TV Shows...endings

I’m sitting here watching Two and a Half Men season 4. Got me thinking...what are your worst turns tv shows have taken?

this show after Charlie
Seinfeld, sopranos, and GOT ending...

what else you all got?

Worst Endings:
La Femme Nikita: Its final season completely invalidated the preceding seasons and flipped the premise on its head. And not in a good way
Game of Thrones: Rushed last season with unsatisfactory final episode
War of the Worlds: Season 2 showrunner never watched Season 1, killed off half the cast and wrote contradictory storylines in the second season
Galactica 1980: Budget cuts, rushed production, and being slotted into the 7pm Sunday period led to a horrid second season of Galactica that sullied the franchise and helped to lengthy the time to its eventual revival

Advertisement
Advertisement
6442DA2B-F7DB-4341-9B81-D4351AAF3A59.gif

Let's not forget Lost. That was horrid.

Dexter would have been fine if they ended it with him going out to sea. I remember telling my wife that I hope it ends right here, but no.
I'm not having that.

If you didn't bail on Lost at the start of the second season, I've no sympathy for you.

It was clear, when they didn't answer the cliffhanger of season one, that they were making it up as they went along. Hacks.

Advertisement
The Blacklist started with a strong concept, and James Spader was terrific as Raymond Reddington. But the long story arc of questioning Liz’s past went three or four seasons too many.

Same with The X-Files, with the ‘truth‘ of the alien cover-up repeating itself over and over.
I guess I just have a sixth sense for these shows. I watched the first series of The Blacklist and realised it wasn't going anywhere.

The X-Files lost it's way when Duchovny left.

Advertisement
The worst part of GoT ending that poorly is that HBO green lit the directors to go for 3 more seasons (8,9 and 10). The directors said no because they had just been hired to direct the new Star Wars film at that time.
Even worse still, they got let go of from the Star Wars project so they rushed through for literally nothing. They basically said FU to what could have been the greatest show of all time and said “meh, we can squeeze everything into one last season” and then proceeded to make the worst possible version of that final season.
If they were smart they would have done Season 8- focus the whole season around the impending battle with the walkers. Go into way more detail on that and have that battle be the finale of the season.
Season 9- full season on the war against Kings Landing and for gods sake give us a WAY more satisfying death to Cersei. Start showing Danaerys have signs of losing her grip and going slightly mad queen.
Season 10- full season of Danaerys slowly going into madness more and more until she is full on mad queen and tie up all of the other loose ends in the show.
God I’m still much more bitter about this than I thought lol
Timing wasn’t the issue. What you are describing would have been brutal.

Their issue was neither one is a decent writer. GoT thrived off great dialogue with memorable lines written by a pretty capable fantasy writer. The shoe runners were only capable of reproducing what was written rather faithfully. Once they ran out of books the wheels came off from a plot and dialogue perspective.

The ending we got is likely as good as we could expect because GRRM has no idea how to wrap this thing up and didn’t give them the dialogue to carry a low walk to the end.

Advertisement
I'm not having that.

If you didn't bail on Lost at the start of the second season, I've no sympathy for you.

It was clear, when they didn't answer the cliffhanger of season one, that they were making it up as they went along. Hacks.
It was one of the first shows we binge watched. I'm all for walking away once sht goes on a tangent, but sadly, i am married.

Advertisement
Back