TVD (He Gone)

Advertisement
My bad 2-3 but I don’t think king was playing well that year imo I remember everyone saying he is missing throws and reads early on especially the app state game. I always thought lashlee offense at its best was with someone with great arm talent

He was 1-2 when he was lost for the season. The two losses were to Bama and a Michigan State team that finished 11-2. There was no other team on the schedule even close to as good as those two teams. I think we probably have one more L on the season if King is healthy.

And King didn't have a great passing game against App State, but he made up for it with his legs, rushing for 79 yards on 19 carries. That's the great thing about dual threat QBs - they can still generate offense when they aren't making throws. I think he was trusting his knee more after he made it through the opener against Bama. The most important thing is King rarely threw INTs. That alone will win you more games.

He was 1-2 when he was lost for the season. The two losses were to Bama and a Michigan State team that finished 11-2. There was no other team on the schedule even close to as good as those two teams. And King didn't have a great passing game against App State, but he made up for it with his legs, rushing for 79 yards on 19 carries. That's the great thing about dual threat QBs - they can still generate offense when they aren't making throws. I think he was trusting his knee more after he made it through the opener against Bama.
Agree to disagree. I think the offense looked better with tvd that year and i don’t think we were a 11-2 caliber team no qb changes that imo

Sometimes it just has to be this way. Does not imply failure on either party.

Agreed but I think it implies failure on both parties in this instance. I don't think it signifies some character flaw or whatever on TVD though but it's still up in the air if it's indicative of a professional flaw with this staff and specifically this head coach in relation to QB development and management.

As far as Restrepo, I think a lot of people are misdirecting their angst at a very productive WR that gets every inch of his talent from his frame instead of directing it to the fact that an undersized WR was our #1 WR due to QB comfort and some other issues. That's not Restrepo's fault.

Should the kid have said "Stop targeting me soooo much! I don't want the ball! I'm sick of having to do all this acrobatic **** sooo much when I'm really more suited to be a verrrry good 3rd option in a program that is running a sane offense and should* have perennial WR talent and size!"

Last edited:
Advertisement
Other players and recruits see that ****. Why would they want to play for a fan base who trashes their own players like that?
I completely agree with that, but on the other hand, I also laugh at all the apparent newbie pom pom kids on here that wanted a support group formed around him after miserable play. Nothing worse than “fans” who think any criticism means not being a “fan”…normally with their big bad 10 years under their belts.

The kid had highs and lows for sure. Life sucks sometimes, but reality is that both get called out. Don’t like it? Play a less visible sport without a scholarship or NIL opportunities…with those “adult” benefits comes accountability…sux, but is what it is

Did TVD get butthurt on the same day Mario made the comment about not being held hostage on the Joe Rose show?

This aligns with what others have said
I get the feeling that the Joe Rose interview was Mario sharing frustration on the whole transfer portal nonsense and not just TVD. Sounds like poaching is at an all time high in both directions. It has to be hard even for a detail guy like Mario to keep up with it all.

Advertisement
What I simply mean is that Miami guys save comments about a fan base being the problem at one point for when they leave, especially when they knew the drill while being recruited. They don’t air it out with the media during a season.

They also normally wouldn’t say the things he would after 4 picks, like football isn’t all there is in life, when asked about bad games. I appreciate that point…but they would own and talk about how they are going to fix it.

I always had a problem with his demeanor on the field. That demeanor was different against BC….he used his legs a few time to get out of situations he took sacks in earlier..he actually fought…he looked like he cared.

My point is that if he was injured this whole time, he wasn’t miraculously healed for BC…he was auditioning for the portal. Hard to blame him, I just wanted that desire every game.

Bottom line “a Miami guy” wasn’t really the point and I could have used a different term…I mean a guy who left it all on the field every time he went out…I just didn’t see that. That is not saying he isn’t a good guy or a good QB at times.
Thank you for explaining.

I’m not sure most people would agree that your definition is being a Miami guy but I’ll take more “Miami guys” by your definition.

Not sure if anything ever gets brought to light but something really fishy happened with him during that 3-4 game stretch where he forgot how to play football.
When the kid was good, he was very good. But damnit when he was bad, he was horrifically bad.

He played some of his worst football at UM during that stretch, and you just can’t have that kind of inconsistency from your QB.

This is best for both parties.

Advertisement
Definitely ready to move on. Whether it was him attacking the fan base saying he preferred playing on the road, flirting with Bama and threatening to leave when everyone else on the team was 100% invested and looking forward to the season, being “non-committal” these last couple of weeks, and looking disinterested at times during games, I had seen enough. I honestly believe these last two games were an audition for other teams, and had nothing to do with winning for the team. Just because you wear the “U” on your helmet it doesn’t make you a Cane. It’s about leadership, heart, toughness,etc. I’m ready for us to go find that guy.

If D'Eriq King stays healthy in 2021, I think Miami would have won 9 or 10 games (UVA and UNC would have been wins) , which means we never see TVD, Diaz doesn't get fired, and no Mario Cristobal. Don't know if yet if that is a good or bad thing.
You conveniently forgot that King wasn't able to see ANYTHING down the field, because his line of sight was through the belly of an O-lineman. Once teams figured that out, he wasn't a very good QB. Athletic, and fun to watch sometimes, but not a QB that was going to get us where we wanted to go. Also, you could say a TVD that was throwing for 300 yards a game might have won some of the games we lost that season under King. The best our team looked all year was down the **** stretch.

King tore his ACL tear in the bowl game only a few months earlier. A dual threat QB who is thinking about his knee giving out isn't much of a dual threat. If King is healthy all 2021, the season has a much better ending.

And how could King be 2-4 when he didn't play again after game 3 against Michigan State?

Against UVA we lost 30-28, Lashlee kept the training wheels on with TVD. He was only making short safe throws. 15/29 for 200 yards and 1 TD. If you don't think King would have done better, you are crazy. And then UNC we lost 45-42. TVD had 3 INTs and just one 1 TD. King threw 5 INTs all 2020. Highly doubtful he would have thrown 3 picks against UNC.
King wasn't much of a dual threat, if we're being honest. A QB that can't hit targets down the field, because he can't SEE the targets down the field, is more like a threat and a half. He was a threat to run it, and a threat to throw it short. Once defenses forgot about the deep ball, his playing days were over. Great kid, but a dual threat he was not.

Advertisement
Hope we have a 2a and 2b.
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Advertisement
Back