Travon Thomas, '19 DE

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Interesting story here. 6'3, 215, just transferred to Edison mid-spring from Chicago. Was a first-team all-league player there with 15 sacks. His coach in Chicago spoke very highly of his preparation and practice habits. He competed very well at camp today and earned a Paradise invite. Offers from Oregon, Syracuse and FAU with Georgia watching closely.

Intriguing set of tools. I'd like to see how he looks in space. Love the hustle from 3:03-3:30.

Advertisement
Isn't Edison one of the worst teams in Miami?

I don't know but if I'm moving to Miami for my senior year im making sure I'm transferring to one of the Top schools in Miami-Dade.

Central, Southridge, Carol City, Northwestern would be the only ones im looking at.

I don't know but if I'm moving to Miami for my senior year im making sure I'm transferring to one of the Top schools in Miami-Dade.

Central, Southridge, Carol City, Northwestern would be the only ones im looking at.

He's staying with a family member that lives close to Edison. I doubt he knows which teams are "the best" in Dade since he just got here from Chicago a few weeks ago.

Advertisement
He's staying with a family member that lives close to Edison. I doubt he knows which teams are "the best" in Dade since he just got here from Chicago a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry but who doesn't know that. **** his family member should know that

Luke is the head coach there this year. With the new transfer rules, teams can upgrade quickly.

Plays like Vinny Curry. Problem is as a power rusher if he doesn't grow to 270 his effectiveness will be limited. Staff will have to project his frame going forward.

Advertisement
He definitely plays like his hair is on fire. Hard to project position for him from that tape, though

We can only allow so many projects/gems to commit to us in June. I'm all for evaluating and monitoring them but we can't rack up a bunch of guys with potential with limited tape. I hope our staff doesn't have Rousseau syndrome and think they can turn every nobody into a beast. You can take projects when you have depth and can redshirt them.

Plays like Vinny Curry. Problem is as a power rusher if he doesn't grow to 270 his effectiveness will be limited. Staff will have to project his frame going forward.

Well he's forced to be a power rusher because he lines up at DT for his HS team...He obviously doesn't project at DT moving forward.

We can only allow so many projects/gems to commit to us in June. I'm all for evaluating and monitoring them but we can't rack up a bunch of guys with potential with limited tape. I hope our staff doesn't have Rousseau syndrome and think they can turn every nobody into a beast. You can take projects when you have depth and can redshirt them.
Ivins just crystal balled Jarvis Brownlee(unrated) and Jalar Holley to Miami(a 3star .85) we have to many 3 stars yet no one wants to hear it. It’s a problem and it’s not recruiting at an elite level period.
Thing is I like but don’t love the film of both of these prospects but this take is looking at the totality of the whole thing in this class in general. It just seems we are conceding some battles too early and just settling. You can’t build an elite roster doing this. Again the blue chip percentage has to be 50% plus in each class at the minimum

Advertisement
You don't take 3 stars in June. They are making evaluations and believe these kids are Miami caliber.

How many players has Richt signed in his tenure that can not play at Miami?

Polendy
Tre Johnson
Tyreic Martin

Not many is my point.

If you don’t see the discrepancy between last years class and this one then I dont even know what we are discussing. It’s okay for 1 or 2 projects but not 5 plus...

And that’s another thing, I thought Jaden Davis was considered too small? then how is Brownlee a take now and not Davis who isn’t that much bigger. In addition to that Davis is a better corner than Brownlee or damarious good

Last edited:
If you don’t see the discrepancy between last years class and this one then I dont even know what we are discussing. It’s okay for 1 or 2 projects but not 5 plus...

And that’s another thing, I thought Jaden Davis was considered too small? then how is Brownlee a take now and not Davis who isn’t that much bigger. In addition to that Davis is a better corner than Brownlee of damarious good
Jaden Davis is one of the least physical corners there is. That’s the knock on him not his size but that he’s not at all physical. That’s why Brownlee is higher on their board rn. The believe he will blow up his senior year. 247 beliefs he’s extremely underrated. Jalar Holley, however, I disagree with. I don’t think he’s 6’2 and I don’t like his tape at all.

Advertisement
I'm not advocating for taking a bunch of random 3 stars and I'm not speaking specifically to the prospects mentioned in this thread. But, the focus on evaluating and more heavily recruiting some more high upside 3 stars now is directly related to the early signing period. It has changed the recruiting landscape, and the effects of these changes are still manifesting.

The better 3 stars that are somewhat considered plan Bs right now won't all be around waiting for UM to come calling at the 11th hour after seeing what happens with the top target on or near signing day. The schools recruiting these 3 stars as primary targets will do everything they can to lock up the early signature. As a result, that changes how you have to approach it. I'm not sure exactly what the solution is (as it's obviously not just taking a full class of plan B prospects). But, it makes personal early evaluations even more important.

Jaden Davis is one of the least physical corners there is. That’s the knock on him not his size but that he’s not at all physical. That’s why Brownlee is higher on their board rn. The believe he will blow up his senior year. 247 beliefs he’s extremely underrated. Jalar Holley, however, I disagree with. I don’t think he’s 6’2 and I don’t like his tape at all.
We will see man, but I’m just keeping it real. Don’t like this approach we seem to be taking

And that’s another thing, I thought Jaden Davis was considered too small? then how is Brownlee a take now and not Davis who isn’t that much bigger. In addition to that Davis is a better corner than Brownlee or damarious good

A 3* does not automatically equal a "project" ...I see one "project" so far. D.Good...POSSIBLY Munoz.

Advertisement
Back