TVD "good to go"

Yes we need to limit turnovers no doubt.

**** NAH on the bolded. This ain’t Iowa. 24 points is not enough to beat most teams. Asking our defense to repeat last week’s performance is not realistic. Nor should the offense have to rely on the defense because “we’re only going to score 3 TDs.”

Can we win with that score? Sure but score 30+ and put the game away. No need to go back to a 2018 team that relies on its defense to win games. Dawson is the man let’s have him win the game with TVD since Guidry and the boys won it last week.
I’m just trying to temper expectations because it felt to me like UM went into the GTech game trying to make a statement with how many points we could score instead of showing a willingness to just win. I‘ve always thought the best way to blow a team out is to just play the game correctly. If they drop 8, then run the ball because there is space to do that and when you attack, run vertical routes.
I also think TVD has a problem with long crossing routes against zone defenses. Even against Ohio the 1 interception was that long crosser when he didn’t see the safety playing underneath the route.

I’m also not convinced that our talent level is so superior to most of the ACC that we should be blowing teams out. I think we are 10-14 points better than the bottom half of the Conference. Breaks go our way and we will wi by 20. Breaks go against us and we are in a dog fight. I hope I am wrong but is just how I see this team.

Advertisement
I’m just trying to temper expectations because it felt to me like UM went into the GTech game trying to make a statement with how many points we could score instead of showing a willingness to just win. I‘ve always thought the best way to blow a team out is to just play the game correctly. If they drop 8, then run the ball because there is space to do that and when you attack, run vertical routes.
I also think TVD has a problem with long crossing routes against zone defenses. Even against Ohio the 1 interception was that long crosser when he didn’t see the safety playing underneath the route.

I’m also not convinced that our talent level is so superior to most of the ACC that we should be blowing teams out. I think we are 10-14 points better than the bottom half of the Conference. Breaks go our way and we will wi by 20. Breaks go against us and we are in a dog fight. I hope I am wrong but is just how I see this team.
Did you watch a different GT game than I did?

There was absolutely no part about that game where we tried to make a statement with how many points we could score. None. Zip. Zero.

The statement we were trying to make was “we’re going to only rush the ball right up the middle. We dare you to stop it. Send 8, **** even 9 and we’re still going to do the same thing. Because everybody knows your dead last in rushing defense.” If anything we were playing GT like we were trying to beat them 24-14 like you said we should do against UVA.

The second bolded part is exactly the reason we have to score 30+ points every game. Because if we don’t broken coverages, boneheaded penalties, and letting the refs decide the game is how we lose 23-20 to the GTs and UVAs of the world.

There was absolutely no part about that game where we tried to make a statement with how many points we could score. None. Zip. Zero.

The statement we were trying to make was “we’re going to only rush the ball right up the middle. We dare you to stop it. Send 8, **** even 9 and we’re still going to do the same thing. Because everybody knows your dead last in rushing defense.” If anything we were playing GT like we were trying to beat them 24-14 like you said we should do against UVA.

The second bolded part is exactly the reason we have to score 30+ points every game. Because if we don’t broken coverages, boneheaded penalties, and letting the refs decide the game is how we lose 23-20 to the GTs and UVAs of the world.
I felt we asked TVD to do things in the GTech game that he is not good at doing, namely reading zone coverages and finding the holes in the zone. THe INT’s were drive killers and each involved him throwing into coverage. We were running the ball well and should have stuck to that. And when we passed I would have preferred we run multiple vertical routes, make the safeties pick a receiver, and then ask TVD to go vertical on the single covered receiver.
I am not against aggressive play, but it should be to the player’s strength. 15-20 yard crossing routes won’t work for TVD. He doesn’t pick up the defenders well.

We may just see this team differently. I want to score 30+ per game, but I don’t think the offense alone has to do that. ST’s, defense can also help with short fields and even scores. I also think we can win relatively low scoring games in which we don’t commit turnovers and give short fields.

We, for some id1otic reason, reverted to Gattis ball against GT... running headfirst into an 8 man front over and over again... I am not sure if it was Mario trying to play Macho man. It certainly backfired.

I felt we asked TVD to do things in the GTech game that he is not good at doing, namely reading zone coverages and finding the holes in the zone. THe INT’s were drive killers and each involved him throwing into coverage. We were running the ball well and should have stuck to that. And when we passed I would have preferred we run multiple vertical routes, make the safeties pick a receiver, and then ask TVD to go vertical on the single covered receiver.
I am not against aggressive play, but it should be to the player’s strength. 15-20 yard crossing routes won’t work for TVD. He doesn’t pick up the defenders well.

We may just see this team differently. I want to score 30+ per game, but I don’t think the offense alone has to do that. ST’s, defense can also help with short fields and even scores. I also think we can win relatively low scoring games in which we don’t commit turnovers and give short fields.
You’re watching a different team than I am then. We absolutely can score 30+ per game.

We ran the ball 47 times against GT at 3.5 yards per carry and you wanted us to run it more??? You also thought we were running it well? You have a skewed definition of well if you think we were running it well.

TVD absolutely had his head up his *** that game but we could have used more screens to open up the field more. We were playing in a phone booth all game.

You know **** well that you don’t want us to play more pEnos or Gatass ball that only scores 17-23 points per game. And you’re out of you god**** mind if you think that’s enough to win.

Advertisement
Comparing TVD to Ryan Day might actually be the most absurd thing posted on this board today.

TVD is 3-2 against FBS programs this season. He is one game over .500 for his career.

He has never beaten a top tier ACC team.

He had a great freshman campaign. He crashed and burned badly his sophomore year. He started his junior year well but was a big part of why we lost to Tech and was far from special against UNC.

He is a decent quarterback with superb physical tools who is prone to some extreme tunnel vision and situational blindness. His leadership skills are marginal at best. He exhibits favoritism with his targets (Clemson was the first FBS game where Restrepo didn’t lap every other receiver in targets and catches).

The TVD sycophants are really his worst enemy because he is not close to who they want him to be.
Didn’t 2021 pitt win the acc? And wasn’t nc state 9-3 that year? Lol do we have amnesia?

Advertisement
Back