Trouble in Gainesville?

Advertisement
For one thing, UM is private. UF is a state school from the South in a city few have ever heard of outside of Florida.

25 years ago Stetson was considered the best law school in FL followed by UM. At least that was the scuttlebutt among those of us considering applying.

Whats next? Dade Community is the best school in Florida if we only count schools that costs less than 120$ per credit and only count schools with enrollment over 90k?

I was not factoring in all these other random pieces of criteria. I am simply telling you which school is better. Just like Stanford is a better school than UM. It is a fact.

From his father:

Advertisement
You're 100% correct on the UM and UF resumes on those NYC jobs. I'm a corporate recruiter with with years of experience recruiting on corporate strategy for a top end management consulting firm. Miami and UF degrees aren't on the same level in regard to those jobs. Extremely picky market for those skill sets.

Bald faced lie.

I worked in M&A in NYC, and also in Private Equity. I now work in Analytics. Neither school fares well in regard to elite jobs. That is a fact. As of 2019, UM now surpasses UF in recruiting. No doubt. We refuse to interview any UF candidates, but do have 2 UM graduates on staff. UM is much more sought after now than UF.

Bald faced lie.

I worked in M&A in NYC, and also in Private Equity. I now work in Analytics. Neither school fares well in regard to elite jobs. That is a fact. As of 2019, UM now surpasses UF in recruiting. No doubt. We refuse to interview any UF candidates, but do have 2 UM graduates on staff. UM is much more sought after now than UF.

Thank you. This is 100% true. I too work in PE in NYC and as I stated above we are obviously not placing guys like Stanford or the Ivys, but we have more than UF without a doubt.

UF is looked at as a joke of a school. I have literally never met a front office PE UF grad.

We have guys on this forum that work in completely different fields trying to say "well forbes has UF higher than UM so that means they will get jobs over UM kids". Or my favorite " the school doesn't matter". That is 100% bs in any competitive field. Their is no doubt a hierarchy. Even within the Ivys, Cambridge, Stanford, etc. Schools like Harvard and Yale are seen as the most elite, whereas schools like Cornell are seen more on the level of Duke than their Ivy peers.

Advertisement
Whats next? Dade Community is the best school in Florida if we only count schools that costs less than 120$ per credit and only count schools with enrollment over 90k?

I was not factoring in all these other random pieces of criteria. I am simply telling you which school is better. Just like Stanford is a better school than UM. It is a fact.
Jesus, why the chip on your shoulder? I'm not arguing that UF is better than UM and never have. I was offering an additional explanation for why UM gets more recognition outside of Florida.

Advertisement
Bald faced lie.

Nonsense. I work for a big for 4 firm. Neither school is specifically targeted.

You start running down MDC, and we're going to have to have a meeting in the Blue Lot.

Nonsense. I work for a big for 4 firm. Neither school is specifically targeted.

Eh, I disagree with this. When I was at EY they heavily recruited both (Atlanta and Tampa offices more UF focused, Miami more UM focused).

In any event, this nonsense is detracting from the beauty that is the rolling river of Gator Tears. May today bring more than yesterday, and may each passing day eclipse the day prior.

Advertisement
Thank you. This is 100% true. I too work in PE in NYC and as I stated above we are obviously not placing guys like Stanford or the Ivys, but we have more than UF without a doubt.

UF is looked at as a joke of a school. I have literally never met a front office PE UF grad.

We have guys on this forum that work in completely different fields trying to say "well forbes has UF higher than UM so that means they will get jobs over UM kids". Or my favorite " the school doesn't matter". That is 100% bs in any competitive field. Their is no doubt a hierarchy. Even within the Ivys, Cambridge, Stanford, etc. Schools like Harvard and Yale are seen as the most elite, whereas schools like Cornell are seen more on the level of Duke than their Ivy peers.

Every once in a while, we get unsolicited resumes for either our PE fund or our long/short Hedge Fund from UF grads.

I have told our HR people, unless the resume shows they discovered the Theory of Everything, trash it.

Every once in a while, we get unsolicited resumes for either our PE fund or our long/short Hedge Fund from UF grads.

I have told our HR people, unless the resume shows they discovered the Theory of Everything, trash it.

What if she is hot though? I think this may be short-sighted. Gators with a *****, however, I fully support placing that resume in the circular file.

Graffiti Junction just a few blocks from Downtown Orlando (Thornton Park)

Love that place. Almost got into a brawl there during the UM-FSU game 2017 season. When langham scored my buddy threw up the U in a bunch of obnoxious FSU fans face and one pushed him. Mind you my friend is 6’3 240 and Buddy was like 5’8”. My friend pushed him back and buddy flew from the bar to where they have the tables seating. It was like 2 vs. 6 so I grabbed my friend and bounced. Best part was after I dragged him outside he looked at me and was like, “Bro WTF, I’ve been training for this day, let’s go smash those MF’s.” I died laughing.

Advertisement
Back