Top 5 RB's in the ACC

He's getting all this hype, but I am still not a fan of his running style. No vision---and he is just not anywhere close to an elite back in my opinion. I have seen too many great backs at Miami, to just lower the bar based on hype. I refuse to do it.

I think the dude is waaay overrated....and I write all of this knowing we need him to perform at a high level this season

I agree 100%. The board is hyping him to be a Duke Johnson/Lamar Miller type talent when he's actually more of a Tyrone Moss/Damien Berry level of talent.

He may not be Duke Johnson, but he's a lot better than Tyrone Moss. Get real.

Moss stats before he tore his ACL his Junior year:

Moss - 31 games - 346 att - 1,657 yds - 4.8 ypc - 23 TD's
Walton - 26 games - 338 att - 1,567 yds - 4.6 ypc - 23 TD's

It looks pretty **** close to me. Moss was never the stud he was projected to be, but he had his best games his Junior year, so I'm hoping Walton can do the same.

Mark walton was used primarily as a goal line back in his freshman year in which he received a bulk of his carries which hurts his rushing ypc

You don't think Moss was used as a goal line back? He only had 3 runs over 30 yds his Soph & Jr year with a long of 37. Wasn't like he was a HR hitter.

Walton had 129 runs his Freshman year. No way the bulk were goal line carries. He had plenty of carries in regular situations.

A Miami RB has gotten 50+ carries in a season 50 times in the last 20 years. They averaged under 4.0 4 times. Walton's 3.5 ypc ranks 49th out of 50. Charlie Jones 3.4 ypc was the only one worse.

It was historically bad.

Advertisement
Walton was ultra impressive during the spring game. I have also thought his vision is sometimes lacking but he more than makes up for it with his power/physicality and effort. I think he puts the whole package together this year.

If walton looked THAT much better from year 1 to 2, imagine what he'll look like from year 2 to 3...

Not to mention he reclassified. He should technically be going into his true sophomore season right now

Remains to be seen. No history of performance against average or better opponents.

Smork not necessarily wrong on this. I'll give Walton a pass for FSU since his longest run got called back on a horse **** hold.

But if we're gonna win the Coarstal, he's gonna have to have a better 5 game stretch than he did from GT to ND last year.

However, part of that was also on our dog **** OL during that stretch.

But even in some wins he didn't look great. 2.9 avg vs GT and a 3.1 vs WVU? Those aren't exactly heralded defenses.

Walton stats.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Remains to be seen. No history of performance against average or better opponents.

Smork not necessarily wrong on this. I'll give Walton a pass for FSU since his longest run got called back on a horse **** hold.

But if we're gonna win the Coarstal, he's gonna have to have a better 5 game stretch than he did from GT to ND last year.

However, part of that was also on our dog **** OL during that stretch.

But even in some wins he didn't look great. 2.9 avg vs GT and a 3.1 vs WVU? Those aren't exactly heralded defenses.

View attachment 47938

Post saquan Barkley game chart, it will surprise you....

The Mark Walton hate brigade is out in Full force...

Every one of you clowns will eat your words this season & I better not see one of yall switch up either.

And if Walton doesn't?
If I'll be chastised for rooting for our starting RB, then I'll gladly accept it with honor.

The rest of you carpetbaggers on the other hand, cannot say a ****in word in favor of him, you all better stay on your side of the fence the entire season.

In fact, every big run he has & every TD he scores, the MW Hate Brigrade can't celebrate at all.

You ****in clowns have to sit there in disgust while our team wins & Walton racks up yards, just sit there & wallow in despair because you hope so bad that he doesn't play well.

And every time your boy Scarlett makes a play you can roll over all your Walton in celebratory jubilation for the great Gaytor RB.

Just remember as the Captain of the Hate squad, every yard Walton gains is a direct referendum on you & the rest of your crew.

Continue to root against him at every turn all season, when it's all said & done, the only one who will look like a fool is you.

I'm not rooting against Walton. I want us to win every game. I just think relying heavily on Walton isn't a good way to go about winning games like so many on this board do. This board is just opinions - and I always give my opinions on players & coaches as I see it (which is often times wrong). I hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't see, at all, what you're seeing with Walton. His performance seems so far below the praise he's receiving.

I wanted Yearby to get more carries than Walton last year because I thought he was the better RB and gave us a better chance to win.

Richt loves Walton, I preferred Yearby. Richt put Berrios on PR, I wanted Coley/Elder. Richt put Malcolm Lewis on KR, I wanted Homer/Coley/Elder (anyone else really).

I'm not going to just blindly act like whoever starts for us is a great player. I would've liked to have closed Cook/Michel/Scarlett, but instead we got Yearby/Walton, who are on a lower Tier of talent IMO. I don't want Scarlett to be better than Walton, I just think he is. But I'm not going to go against what I see and say Walton is better just because he's at Miami. I call things as I see them.

If I think Homer is better than Walton, why does that make me less of a Miami fan? If I say Al Golden sucks as a coach, or Lewis sucks as a KR, or Walton sucks as a RB - what's difference?
Trust me, if you seen what Walton did at BTW you would become a huge fan. That dude has leadership and that's why CMR talks about him with such high praise. MW would play left tackle for this team if he had to.

The Mark Walton hate brigade is out in Full force...

Every one of you clowns will eat your words this season & I better not see one of yall switch up either.

And if Walton doesn't?
If I'll be chastised for rooting for our starting RB, then I'll gladly accept it with honor.

The rest of you carpetbaggers on the other hand, cannot say a ****in word in favor of him, you all better stay on your side of the fence the entire season.

In fact, every big run he has & every TD he scores, the MW Hate Brigrade can't celebrate at all.

You ****in clowns have to sit there in disgust while our team wins & Walton racks up yards, just sit there & wallow in despair because you hope so bad that he doesn't play well.

And every time your boy Scarlett makes a play you can roll over all your Walton in celebratory jubilation for the great Gaytor RB.

Just remember as the Captain of the Hate squad, every yard Walton gains is a direct referendum on you & the rest of your crew.

Continue to root against him at every turn all season, when it's all said & done, the only one who will look like a fool is you.

I'm not rooting against Walton. I want us to win every game. I just think relying heavily on Walton isn't a good way to go about winning games like so many on this board do. This board is just opinions - and I always give my opinions on players & coaches as I see it (which is often times wrong). I hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't see, at all, what you're seeing with Walton. His performance seems so far below the praise he's receiving.

I wanted Yearby to get more carries than Walton last year because I thought he was the better RB and gave us a better chance to win.

Richt loves Walton, I preferred Yearby. Richt put Berrios on PR, I wanted Coley/Elder. Richt put Malcolm Lewis on KR, I wanted Homer/Coley/Elder (anyone else really).

I'm not going to just blindly act like whoever starts for us is a great player. I would've liked to have closed Cook/Michel/Scarlett, but instead we got Yearby/Walton, who are on a lower Tier of talent IMO. I don't want Scarlett to be better than Walton, I just think he is. But I'm not going to go against what I see and say Walton is better just because he's at Miami. I call things as I see them.

If I think Homer is better than Walton, why does that make me less of a Miami fan? If I say Al Golden sucks as a coach, or Lewis sucks as a KR, or Walton sucks as a RB - what's difference?
Trust me, if you see what Walton did at BTW you would become a huge fan. That dude has leadership and that's why CMR talks about him with such high praise. MW would play left tackle for this team if he had to.

Yeap richt coveted mark walton when he was at uga but Walton ultimately decided to stick with Miami

Advertisement
Waltons best attribute is catching the ball out of the backfield... his hands are elite.. his running is Mike James.. he's a solid back.. I hope he turns the corner this year because we have no one else ... Homer is an athlete but I fear will never be a consistent running back... the most talented RB on our team right now gets hurt more often then when [MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] goes skating...

I'm a big Mark Walton fan and hope he excels this year. While it's always about "W", I hope our offense isn't hindered due to the inexperienced QB play. It was frustrating last year with the numerous 3 and outs.

Advertisement
I agree 100%. The board is hyping him to be a Duke Johnson/Lamar Miller type talent when he's actually more of a Tyrone Moss/Damien Berry level of talent.

It looks pretty **** close to me. Moss was never the stud he was projected to be, but he had his best games his Junior year, so I'm hoping Walton can do the same.

Mark walton was used primarily as a goal line back in his freshman year in which he received a bulk of his carries which hurts his rushing ypc

You don't think Moss was used as a goal line back? He only had 3 runs over 30 yds his Soph & Jr year with a long of 37. Wasn't like he was a HR hitter.

Walton had 129 runs his Freshman year. No way the bulk were goal line carries. He had plenty of carries in regular situations.

A Miami RB has gotten 50+ carries in a season 50 times in the last 20 years. They averaged under 4.0 4 times. Walton's 3.5 ypc ranks 49th out of 50. Charlie Jones 3.4 ypc was the only one worse.

It was historically bad.

You're right, he's terrible. We should probably just give up on the idea of running the ball and go 5 wide every down.

Oh wait, we don't know what we have at QB.

New plan: give the team the year off and reassess next summer- hopefully by then we'll have somebody who can run the ball a little bit,but until we get rid of MW and his horrible running there's just no way we can win.

It was historically bad.

You're right, he's terrible. We should probably just give up on the idea of running the ball and go 5 wide every down.

New plan: give the team the year off and reassess next summer- hopefully by then we'll have somebody who can run the ball a little bit,but until we get rid of MW and his horrible running there's just no way we can win.

Or people could just stop making new threads on a weekly basis hyping Walton. Every time a new source calls Walton the best RB in the ACC, it doesn't need a new thread.

I never say he's terrible. I said he's a solid college RB. If I compare Yearby to Cooper, or Walton to Moss, I think that's accurate but people take it as an insult.

I get it though. It's more fun to go into the season thinking Stephen Morris and Brad Kaaya could be a 1st round pick instead of a late round pick.

Advertisement

It was historically bad.

Or people could just stop making new threads on a weekly basis hyping Walton. Every time a new source calls Walton the best RB in the ACC, it doesn't need a new thread.

I never say he's terrible. I said he's a solid college RB. If I compare Yearby to Cooper, or Walton to Moss, I think that's accurate but people take it as an insult.

I get it though. It's more fun to go into the season thinking Stephen Morris and Brad Kaaya could be a 1st round pick instead of a late round pick.

You said his YPC was "historically bad", you'll excuse me if I equate that statement with you thinking he's terrible.

Look, I don't think as highly of him as some and there's a very simple reason for that. Walton isn't fun to watch. Obviously it's fun to see him pick up yards and TDs, but he doesn't do much that's exciting which can leave you feeling like he's not that good. The numbers say that until proven otherwise, he's the best back in the ACC. I expect 1100+ yds from him this season, and think he'll be incredibly important to the team's success this year. But he just doesn't wow you like Duke could, and that can leave the false impression that he's not very good.

lol at Patrick in that conversation. He'll be replaced as a starter halfway through the season and be buried in the depth chart by season's end.

Advertisement
Back