Top 5 RB's in the ACC

Walton is the kind of old school back I dream of being recruited every single year. He has heart, he always wants to carry the ball (HE was literally angry that he was not getting the ball in the spring.), he has good speed, can block, can catch the football, has a nose for scoring TDs and most important of all he knows how to protect the darn football and rarely fumbles.

If people want to hate him, go ahead. But I am just going to shake my head and laugh as you do it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Duke had an NFL oline blocking for him in all 3 of his college years....

2012 - Duke 6.8 ypc, Mike James 4.2 ypc
2013 - Duke 6.3 ypc, Dallas Crawford 4.1 ypc
2014 - Duke 6.8 ypc, Joe Yearby 5.9 ypc

2015 - Yearby 4.9 ypc, Walton 3.5 ypc
2016 - Yearby 6.0 ypc, Walton 5.3 ypc

Duke totally outperformed all other RB's behind the same exact line because he was that much better. Walton was outpeformed by Yearby behind the same line.

Duke is in a totally different league than Walton, no matter what line they're playing behind.

Advertisement

Duke totally outperformed all other RB's behind the same exact line because he was that much better. Walton was outpeformed by Yearby behind the same line.

Duke is in a totally different league than Walton, no matter what line they're playing behind.
I agree but your whole theory of Walton not being good is because he don't perform in big time games. Duke didn't either outside of the game he had over 100 yards vs fsu but that's nullified since he tapped to be subbed on the final drive of the game

He's getting all this hype, but I am still not a fan of his running style. No vision---and he is just not anywhere close to an elite back in my opinion. I have seen too many great backs at Miami, to just lower the bar based on hype. I refuse to do it.

I think the dude is waaay overrated....and I write all of this knowing we need him to perform at a high level this season

I agree 100%. The board is hyping him to be a Duke Johnson/Lamar Miller type talent when he's actually more of a Tyrone Moss/Damien Berry level of talent.

He may not be Duke Johnson, but he's a lot better than Tyrone Moss. Get real.

Moss stats before he tore his ACL his Junior year:

Moss - 31 games - 346 att - 1,657 yds - 4.8 ypc - 23 TD's
Walton - 26 games - 338 att - 1,567 yds - 4.6 ypc - 23 TD's

It looks pretty **** close to me. Moss was never the stud he was projected to be, but he had his best games his Junior year, so I'm hoping Walton can do the same.

He's getting all this hype, but I am still not a fan of his running style. No vision---and he is just not anywhere close to an elite back in my opinion. I have seen too many great backs at Miami, to just lower the bar based on hype. I refuse to do it.

I think the dude is waaay overrated....and I write all of this knowing we need him to perform at a high level this season

I agree 100%. The board is hyping him to be a Duke Johnson/Lamar Miller type talent when he's actually more of a Tyrone Moss/Damien Berry level of talent.

He may not be Duke Johnson, but he's a lot better than Tyrone Moss. Get real.

Moss stats before he tore his ACL his Junior year:

Moss - 31 games - 346 att - 1,657 yds - 4.8 ypc - 23 TD's
Walton - 26 games - 338 att - 1,567 yds - 4.6 ypc - 23 TD's

It looks pretty **** close to me. Moss was never the stud he was projected to be, but he had his best games his Junior year, so I'm hoping Walton can do the same.

Mark walton was used primarily as a goal line back in his freshman year in which he received a bulk of his carries which hurts his rushing ypc

Advertisement
Sure hope he lives up to that ranking, if we get his last season's performance this year we're fvcked. He's gotta step up big time cause it's all riding on him.

The Mark Walton hate brigade is out in Full force...

Every one of you clowns will eat your words this season & I better not see one of yall switch up either.

And if Walton doesn't?
If I'll be chastised for rooting for our starting RB, then I'll gladly accept it with honor.

The rest of you carpetbaggers on the other hand, cannot say a ****** word in favor of him, you all better stay on your side of the fence the entire season.

In fact, every big run he has & every TD he scores, the MW Hate Brigrade can't celebrate at all.

You ****** clowns have to sit there in disgust while our team wins & Walton racks up yards, just sit there & wallow in despair because you hope so bad that he doesn't play well.

And every time your boy Scarlett makes a play you can roll over all your Walton hate in celebratory jubilation for the great Gaytor RB.

Just remember as the Captain of the Hate squad, every yard Walton gains is a direct referendum on you & the rest of your crew.

Continue to root against him at every turn all season, when it's all said & done, the only one who will look like a fool is you.

Last edited:

I agree but your whole theory of Walton not being good is because he don't perform in big time games. Duke didn't either outside of the game he had over 100 yards vs fsu but that's nullified since he tapped to be subbed on the final drive of the game

FSU last year - in between the Berrios punt return and Stacey Coley 4th down TD catch, we were 1st down at the FSU 16. Walton ran 3 straight times for 5 yds. Walton had his chance and didn't come through.

Duke had plenty of big games:

2014 - VT 11-100, GT 13-72, Duke 16-176
2015 - GT 22-184, UNC 8-83, FSU - 23-97
2016 - Duke 25-155, GT 14-100, VT 29-249, UNC 19-177, FSU 27-130, Pitt 18-89, South Carolina 24-132

All those were against bowl teams, and doesn't include huge games vs BC & Wake where he basically won the game for us by himself. FYI - I'm including Walton's 11-49 game against Duke in 2015 as 1 of his 4 "good" games, so I'm being generous.

If you think Walton is a stud, that's fine. But you shouldn't try to diminish what Duke did in order to fit that Walton narrative.

Every one of you clowns will eat your words this season & I better not see one of yall switch up either.

And if Walton doesn't?
If I'll be chastised for rooting for our starting RB, then I'll gladly accept it with honor.

The rest of you carpetbaggers on the other hand, cannot say a ****** word in favor of him, you all better stay on your side of the fence the entire season.

In fact, every big run he has & every TD he scores, the MW Hate Brigrade can't celebrate at all.

You ****** clowns have to sit there in disgust while our team wins & Walton racks up yards, just sit there & wallow in despair because you hope so bad that he doesn't play well.

And every time your boy Scarlett makes a play you can roll over all your Walton in celebratory jubilation for the great Gaytor RB.

Just remember as the Captain of the Hate squad, every yard Walton gains is a direct referendum on you & the rest of your crew.

Continue to root against him at every turn all season, when it's all said & done, the only one who will look like a fool is you.

:rickflair2::rickflair2::rickflair2::rickflair2::rickflair2::rickflair2::rickflair2:

Advertisement

And if Walton doesn't?

The rest of you carpetbaggers on the other hand, cannot say a ****in word in favor of him, you all better stay on your side of the fence the entire season.

You ****in clowns have to sit there in disgust while our team wins & Walton racks up yards, just sit there & wallow in despair because you hope so bad that he doesn't play well.

And every time your boy Scarlett makes a play you can roll over all your Walton in celebratory jubilation for the great Gaytor RB.

I'm not rooting against Walton. I want us to win every game. I just think relying heavily on Walton isn't a good way to go about winning games like so many on this board do. This board is just opinions - and I always give my opinions on players & coaches as I see it (which is often times wrong). I hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't see, at all, what you're seeing with Walton. His performance seems so far below the praise he's receiving.

I wanted Yearby to get more carries than Walton last year because I thought he was the better RB and gave us a better chance to win.

Richt loves Walton, I preferred Yearby. Richt put Berrios on PR, I wanted Coley/Elder. Richt put Malcolm Lewis on KR, I wanted Homer/Coley/Elder (anyone else really).

I'm not going to just blindly act like whoever starts for us is a great player. I would've liked to have closed Cook/Michel/Scarlett, but instead we got Yearby/Walton, who are on a lower Tier of talent IMO. I don't want Scarlett to be better than Walton, I just think he is. But I'm not going to go against what I see and say Walton is better just because he's at Miami. I call things as I see them.

If I think Homer is better than Walton, why does that make me less of a Miami fan? If I say Al Golden sucks as a coach, or Lewis sucks as a KR, or Walton sucks as a RB - what's difference?

Last edited:
Remains to be seen. No history of performance against average or better opponents.

Haters will be haters

giphy.gif

We tried leaning on Walton last October and went 1-4.

He's a **** good football player but we're too talented all around to be excessively Walton-centric.

Advertisement
Walton is an elite human, an elite UM guy, an elite teammate, an elite leader by example and a good RB. He's not a guy you build an offense around, but he's a good RB who you can win the ACC with.

If you want to try to put Walton up against the all time greats at UM, he's going to come up short (at least after two seasons) but that doesn't mean he's not a quality back. He does a lot of things well and improved significantly from freshman to sophomore. I wasn't crazy about him going into last year either but he managed to make some play that average backs just don't make. I'll never understand why so many fans dislike out players.

You guys are getting too dramatic. I haven't seen anyone who "hates" Walton. Everyone likes him. Some think he's awesome, and some think he's not elite but still like him on the team.

Advertisement
Back