Transfer Portal watch

Lincoln Riley was hired 10 ish days before Mario (off the top of my head, might be closer to 12). Before I get negged - They’re not really comparable in the sense that Riley is the de-facto OC and he brought Grinch with him, so he already had his two most important pieces in place. Mario doesn’t.

However, the manner in which Riley has attacked the portal and grabbed a plethora of not only immediate impact players, but absolute studs, is impressive. It’s something I wish Mario stressed more, especially with the glaring holes we have and all this talent readily available.
This is also what I said before with geographical recruiting. When he was at Oklahoma, not really your recruiting hotbed, you go south you have Bama, Texas, A&M, LSU, UF, Miami, you go East you have Clemson, UGA, North Penn State, Ohio State, Mich.

But you go west?? Crickets. Oregon going through a change, Stanford, UCLA or Cal once in a blue moon, Washing State? Utah? Def not the same pedigree.

Now look at the transfers, obviously took some kids from OU, no surprise there, but then Oregon RB, Stanford RB, Colorado CB, Colorado WR, Washington WR, even Taleni is from Kansas State but he is actually from Samoa, its a vast majority of alllll out west kids.

Advertisement
Lincoln Riley was hired 10 ish days before Mario (off the top of my head, might be closer to 12). Before I get negged - They’re not really comparable in the sense that Riley is the de-facto OC and he brought Grinch with him, so he already had his two most important pieces in place. Mario doesn’t.

However, the manner in which Riley has attacked the portal and grabbed a plethora of not only immediate impact players, but absolute studs, is impressive. It’s something I wish Mario stressed more, especially with the glaring holes we have and all this talent readily available.

Personally I think the difference is Mario intends to be here for as long as he coaches IMO. I think he wants to build this for the long haul. Build the roster up right.

Riley, and this is IMO, has one foot in the NFL already. I think he wants to WIN right now, even if he's using a ton of counters and roster spots on one year guys, because he's out soon. This might all rear it's ugly head in a couple of years roster-wise.

Even if all of the above isn't accurate, there is a LONG WAY until fall camp. There are going to be a TON of kids continuing to hit the portal. We certainly need portal help, I just don't think we can judge it until classes start in August. You don't want to be too portal heavy, and you don't want to push too many kids on your roster now into the portal. Being patient has its benefits here. Also we took three already, four with Ladson who we look good for and who is on campus today, with more coming from what I understand. This is another situation where there are things going on behind the scenes.

Again like i stated BEFORE we hired Mario Cristobal.

Recruitiong on the WEST COAST is Easy. There arent any powerhouse programs OTHER than USC and if you wanna give Oregon.

Now you are seeing already though on a small scale what you have to deal with in recruiting where football really matters ...in the south. Sh*t we are fighting n getting picked off by places like Auburn.

If a kid is good on the West Coast..USC is a factor or where there headed. Its why Lincoln Riley ran out there...he knows the Pac 12 is the sh*ttiest conference that he can control and wanted no parts of the sec move.

You guys are slacking. Raiqwon O’Neal hit the portal. 9 starts at LT last year. Big Ten honorable mention.

Advertisement
We’re not that active in the portal but if they wanted DJ James they’ll want Smith.

South Florida kid so it makes sense.. but his position coach is also leaving so it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up and if smith follows him.

Gossip for now as far as I know but I totally expect us to factor in

I get that we're focused on the 2023 Elite weekend event right now, and were working on the 2022 recruits last weekend. And of course there are the coaching hires. ... But you would think we'd have 1 staffer at least engaging these portal kids as they declare to express interest and schedule time to connect. Seems like a miss. I'm not contesting the priorities and am a bigtime Mario fan. Just would have put 1 person on this to spin plates.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Recruitiong on the WEST COAST is Easy. There arent any powerhouse programs OTHER than USC and if you wanna give Oregon.

Now you are seeing already though on a small scale what you have to deal with in recruiting where football really matters ...in the south. Sh*t we are fighting n getting picked off by places like Auburn.

If a kid is good on the West Coast..USC is a factor or where there headed. Its why Lincoln Riley ran out there...he knows the Pac 12 is the sh*ttiest conference that he can control and wanted no parts of the sec move.
Last part nail on the head.

We use to have a Cali pipeline..think Dorsey.

If he keeps improving those numbers he will be able to post on CIS soon
200.gif

@Paranos dates chicks with those numbers. He’s got those numbers up 🤣

Advertisement

100 percent.

For example, I think we should be all over that CB from Ole Miss that just popped in the portal. But I haven't heard a thing.

Need OL, Edge player, LB, CB, and WR.

100 percent.

For example, I think we should be all over that CB from Ole Miss that just popped in the portal. But I haven't heard a thing.

Need OL, Edge player, LB, CB, and WR.
Yu would think the new rb coach and henry parrish could get us a toe in the door with him!!!

Advertisement
We use to have a Cali pipeline..think Dorsey.

I think we should strategically recruit there.

We got Keyshawn Smith from SAN DIEGO...i would focus on a player or two in that area or get an inner city LA kid from Long Beach, Inglewood, etc who wants to escape the area.

Inglewood had a good program this year ive seen...because for some reason Bally Sports aired Cali HS games down here in s.fla every Friday night.

The team with a bunch of prospects is LOS AL. ...and the crazy part is a big homie from my neighborhood in s.fla is there coach on offense. Malachi Nelson and they have like 3-4 wrs that are legit.

Most LA kids want USC...but you can grab some of the scrapsa if need be picking off other pac 12 programs...also i think NOR CAL has some talent int he East Bay but i dont know cali all that well to say where those kids go

Advertisement
Back