJ wasn't always looking for "all 5 stars". He knew that you needed to have a second-string as well, and room for development.

BUT.

I'd point out that we have a lot more complications in 2024 that we didn't have in 1984. Better "5-star rankings". Recruits starting to believe in those rankings. Portal. 3-and-dones. LOTS of reasons that make it hard for the JJ-1984 approach to work the same way in 2024.

But the SPIRIT of his approach is a good one. Needs some modern-day tweaking.

5 out of top 6 commits have transferred or not played a down here. The top end talent from that class has been abysmal. The bottom half has been significantly better
Bottom half actually looks like some good evals that I'm not sure we were looking at before the hire IE Cooper and McCoy. Still some incompletes on there though. Top half is bad, hopefully Kelly and Citizen can change that.

Advertisement
Back