Top 5 RB's in the ACC

Mark walton was used primarily as a goal line back in his freshman year in which he received a bulk of his carries which hurts his rushing ypc

You don't think Moss was used as a goal line back? He only had 3 runs over 30 yds his Soph & Jr year with a long of 37. Wasn't like he was a HR hitter.

Walton had 129 runs his Freshman year. No way the bulk were goal line carries. He had plenty of carries in regular situations.

A Miami RB has gotten 50+ carries in a season 50 times in the last 20 years. They averaged under 4.0 4 times. Walton's 3.5 ypc ranks 49th out of 50. Charlie Jones 3.4 ypc was the only one worse.

It was historically bad.

You're right, he's terrible. We should probably just give up on the idea of running the ball and go 5 wide every down.

Oh wait, we don't know what we have at QB.

New plan: give the team the year off and reassess next summer- hopefully by then we'll have somebody who can run the ball a little bit,but until we get rid of MW and his horrible running there's just no way we can win.

Or people could just stop making new threads on a weekly basis hyping Walton. Every time a new source calls Walton the best RB in the ACC, it doesn't need a new thread.

I never say he's terrible. I said he's a solid college RB. If I compare Yearby to Cooper, or Walton to Moss, I think that's accurate but people take it as an insult.

I get it though. It's more fun to go into the season thinking Stephen Morris and Brad Kaaya could be a 1st round pick instead of a late round pick.

You said his YPC was "historically bad", you'll excuse me if I equate that statement with you thinking he's terrible.

Look, I don't think as highly of him as some and there's a very simple reason for that. Walton isn't fun to watch. Obviously it's fun to see him pick up yards and TDs, but he doesn't do much that's exciting which can leave you feeling like he's not that good. The numbers say that until proven otherwise, he's the best back in the ACC. I expect 1100+ yds from him this season, and think he'll be incredibly important to the team's success this year. But he just doesn't wow you like Duke could, and that can leave the false impression that he's not very good.

His YPC was historically bad his Freshman year. Gus getting injured probably forced him into a role he wasn't ready for. He just wasn't good that year, and I feel like people are making excuses for it.

He was better his Soph year. He became the solid back I expected him to be, but not the type of RB that should be getting 200+ carries a year. He still had stretches where he didn't look good. I expect more of the same this year. I'm not expecting another big leap forward this year that some are. He what he is. I don't see the limitations with his style, vision, athleticism improving.

I agree he'll probably get 1,100 yds this year again, because he'll get 200+ carries again. He'll have another up and down year that ends up being solid. He doesn't wow or excite you because football players who are nothing more than solid rarely do.

He will be very important to the team's success, which makes me nervous. He's not talented enough to play as large a role as he's probably going to. We gotta role with what we got, but I'm not going to hype him up just because he's what we got.

I agree he has the best stats of any returning RB in the ACC. I think saying he's "the best returning RB in the ACC" is debateable. And I don't think we'll be saying "He's the best RB in the ACC" in December. Like Walton, Dedrick Mills is also 1st team pre-season All ACC RB partly because of default. There's just not many other RB's to choose from.

Last edited:
Advertisement
[TWEET]889621240498999297[/TWEET]

That 24 yd TD run vs. NC St. is Walton's best run IMO. I'd love to see him do more of that. Makes a one foot diagonal cut towards the LOS, attacks the LOS, takes on tacklers and breaks the tackles.

But his style (on far too many runs) is 2 foot lateral jump cuts. Too much stop & start. He kills his forward momentum, runs laterally too much, and loses too much yardage. He doesn't have the speed or power to explode out of these lateral cuts.

Last edited:
I know we had O-Line issues last year and Walton is a very good back in my opinion but dont tell me about NC State. The game I care most about is FSU. I wanna see Walton run for about 150 and 2TDs against them and I'll be happy

I know we had O-Line issues last year and Walton is a very good back in my opinion but dont tell me about NC State. The game I care most about is FSU. I wanna see Walton run for about 150 and 2TDs against them and I'll be happy
Ncstate had a better run defense than fsu and was top 5 in the country

Advertisement
FSU has better players, it's a much bigger game, and they have stifled our running game for many years. He did great against NCSU, but NCSU isn't FSU for UM regardless of stats.

FSU has better players, it's a much bigger game, and they have stifled our running game for many years. He did great against NCSU, but NCSU isn't FSU for UM regardless of stats.

Not really ncstate dline is just as good if not better

You're really a dumb argumentative fck. FSU talent shyts on NCSU. When FSU decides to play hard, which they almost always do against UM they're a much tougher team to run on than NCSU. You can suck that NCSU DL all you want, but there's more to stopping the run game than a couple good DL.

Advertisement
In 2001, behind one of college football's all time greatest offensive lines, Clinton Portis carried the ball 220 times for 1200 yards. Does anybody think Walton couldn't match those numbers playing on that team, with that line?

In 2001, behind one of college football's all time greatest offensive lines, Clinton Portis carried the ball 220 times for 1200 yards. Does anybody think Walton couldn't match those numbers playing on that team, with that line?

I'm not sure what your point is, but, no, I don't think Walton is as good as Portis. Portis was a special player.

I think Walton will finish this season with 1200 to 1400 yards rushing if he stays healthy. If Homer shows out, then Walton's carries will come down a little and he might wind up with 1100 to 1200 yards.

You're really a dumb argumentative fck. FSU talent shyts on NCSU. When FSU decides to play hard, which they almost always do against UM they're a much tougher team to run on than NCSU. You can suck that NCSU DL all you want, but there's more to stopping the run game than a couple good DL.
Bradley chubb is better than any dlineman fsu has by far
He had 56 tackles 21 tfls 10 sacks on the season
Darian roseboro 11 tfls 7 sacks(didn't even start)
Kentavious street 6'2 280 running a high 4.58 9tfls 5.5 sacks
Just to name a few
Again at they are defintiely as good as fsu on the dline and it's not me just saying it. Media reporters all around the country mention them
Along with clemson, Miami, fsu and Ohio state as having top 5 defensive lines in the country

Last edited:

I'm not sure what your point is, but, no, I don't think Walton is as good as Portis. Portis was a special player.

I think Walton will finish this season with 1200 to 1400 yards rushing if he stays healthy. If Homer shows out, then Walton's carries will come down a little and he might wind up with 1100 to 1200 yards.

Makes no sense
Mark walton only received 48% of the carries last year out of our running backs and still was pretty productive with 1117 yards 14 tds. With yearby and gus gone he will receive even more carries for sure than 48%. I think he has more than 1450 rushing yards this year with increased carries

Advertisement

I agree. I don't think Walton is as good as Portis. At least not yet but if you compare their numbers, the're pretty similar. If anything Walton's sophomore season was better than Portis' but Clinton was backing up James Jackson at the time.

My point is, people are quick to bash Walton for not being good enough but his numbers, behind a terrible line are quite similar to someone we consider an all time great.

I hope this season he puts it all together and we can place him in that echelon of great UM backs.

Makes no sense
Mark walton only received 48% of the carries last year out of our running backs and still was pretty productive with 1117 yards 14 tds. With yearby and gus gone he will receive even more carries for sure than 48%. I think he has more than 1450 rushing yards this year with increased carries

I said he could have up to 1400 yards this year. Then, you counter by saying that makes no sense and proceed to tell me he could get 1450 yards. That 50 yard difference has you confounded?

You have no clue how the backup RB(s) will play. If Homer is stud, then they won't run Walton enough to get 1400 yards. The only way they grind Walton into the ground is if the backup RBs are terrible. Otherwise, Rick and Brown have proven that they like to use 2 or 3 RBs.

This site is funny.

On one hand we've got a RB who had 1200 yards last season but isn't that good.
And on the other hand we've got a 5'8" WR with 3 career catches who is "a stud if we just used him properly".

Gashed one of the top rushing defenses in the country but "he hasn't done it enough against good teams."

NEWS FLASH: No RB puts up big numbers against good teams every week. Good teams stop the run. That's why they're good teams. Yall want him to put up 150 yards versus FSU when our O-linemen can't block their front-7? In what world of football does that happen? This ain't ******* Techmo Bowl.

Advertisement

In a nutshell.

I dont think Walton is in that Edge,McGahee, Portis ,Gore category but he's a solid all-around football player that every team needs abundance of. Honestly, I think he would've been much better suited to the Gary Stevens system that really used the backs in the passing game(where I think Walton is really good) and rotated backs liberally.

He's a solid runner who finishes well and has a lot of athleticism and very acrobatic but I always get the sense there are big plays/yards he leaves on the table with a lack of real vision. But he's also been hampered by relatively poor Oline play upfront.

But I'll roll with #1 all day....

I'm shocked at some of the comments here stating that Walton is overrated and so on. Everyone needs to go back and watch his entire Sophomore campaign last year. If anything, I would say Walton is significantly underrated.

What people need to realize is that Walton is literally developing right in front of our eyes. Look at his freshman year and compare that to last year and it becomes obvious to see. Walton is not a guy that's going to blow you away with his size or speed and he isn't going to electrify you with multiple 65 yard TD runs in one game but this kid is an outstanding, highly productive football player who will only continue to get better.

Walton is a complete back who can bust it inside between the tackles or take it outside with great success. He almost never goes down on initial contact and he makes the most of and finishes his runs. He has excellent receiving skills and has soft, sure hands. Blocking? Blitz pick-up? Yes, Walton does that too. Barring injury, I expect Walton to have a huge year as he takes the next step in his development. I also look for Walton to potentially have a long productive career in the NFL. For the time being however he will serve as the focal point of our offense as we break in a new QB.

Portis had that 360 vision, he could read and anticipate cutback lanes as well as any back Ive seen at UM. Walton simply doesn't have that sixth sense, IMO

Advertisement
Back