Tvd hitting [the portal?]

Advertisement
If that is the case.. why did we not hear about any of this beforehand? Footballville was slurping TVD all off season talking bout “TVD gonna TVD”. I been said he cannot read defenses last year, because Smith would be open A LOT and not get looked at. We just threw deep passes to the other side.. HOWEVER, it’s on GATTIS to build an offense around what TVD can and CANNOT do!!! Instead of putting him into this $hitty offense where he has to overthink!!! This offense just says **** the vertical passing game (what TVD did best last year) we just gonna dink and donk! TVD ain’t who people thought but Gattis is worse! Only uses one side of the field (which makes sense if TVD limited) however, he doesn’t have a decoy on the other side AT ALL and doesn’t attempt a pass beyond 15 yards! Recipe for disaster! That means we only use about a 30 yard window we throw into smh! When it’s on the short side it’s even smaller! Hence the interception on the short side while running two WR’s outside the hash doing outs against press coverage on timing routes where the QB just does his drop and throws it to the spot! Scheme is horrible!!!! View attachment 209516
I am sure Mallory is not where he is supposed to be. I remember a comment by one of the coaches that the receivers are not running their routes correctly.
Mallory runs terrible route and seems to be freelancing. Pass still should not have been thrown.

Mario ruined Herbert lol.

Are we going to parrot idiot
Oregon fans with this nonsense?

Herbert is 6th all time in PAC 12 passing TD's. He was a first round top 6 pick. Man Mario really ruined that guy!!

He didn't play in an air raid throw it 50-70 times per game offense.

The fact he played in the type of offense Mario had him in prepared him more for the NFL, than what some of what the other offenses would have. His transition has been smooth.

I am a big offense guy. I like spread offense.

I was on Grassy back in 2007 saying we should hire Mike Leach!

I get it, but to say Mario is a QB killer is just phony Bs.
Herbert was there when he got there and honestly didn't take advantage of him how they should have.

If his offense truly did "prepare" him for the NFL he wouldn't have had to get a BC transfer at Oregon. His 2 QBs after he left were Tyler Shough and Anthony Brown. To say that isn't concerning would be putting your head in the sand.

I'm also not sure you watch the NFL any more if you think this offense is preparing QBs for the NFL.

Yall are so dumb man. Can Tom Brady go anywhere and play QB? absolutely. So TVD can't grasp a new system and it's the coaches fault because he can't adjust and read defense and go through progressions? It's about seeing defense the right way and getting your mechanics right and throwing the ball to your WR. There have been plenty wide open players this year that TVD has flat out missed the throw. But that's the coach? stop blaming coaches for everything man.
Something isn't right. By all accounts, he made the plays in practice. It's not translating to games.

Hopefully they get things worked out with the bye week, but I'm NOT confident in him for the simple fact that 4 weeks into the season he's going backwards. Regressing. The offense should become easier not harder.

I think TVD and Jake should split reps with the 1's in practice. I give TVD the start if his practices are good, but he should have a short leash of 2-3 bad series.

UNC should be a "get right" game. They are 126th in Total Defense. They are 123rd in scoring defense, 123rd in rush defense, 113th passing yards allowed, and 98th in 3rd down defense. There are131 D-1 teams.

If we can't blow them out, then our season is cooked.

I am sure Mallory is not where he is supposed to be. I remember a comment by one of the coaches that the receivers are not running their routes correctly.
Mallory runs terrible route and seems to be freelancing. Pass still should not have been thrown.
How the fugg are any of these kids supposed to have mastered this offense that has five different routes that they can run depending on the play call and the defensive formation. That’s way too much bullshyt to have to think about. The more a player has to think out on the field, the slower he will play. Simplify the plays and routes and we will see improved results.

Advertisement
Something isn't right. By all accounts, he made the plays in practice. It's not translating to games.

Hopefully they get things worked out with the bye week, but I'm NOT confident in him for the simple fact that 4 weeks into the season he's going backwards. Regressing. The offense should become easier not harder.

I think TVD and Jake should split reps with the 1's in practice. I give TVD the start if his practices are good, but he should have a short leash of 2-3 bad series.

UNC should be a "get right" game. They are 126th in Total Defense. They are 123rd in scoring defense, 123rd in rush defense, 113th passing yards allowed, and 98th in 3rd down defense. There are131 D-1 teams.

If we can't blow them out, then our season is cooked.
I get what you're saying about TVD but I don't expect anybody to blow out UNC. We might score 40 but we also might give up 100 if the D played like they did last week. But obviously there is a disconnect with TVD. I watched Borregalas and a bunch others on the bench when we scored with Garcia and I noticed it was almost like they've been waiting for Jake to be the QB. But the problem with TVD obviously is locking onto receivers which allows defense to jump routes. When X is in, It's X and Mallory. Last game it was Mallory and Ladson. But regardless if the team is going to rally behind Jake, Give Jake the ball. Who cares that our fans and Media crowned TVD king if he's not getting it done, You have to put somebody in that will

I said it last week, don't be surprise his hitting the portal. His not getting drafted anymore. What I like about Lashlee system is it makes QBs look good. I'm hoping Mario fixes this offense up
They are sadly realizing now that this offense may have been great 2-3 years from now, but that it would have been better to either dumb it down for a very new OL learning to get tougher and execute fundaments and a QB used to slinging it in a different concept.

That said, sorry.....you give me a Mike Leach QB, and I will still expect him to hit the majority, the LARGE majority, of wide ******* open receivers that were missed Saturday REGARDLESS of what system he is in and how comfortable he may or might not be in it....

Herbert was there when he got there and honestly didn't take advantage of him how they should have.

If his offense truly did "prepare" him for the NFL he wouldn't have had to get a BC transfer at Oregon. His 2 QBs after he left were Tyler Shough and Anthony Brown. To say that isn't concerning would be putting your head in the sand.

I'm also not sure you watch the NFL any more if you think this offense is preparing QBs for the NFL.
What did him being there have to do with Mario ruining him? He performed very well and was a 1st round pick.

Mario didn't ruin him. Would he have put up more pure passing numbers in an air raid offense, yes of course.

What I mean is that if you are not in air raid, typically the offense is more complex where you have to make more reads and work progressions more. As you are seeing with TVD when offense is dumb down to a simple RPO read if a LB bites on run, then throw it behind it takes little more processing.

Advertisement
What did him being there have to do with Mario ruining him? He performed very well and was a 1st round pick.

Mario didn't ruin him. Would he have put up more pure passing numbers in an air raid offense, yes of course.

What I mean is that if you are not in air raid, typically the offense is more complex where you have to make more reads and work progressions more. As you are seeing with TVD when offense is dumb down to a simple RPO read if a LB bites on run, then throw it behind it takes little more processing.
sounds and looks to me like Oregon had Herbert NFL ready because he came in as a rookie and played pretty **** well. And for the people using Burrow as a comparison. He had Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, Edward's-Hellaire, Thad Moss, and Terrance Mitchell. We have not 1 NFL WR on this roster so the Burrow comparison Is DAF!!

Still pushing the false negative that Mario hurt Herbert.

As I was watching the Jaguars beat the ever loving **** out of the Chargers on Sunday...

In the NFL, Herbert still does a lot of things that he did in college...most of the Chargers offense is still short stuff...the same stuff Herbert was criticized for in college.

The difference is that the Chargers take advantage of that ******* howitzer on Herbert's shoulder to unleash demons once in a while and push the ball downfield. Marcus Arroyo as the OC of those Oregon teams did not push the ball downfield at all...its possible its because of personnel...Oregon back then didn't have deep ball guys, they had a bunch of big, slower WRs that were more possession guys and good receiving backs.

With that said...I tend to agree, as we see Herbert's career unfolding...because he's a star, but was a star at Oregon, too. They just didn't unleash that bazooka, but its possible it was a personnel issue + the offense Arroyo ran.

Fun fact. Everybody saying TVD was so good last year..

Completion %

2021-62.3
2022- 59.3

Not exactly a huge difference.
Large chunk plays and a big arm hid the truth that he was erratic with accuracy and locked into his first read. He doesn’t know how to read a defense because Lashlee spoon fed him one or two options. That kind of offense works against ACC Corstal teams, but Clemson and Bama exposed that.

And yet Gattis and Mario know this, and refuse to do anything about it. Everyone is to blame.

I get what you're saying about TVD but I don't expect anybody to blow out UNC. We might score 40 but we also might give up 100 if the D played like they did last week. But obviously there is a disconnect with TVD. I watched Borregalas and a bunch others on the bench when we scored with Garcia and I noticed it was almost like they've been waiting for Jake to be the QB. But the problem with TVD obviously is locking onto receivers which allows defense to jump routes. When X is in, It's X and Mallory. Last game it was Mallory and Ladson. But regardless if the team is going to rally behind Jake, Give Jake the ball. Who cares that our fans and Media crowned TVD king if he's not getting it done, You have to put somebody in that will
The defense giving up the big plays is on Steele 100%!!!

You don't play schemes that your guys are incapable of playing. If that wasn't apparent before the game, it should have been after the 1st big play.

So, I don't expect we'll see that defense again. More nickel and dime packages with 2 safties over the top. Play Kam, Avante, and James. This way they can still have 2 safties over the top if the offense goes 4 wide. James move to the box and flex out giving a 4-1-4-2 look (dime coverage). They can switch to quarters zone coverage as well. There are plenty of schemes to keep 2 safties over the top to show the offense they can't throw deep.

The defensive line needs to bring it like the AtM game.

Play solid and we should win. It should be big if we don't give up big plays and don't turn the ball over.

The UNC defense has been a wet paper bag all season.

Forget about the lack of effort for a moment. MTSU had 4 huge chunk plays and 3 TDs off of turnovers. One of which was a pick 6.

Take away the turnovers & 4 big plays, the game is completely different even with the **** poor effort. As I said, the big play were about the defensive scheme. Yes, the CBs got beat, but there were no safety help to break up the play or at least make a tackle. Nobody should be getting behind the defense. That's what safties are for.

Steele needs to stop asking guys to do things they are incapable of. Scheme around what they do best.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Large chunk plays and a big arm hid the truth that he was erratic with accuracy and locked into his first read. He doesn’t know how to read a defense because Lashlee spoon fed him one or two options. That kind of offense works against ACC Corstal teams, but Clemson and Bama exposed that.

And yet Gattis and Mario know this, and refuse to do anything about it. Everyone is to blame.

can you put up the tape of our game last year against clemson so we can see?

let me guess, you never played or coached QB in college.

fun fact: that is not how lashlee's offense worked last year, and actually, with the level concepts he ran, actually had many multi-progression reads for the QB. But keep at it, it's amusing to guys who actually know what they are talking about. next thing we know, you'll try convincing everyone they should believe in god

Herbert completed 66% of his passes his Senior season (8 YPA), 32 TD's to 6 INT's and Oregon went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl. Herbert then went Top 6 in the draft. I don't understand for the life of me the narrative that Mario 'ruined' him. Absolute insanity.

Advertisement
let me guess, you never played or coached QB in college.

fun fact: that is not how lashlee's offense worked last year, and actually, with the level concepts he ran, actually had many multi-progression reads for the QB. But keep at it, it's amusing to guys who actually know what they are talking about. next thing we know, you'll try convincing everyone they should believe in god
Rhett it’s ok. I know you still haven’t figured out a competent rushing attack with your 2.8 ypc against TCU and your 3.6 ypc against mighty Maryland, but we all agree you’re much better than Gattis.

Herbert completed 66% of his passes his Senior season (8 YPA), 32 TD's to 6 INT's and Oregon went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl. Herbert then went Top 6 in the draft. I don't understand for the life of me the narrative that Mario 'ruined' him. Absolute insanity.
Didn't ruin him but didn't take advantage of a generational talent.

They lost to a 9-4 Auburn and 8-5 ASU. Team should have been in the playoffs

So only Jahmile Addae was there with intensity, all other coaches just showed up....says TVD and others looked like they were at Club LIV till 3am..

Advertisement
Back