Torrance Gibson Breakdown

Oh so NOW its about waiting til he gets on campus. But that's not what Meyer is going to pitch him. Meyer is going to say "We already run a perfect system for you, and its ready for you to step right in".

What are we going to pitch? "WELL, you can come in and compete, and if we think you are good enough, we will tailor the offense to a more read option style, even though we really dont have the OL for that system, but we'll figure it out after you get here". Do I have that about right?

We are talking about RECRUITING HERE, not some hypothetical about how we would use him if we did get him. The fact is we will have taken THREE Qbs in the last 2 years ahead of him. We do NOT run a system that he's a great fit for. Apart from the fact that we are the local school, WHAT advantage does UM have over any other school that would make the kid want to come here? Meyer has been recruiting the kid almost as long as we have. There are going to be other programs with more "hype", better rosters, and better systems for this kid's skill set. I see this as a MAJOR uphill battle, and anyone looking at this objectively SHOULD see it as that. You all keep dreaming with this "state of Miami" b.S. thinking that every kid in So Fla is just dying to come to UM. They arent. Its always been a fight, and it will always be a fight. And with a kid with this much profile, who can be offered earlier playing time, in an offense that fits him better, there is NO reason to think this kid should be an easy pull for UM. If anything, the ONLY reason UM will even be considered is because its the hometown team. IF this kid was from Central Florida or anywhere north of there, UM wouldnt even be in the picture.

Advertisement
I can see the general opinion of fans shifting by saying he's not that good or he should play wr. It's coming from people trying to rationalize the impending loss of Gibson.

This is definitely happening.

Jersey and CAPS are already making up any excuse in the world to justify losing Gibson.

Meanwhile, Jerzey has said he'd rather have Brandon Wimbush like he isn't also a dual-threat quarterback.

LMAO @ "losing" Gibson. Did I miss where he committed to UM? Maybe you can show me where he has even said he was leaning here? Were taking 2 QBs in this class. Gibson is a great athlete, but very raw QB whose best bet of early playing time at QB will be in a Read Option Spread system like OSU, Oregon or Auburn. Anyone with half a brain can see that. But of course you guys want to build the strawman a year in a advance, so you can throw a hissy fit and bash the staff, when the kid decides to do the most obvious thing. Make it seem like it should be a "no brainer" that the kid should be "ours", so you can scream bloody murder when he doesnt come. Even though he's not a natural fit for our offense, has NEVER shown that he's leaning towards, UM, has never been committed here, and is not at a critical position of need for us. Fact is Gibson would be a LUXURY for us. Not a "must get". Not if he's going to stay at QB IMO.

5 star kids in your backyard are never "luxuries." You make every effort to get those kids regardless of who is on roster and what system is being run. Having stockpiles of NFL talent on your second and third team and the competition it created built Miami.

No one said we wont make every effort to recruit him. He's a phenomenal athlete, and I agree, we would love to have him. He's not a "must get", not at the QB position if that is what he is **** bent on playing. And the sky is NOT going to fall if he goes elsewhere, which I fully expect him to do, since from an objective standpoint, there are other programs that are going to sell themselves as a much better fit for him. The fact that UM is the local school, is the ONLY reason he will consider UM. Neither our offensive system, nor our depth chart, will be particularly appealing to this kid. And yet people think that just because he's local, he's going to ignore all that, and should just automatically come here.

This is full circle, full potato type stuff.

I'm afraid that by responding, I may get dumber.

I'm sorry I even opened this thread.

/Its your fault WTH...**** you.

LMAO @ "losing" Gibson. Did I miss where he committed to UM? Maybe you can show me where he has even said he was leaning here? Were taking 2 QBs in this class. Gibson is a great athlete, but very raw QB whose best bet of early playing time at QB will be in a Read Option Spread system like OSU, Oregon or Auburn. Anyone with half a brain can see that. But of course you guys want to build the strawman a year in a advance, so you can throw a hissy fit and bash the staff, when the kid decides to do the most obvious thing. Make it seem like it should be a "no brainer" that the kid should be "ours", so you can scream bloody murder when he doesnt come. Even though he's not a natural fit for our offense, has NEVER shown that he's leaning towards, UM, has never been committed here, and is not at a critical position of need for us. Fact is Gibson would be a LUXURY for us. Not a "must get". Not if he's going to stay at QB IMO.
Lol here we go. So because he was never committed to us means we never had him? That is terrible logic. I guess we didn't lose Sony either by your logic. We didn't lose Dixon either apparently. We've been recruiting him since the 8th grade but if he commits somewhere else it's not our loss? Got it.

And about him not being ready to play early. .. so what? Like you said, we're bringing in two QBs this cycle so we won't need him to play early. He can redshirt and develop his mechanics.

Oh Good. SONY!!! SONY AGAIN!!! GREAT example. Spent 4 years begging this kid to come, and when it matters, he tells us to f*ck off, commits to an OOS school, refuses to even visit the school on an OV, and wont even meet with or talk to our coaches. L M F A O. The "life long Canes fan". And that is at a program that NEEDS running backs. But again, that's all the coaches fault right? No way that other sh*t is going on there behind the scenes right? Clearly our staff was so stupid, they insulted and mistreated this kid, that they have been slobbering all over for FOUR F*CKING years.

This isnt the mid 80s anymore and some of you need to wake up. Every school in America is camped out in So Fla now. Not every kid is just going to come to UM because they grew up cheering for the local school, not when other programs can offer them early playing time, better systems for their skill sets, hype, money, bigger stadiums, and a bunch of other cr@p. 30 years ago, there were a handful of programs that could spend the time and resources scouting So Fla. Now, all it takes is twitter, youtube, email and every coach in the US can evaluate, scout, and recruit a player in So Fla.

Advertisement
I don't understand why anyone is opposed to doing whatever you can to get the most out of your best players. That sort of is the coach's job correct? People are outchea acknowledging that the kid could be an All-American but are like, "Nah, pass. Don't want to give Olsen a sadz." Just out of curiosity, if Paul Johnson was hired to be the Broncos HC but said he was committed to running his triple option with Manning at QB, would that be an intelligent utilization of the talent available or nah?

And furthermore, having a pro-style or spread offense isn't an either/or proposition. Stay with me here, because I am about to blow your mind with this outrageous line of thinking. You ready? Okay here goes, I hope you're sitting down. You can introduce some elements of the spread to your offense, while still retaining an overall pro-style identity. I know, crazy right?

I don't understand why anyone is opposed to doing whatever you can to get the most out of your best players. That sort of is the coach's job correct? People are outchea acknowledging that the kid could be an All-American but are like, "Nah, pass. Don't want to give Olsen a sadz." Just out of curiosity, if Paul Johnson was hired to be the Broncos HC but said he was committed to running his triple option with Manning at QB, would that be an intelligent utilization of the talent available or nah?

And furthermore, having a pro-style or spread offense isn't an either/or proposition. Stay with me here, because I am about to blow your mind with this outrageous line of thinking. You ready? Okay here goes, I hope you're sitting down. You can introduce some elements of the spread to your offense, while still retaining an overall pro-style identity. I know, crazy right?

NO ONE is arguing that here. NO ONE is suggesting we shouldnt recruit the kid, or recruit him hard. The issue here, is between those who think his skills as a QB are not a great fit for us, thus he's probably going to have a learning curve, if he's not willing to change positions, and thus if he decides to go elsewhere, the world is not going to end, and those who think that just because he's from So Fla, that he should be an automatic commit becuase every kid in So Fla just wants to come to UM, unless our idiot coach somehow screws it up. It has nothing to do with the fact that kids will consider a depth chart, the system a particular team plays in, and other factors when making their final decision. The world is going to implode if Gibson doesnt come to UM. And apparently some people even feel we should be changing our entire offense around to lure him in, despite having taken THREE Qbs in the last 2 classes, at least 2 of which, (both Elite 11 QBs) came here as pro style QBs. LMAO.

Trying to have a rational discussion in here is like trying to teach a Labrador Retriver how to speak Mandarin Chinese.

I can see the general opinion of fans shifting by saying he's not that good or he should play wr. It's coming from people trying to rationalize the impending loss of Gibson.

Jersey and CAPS are already making up any excuse in the world to justify losing Gibson.

Meanwhile, Jerzey has said he'd rather have Brandon Wimbush like he isn't also a dual-threat quarterback.

5 star kids in your backyard are never "luxuries." You make every effort to get those kids regardless of who is on roster and what system is being run. Having stockpiles of NFL talent on your second and third team and the competition it created built Miami.

No one said we wont make every effort to recruit him. He's a phenomenal athlete, and I agree, we would love to have him. He's not a "must get", not at the QB position if that is what he is **** bent on playing. And the sky is NOT going to fall if he goes elsewhere, which I fully expect him to do, since from an objective standpoint, there are other programs that are going to sell themselves as a much better fit for him. The fact that UM is the local school, is the ONLY reason he will consider UM. Neither our offensive system, nor our depth chart, will be particularly appealing to this kid. And yet people think that just because he's local, he's going to ignore all that, and should just automatically come here.

By suggesting he's a "luxury," you are suggesting it's excusable/acceptable to watch him go elsewhere. Or, downplaying or tempering your expectations. We're trying to get back to the top and in no way, shape or form is a 5 star kid in your backyard a "luxury." That also suggests that we're set at QB and we're not. Neither Kaaya nor Olsen has taken a single snap. And Williams has yet to start a game here. Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on your word choices, but it's the entirely wrong mindset, IMO.

Advertisement
C4L, what the **** happened TO you? You have/having a nervous breakdown, MANE? Seriously, you probably need a couple months off the board dude. Clear YOUR head. Ya'know what I'm talkin ABOUT???

By suggesting he's a "luxury," you are suggesting it's excusable/acceptable to watch him go elsewhere. Or, downplaying or tempering your expectations. We're trying to get back to the top and in no way, shape or form is a 5 star kid in your backyard a "luxury." That also suggests that we're set at QB and we're not. Neither Kaaya nor Olsen has taken a single snap. And Williams has yet to start a game here. Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on your word choices, but it's the entirely wrong mindset, IMO.

Brother MY word choices are my word choices. Im not suggesting that the staff is going to take that attitude. Its MY opinion that the kid would be a luxury, as a QB anyway, because of his skill set and what I have seen of his mechanics. I think the kid's athleticism is phenomenal, but Im not blown away by his QB skills. If he's going to play early ANYWHERE, its going to be in a Read Option Spread system. And that's not UM. So what are the options? Recruit him hard, which I agree we should do, but also recruit other top QBs who WOULD fit into our system. Or should we sit there and promise this kid we are going to become a Read OPtion Spread offense, just to get him here??? There are going to be other QBs out there. IMO we will probably take ONE QB at most next year. Unless we lose one on the roster now.

I just dont see thing the way some of you do. This kid is a read option QB that is going to be sold very high on Oregon, OSU, Auburn type offense. So why am I going to lose sleep over that type of QB leaving SO Fla? Every year there is another "cant miss" So Fla Qb who the world is going to end if we dont get them. I have been hearing this same argument for decades. I remember when Boldin was going to be the GOAT QB and we should have let him play QB. Then it was Xavier Lee, we should have let him play QB becaue he was the next Vick and we were stupid. Every year there is a Brissett, or a Jeff Godfrey, or a Treon. And all the while we signed kids like Ryan Collins, Kenny Kelly, Derrick Crudup, Marve, Jacory, SteMo, and everyone raved about how we needed more of these Florida/So Fla ballers. Look how they all turned out. I went on record a LONG time ago and said I would NEVER lose sleep again if UM never signed another So Fla QB. And Ive seen NOTHING to change that sentiment. Sure I like Gibson, and would love to have him, but life will go on without him, and in no way do I think he's a "must have" kid as a QB. Not unless we have decided to scrap our current offense and become a Spread Option team.

Guys, NOBODY is saying he is NOT a great player, he's just not a GREAT player for us. Golden is A LOT like Butch in that he BELIEVES in installing HIS system and then going out to find the pieces. He's GOT the blueprint, and now he's JUST shopping for the RIGHT materials at Lowes. Al "Hard Hat" Golden is gonna build this PROGRAM in his image. He might pass BY a shiny new PIECE of granite counter TOP, but if it's NOT apart of HIS floor plan, Al "Hard Hat" Golden isn't GOING to take it.

I'm SURE people wondered WHY we took a skinny KID from California NAMED Ken Dorsey. Well it's BECAUSE he fit our SYSTEM. it's i portent to have a system AND correctly IDENTIFY guys who fit it well. Why DO you think so MANY underrated kids came here and DID well under GOLDEN? Because LIKE Butch he has an EYE for talent, but he PLACES them in a position to succeed. It's ALL because he's building his MACHINE to his specifications. Gibson MIGHT be a nice GOLD sink, but Al HARD hat Golden might not want a SINK. JUST like Butch, maybe he wants a CEREBRAL quarterback like Malik a Rosier to DEVELOP and mold and sand and shape to HIS image of a QB in HIS system. Al The Archeologist a Golden has NO PROBLEMS digging for the gems. Gibson would ALSO bring in a POOR attitude since he's BEEN so good for SO long. We don't NEED anymore ENTITLED players.

Tie your shoes and light the fuse, Golden IS building his machine, but it WONT be with SUPPLIES he doesn't need. Just LIKE Butch Davis, you GOTAA stick to the plan.

Advertisement
Athletes at qb is how you win college football games. Manziel newton winston tebow all runners pocket passers put you at a disadvantage in the new world of college football.

I was about to ask how you typed that so fast, but then...

420.gif

Advertisement
Athletes at qb is how you win college football games. Manziel newton winston tebow all runners pocket passers put you at a disadvantage in the new world of college football.

Yes I remember this argument in the 80s, and the 90s too. I remember when Jamelle Holieway, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch were going to be the "QBs of the Future man". NO BODY can stop the Wishbone.

Yes I remember this argument in the 80s, and the 90s too. I remember when Jamelle Holieway, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch were going to be the "QBs of the Future man". NO BODY can stop the Wishbone.

There's literally 3 championships in that list of QBs and what, 6 "title game" appearances, IIRC. Nice job.

Dude, seriously, if we combined all of your posts, this **** would be longer than the Book of Leviticus. What gives, man? Why spend so much time defending Golden in every single possible thread where a criticism is leveled? You also sound absurd. You argue that SoFla QBs have a bad track record, but you ignore guys like Geno Smith and Teddy Bridgewater, both first rounders from within our backyard. We can ill-afford to allow NFL-bound QBs to leave when our QBs since Dorsey have been flesh-eating herpes.

Brother MY word choices are my word choices. Im not suggesting that the staff is going to take that attitude. Its MY opinion that the kid would be a luxury, as a QB anyway, because of his skill set and what I have seen of his mechanics. I think the kid's athleticism is phenomenal, but Im not blown away by his QB skills. If he's going to play early ANYWHERE, its going to be in a Read Option Spread system. And that's not UM. So what are the options? Recruit him hard, which I agree we should do, but also recruit other top QBs who WOULD fit into our system. Or should we sit there and promise this kid we are going to become a Read OPtion Spread offense, just to get him here??? There are going to be other QBs out there. IMO we will probably take ONE QB at most next year. Unless we lose one on the roster now.

I just dont see thing the way some of you do. This kid is a read option QB that is going to be sold very high on Oregon, OSU, Auburn type offense. So why am I going to lose sleep over that type of QB leaving SO Fla? Every year there is another "cant miss" So Fla Qb who the world is going to end if we dont get them. I have been hearing this same argument for decades. I remember when Boldin was going to be the GOAT QB and we should have let him play QB. Then it was Xavier Lee, we should have let him play QB becaue he was the next Vick and we were stupid. Every year there is a Brissett, or a Jeff Godfrey, or a Treon. And all the while we signed kids like Ryan Collins, Kenny Kelly, Derrick Crudup, Marve, Jacory, SteMo, and everyone raved about how we needed more of these Florida/So Fla ballers. Look how they all turned out. I went on record a LONG time ago and said I would NEVER lose sleep again if UM never signed another So Fla QB. And Ive seen NOTHING to change that sentiment. Sure I like Gibson, and would love to have him, but life will go on without him, and in no way do I think he's a "must have" kid as a QB. Not unless we have decided to scrap our current offense and become a Spread Option team.

Great point. 2 of those 3 qb's won national titles. The other won a Heisman.

Advertisement
Back