Tyquan Thornton Gets an Offer

This is a much better reason to not allow some guys (e.g. Moore) to commit. If some guys are going to be late bloomers, our geography gives us the advantage to identify and grab them. Height requirements are foolish. "Be the best prospect" requirements make a ton of sense.

Advertisement
dugans was quoted somewhere a few weeks ago, I am trying to locate the link, that they were taking up to 5 wr's.

Love when guys are able to come in and take that offer with a big camp performance. Herb Waters did the same thing when people doubted whether or not he was UM caliber.

Love when guys are able to come in and take that offer with a big camp performance. Herb Waters did the same thing when people doubted whether or not he was UM caliber.

IIRC, Hurns also solidified his status as the real deal in the summer camps prior to his SR year.

Advertisement
I know speed should separate Miami from other teams and this kid Thornton fits the bill. Pete has said Miami has minimum interest in Elijah Moore because he similar stature to Thomas and Harley. Thornton fills both the size 6'3" and speed 4.38 need, so I suspect the staff after seeing this kid first hand decided he was the guy they wanted. It'll be my guess if there is someone else they prefer they'll probably ask for a commitment or move on to secure Thornton.

How's his 40 and shuttle times? Those are more interesting to me than 100m for a WR.

If he's got that shorter area speed and quickness, then there's no way you pass on a 6'3 local dude like that who also looks like a good football player.

I didnt see dynamic ability in his junior tape. I like kevin Austin and Xavier Williams a lot more for the final spot at receiver.
Personally, I need to see more this season

Well, Xavier Williams is already committed to Bama. The question is, if this kid wants to commit to UM, do you like the other so much more that you tell him to hold off? That would be the MO of past staphs. Slow play the elite local player because you think the more elite player have a chance of flipping. I would take this kids commitment and figure it out later if another elite kid wants in. History tells us any other approach gets you none of the 3 you've listed.

I'd like to think the only reason you offer a kid late like this is because your willing to accept his commitment regardless of others. But who knows? Maybe they are trying to leverage him to make another kid make a decision. But I think they would take him if he commits. Just feel like Richt wouldn't sacrifice a possible relationship at a local feeder school

Advertisement
This is a much better reason to not allow some guys (e.g. Moore) to commit. If some guys are going to be late bloomers, our geography gives us the advantage to identify and grab them. Height requirements are foolish. "Be the best prospect" requirements make a ton of sense.
I don't believe there really are any specific height requirements, it just so happens that most of the WR's that would be taken ahead of E Moore are also taller than him.

Quite frankly, the height discussion doesn't make any sense, mainly because taller WR doesn't mean better WR, but being 6'0+ while also having good speed, good hands & route running is all apart of what makes a prospect good/great.

There are things Thornton/Austin(etc) can do that Moore (or others his size) can't do, just as there are things the smaller WR's can do that the bigger guys could struggle with.

Idk when Moore became Odell Beckham Jr lol, but there's legitimate reasons why he's not a take right now, his height isn't necessarily the main reason, but it does factor in.

Did we know that Thornton's dad works at UM?

****nio spittting .gif

You serious?!!?!?!

Advertisement
If it's a legit offer, then I'd expect Thornton to jump on it very quickly. Local guy. Underrated. Arguably only 1 spot left at WR.

Yeah. He's gonna jump quickly if that offer's legit.

I don't believe there really are any specific height requirements, it just so happens that most of the WR's that would be taken ahead of E Moore are also taller than him.

Quite frankly, the height discussion doesn't make any sense, mainly because taller WR doesn't mean better WR, but being 6'0+ while also having good speed, good hands & route running is all apart of what makes a prospect good/great.

There are things Thornton/Austin(etc) can do that Moore (or others his size) can't do, just as there are things the smaller WR's can do that the bigger guys could struggle with.

Idk when Moore became Odell Beckham Jr lol, but there's legitimate reasons why he's not a take right now, his height isn't necessarily the main reason, but it does factor in.

It wasn't too long ago that a 6'3-6'5 receiver with hands and speed was viewed as a must get for any P5 school. More recently, with the success of Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Desean Jackson, etc. and a change in playing style at the pro level which trickles down to the college level to some extent guys, guys like Moore and Harley are getting more traction as viable receivers in P5 systems.

I agree with you though. Height is a minimal to non-factor if the guy you get has elite speed, elite hands, elite route running, and (in Richt's system) elite run blocking. However, since those other factors are harder to project, the simple solution to finding a decent receiver is give me a guy with height, speed, and decent hands and you can improve on the other things. It all comes down to what our coaching staff prefers in a receiver and I trust their judgment since they have been doing this a lot long than most of us have.

Advertisement
Kid dominated UF camp got the offer
Kid dominated UM camp and got the offer

Kid could be in line for a big summer

Amazing to most he was unheard of until 48 hours ago

Allen Hurns trajectory...if u remember his recruitment...same exact way

Found this online. Speed merchants of dade.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Humble_Ty19/status/705027675593682944[/TWEET]

CcjC7XpVIAEGvWG.jpg

What are the names of these young Bolts!! And was this a picture from this past track season??

Tyrese cooper, Horne, tyquan, bethel

Terrence Horne Jr- Miramar- 10.47 100 m...Oregon State offer
Nigel Bethel Jr- mnw- UF commit I believe

Tyrese Cooper offered by everyone for track

Tyquan Thornton- BTW- Our new phenom offer

Advertisement
Back