Transfer Portal watch

I totally get the move. But just imagine one of our best/most promising WRs transferring to our rival, say FSU, right after we beat them in the National Championship.

Strange times. You have to wonder if the transfer portal ends up impacting fan investment and the overall popularity of the CFB product.

I think it will but not enough to notice. College is becoming free agency. If you want to see that juts watch the nfl which is a much better product on the field

Advertisement
I totally get the move. But just imagine one of our best/most promising WRs transferring to our rival, say FSU, right after we beat them in the National Championship.

Strange times. You have to wonder if the transfer portal ends up impacting fan investment and the overall popularity of the CFB product.
These kids are different and all that rival. Loyalty stuff doesn’t hold the weight it use to. It’s all about their benefit

I think it will but not enough to notice. College is becoming free agency. If you want to see that juts watch the nfl which is a much better product on the field
These kids are different and all that rival. Loyalty stuff doesn’t hold the weight it use to. It’s all about their benefit
I hear ya. If I was Burton, I would do the exact same thing. It makes business sense.

But part of the reason college became so popular is because, imo, it felt less commercial/transactional than the NFL. Fans feel an intense loyalty to their team, which spawns some pretty awesome rivalries. That intense loyalty partly, imo, derived from the fact that players were with you when the times were good and when the times were bad. The players and the fans were all part of one family. It's like that phrase: you can't choose your family, you can choose your friends. Players couldn't leave, so fans and players were with each other no matter what.

So when people argue: the transfer portal is beneficial for the players. After some thinking, my response is: yeah definitely on an individual level. And definitely in the short-term. There's no doubt that Burton will likely benefit (Young will make him look much better than Stetson and probably increase his draft stock value).

But is it necessarily beneficial to the players in the long-term? Probably, but we'll see.

If what makes college football special, and therefore financially successful, is the loyalty and passion from fans. And that loyalty and passion is undermined by the transfer portal, then the ultimate product might become less popular. Less popularity equals less money from tv contracts and less donations from boosters. Less money equals less scholarship opportunities, less perks that come with being a D1 football player, and ultimately smaller NIL deals. That all hurts student-athletes.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the next 5-10 years. I don't think much will change, but the transfer portal could end up doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bama taking another kid out the Portal huh...

Funny how that works.
Look at how many of these $EC kids go to other $EC schools (I've seen Baga and L$U to Arky Piggies, Baga to Kentucky). I suppose it comes down to offers and fit, but it's so weird. I can just imagine the first Miami to Florida State transfer (other than Tuten of course). That ****'s gonna **** me off.

I hear ya. If I was Burton, I would do the exact same thing. It makes business sense.

But part of the reason college became so popular is because, imo, it felt less commercial/transactional than the NFL. Fans feel an intense loyalty to their team, which spawns some pretty awesome rivalries. That intense loyalty partly, imo, derived from the fact that players were with you when the times were good and when the times were bad. The players and the fans were all part of one family. It's like that phrase: you can't choose your family, you can choose your friends. Players couldn't leave, so fans and players were with each other no matter what.

So when people argue: the transfer portal is beneficial for the players. After some thinking, my response is: yeah definitely on an individual level. And definitely in the short-term. There's no doubt that Burton will likely benefit (Young will make him look much better than Stetson and probably increase his draft stock value).

But is it necessarily beneficial to the players in the long-term? Probably, but we'll see.

If what makes college football special, and therefore financially successful, is the loyalty and passion from fans. And that loyalty and passion is undermined by the transfer portal, then the ultimate product might become less popular. Less popularity equals less money from tv contracts and less donations from boosters. Less money equals less scholarship opportunities, less perks that come with being a D1 football player, and ultimately smaller NIL deals. That all hurts students.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the next 5-10 years. I don't think much will change, but the transfer portal could end up doing more harm than good.

The first domino to fall was when conference realignment started happening. Traditional rivalries were a big part of the entire aura of college football. The conference maps also spread out with some games being more than a day trip, some even turning into 3 or 4 days of you wanted to attend.

The only conference that's been smart about that was the Big10 / 11. They largely stayed the same with minimal long distance additions.

Advertisement

Game Cheating GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back