Tyrique Stevenson Visits Miami... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
View as article
Advertisement
The odd Miami grad that makes it into Goldman, Disney or McKinsey does not constitute consistency (like I would consider an Ivy or a host of Northeastern schools and elite nationally recognized institutions); it’s more of a coin flip or straw draw - or possibly that errant Miami alum asserting their privilege. But based upon the facts of USNWR, Florida is the better school and it has a few graduate/professional programs that are considered better, and in some cases, demonstrably so.

Also, unless you’re hiring Miami undergrads in the place of UF grads then I’m not sure what purpose that statement serves. i Would think the PhD would be the better hire, especially from a more recognized engineering program, regardless of what an undergrad brought to the table. And, shouldn’t the issue be when a 4.0 UF Engineering student and a 4.0 Miami Engineering student apply for a job, all other things being equal, which student is preferred?

Size of school...Michigan is far bigger than Miami and is also a better school. Yes, I get the smaller class size thing, but better is better. I also saw a figure that the ROI for a UF grad is higher than a UM grad. Not putting a ton of credence in that, just acknowledging that I saw it once.

Anyway, the point is that many of these schools are good and getting better and it’s silly to knock some of these schools when all of them have some extremely bright individual students who can go anywhere and excel in any environment.

Michigan is at a whole "other" level. They have incredibly successful graduates.......... Michigan is slightly below the UCLAs, Georgetown's, Berkeley's, etc... On the basis of the diploma's strength, Miami and UF are nowhere near Michigan......

Emory is consistently highly ranked but its graduates do not fare as well as NOtre Dame's, Georgetown's or even Boston College's.

We will agree to disagree, but if my child had to choose between UM and UF, there is zero chance I would back UF. UM is better regarded, possesses greater resources, boasts much smaller class sizes and is on a steep trajectory. UF's undergraduate reputation is a shell of what it was in 1999.

Advertisement
Miami is tied for 48th among the roughly 60 P5 schools. Baylor, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia, Louisville and Arkansas are the only P5’s that are ranked behind Miami engineering (undergrad).

Undergrad engineering
UF #34
UCF #82
UM #99

2019 Engineering (Graduate)
Florida #34
UCF #43
USF #91
UM #97

2019 Law (grad)
UF #41
FSU #47
UM #65

2019 Research Med School
UF #41
UM #50
USF #55
UCF #86

2019 Business (graduate)
UF #34
UM #65

OVERALL (undergrad)
UF #42
UM #46
FSU #81

Really surprised with FSU's Law School ranking. Does anyone know anybody who graduated from FSU law school?

Advertisement
The odd Miami grad that makes it into Goldman, Disney or McKinsey does not constitute consistency (like I would consider an Ivy or a host of Northeastern schools and elite nationally recognized institutions); it’s more of a coin flip or straw draw - or possibly that errant Miami alum asserting their privilege. But based upon the facts of USNWR, Florida is the better school and it has a few graduate/professional programs that are considered better, and in some cases, demonstrably so.

Also, unless you’re hiring Miami undergrads in the place of UF grads then I’m not sure what purpose that statement serves. i Would think the PhD would be the better hire, especially from a more recognized engineering program, regardless of what an undergrad brought to the table. And, shouldn’t the issue be when a 4.0 UF Engineering student and a 4.0 Miami Engineering student apply for a job, all other things being equal, which student is preferred?

Size of school...Michigan is far bigger than Miami and is also a better school. Yes, I get the smaller class size thing, but better is better. I also saw a figure that the ROI for a UF grad is higher than a UM grad. Not putting a ton of credence in that, just acknowledging that I saw it once.

Anyway, the point is that many of these schools are good and getting better and it’s silly to knock some of these schools when all of them have some extremely bright individual students who can go anywhere and excel in any environment.

Why in the **** are we talking about mgmt consulting & ibanking in the TS thread!

Advertisement
Does he plan to say where he’s going or will it be the day of type of thing?

(My poor attempt at getting this thread back on track)

And, shouldn’t the issue be when a 4.0 UF Engineering student and a 4.0 Miami Engineering student apply for a job, all other things being equal, which student is preferred?

The Miami one, because we just different. UF engineering grads are weenies with no practical experience. ;)

Advertisement
**** RIP Juedy thread this is going to demolish that thread in pages. Tyrique the god

I'm telling y'all boys keep Stevenson and Richards both at corner both them would be bullies out there smothering receivers and taking their lunch money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back