Top 5 Best & Worst Picks of NFL 1st Rd

I'm literally the only person on this board who likes Jordan Love lol.

Jordyn Brooks was a great pick for Seattle & LA Chargers got a nice steal at LB with Kenneth Murray.

Gladney to Minnesota was a great value pick for them & I think Jalen Reagor to Philly was a nice pick.

Ceedee Lamb IMO is the best WR in the draft, he fits perfect in the Cowboys system with Cooper & Gallop.

Becton to the Jets was a nice pick as well. Kinlaw to the Niners might be the biggest steal in the draft.

Wirfs was a great value pick for the Buccs at 13, he's an OT with top 5 talent.

Arnette in the 1st round was the worst pick IMO, he's a 3rd round talent that got way over drafted because he went to Oh St.

CEH IMO was not a 1st round RB at all, but since KC drafted him I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because Andy Reid & Eric Bieniemy will maximize his potentiality in that offense as a James White style receiving back.

My issue as a GB fan is two fold with Love.

#1. GB just broke the bank in the off season on defenders to make a run with a 36 year old HOF QB. They were 1 game from the SB so to help take the next step you draft a "possible" future starting QB over a dynamic WR/LB that would start and help the team next season???

#2. Love is not very good. He threw 20 TDs/17 INTs in a subpar league. His play regressed badly in 2019. He has a big looping windup, slow release, telegraphs throws and is not accurate on deep balls. He is literally the ANTI-Aaron Rodgers

I give the pick an F-

Advertisement
Evaluate the player, not the laundry.

Individual players are not indicative of school program histories.

(Except for USC at QB... Never draft a USC QB lol.)

Otherwise, just because a school may suck or not typically have great players on either side of the ball doesn't mean that a player from that school can't be great in the league.
IMO they reached. I watched a lot of TT games over the years and he got abused in coverage. He can play the run and thump, but he is not very fluid and gets lost in space. Not a good trait for a 4 year starter in a pass happy NFL. I know they need to replace KJ Wright but this still seems reachy to me.

I give the pick a D+

Arnette is severely underrated... Although they could have traded down, accumulate picks and still get him

Arnette’s problem is he’s a physical DB that doesn’t know when to release after 5 yrds. The highlights showed of him would be considered P.I and holding at the next level. U literally saw the WRs jump up looking for flags. Lol.

He’s a great run supporter; but....this draft highlighted why top rated DBs go to OSU. U know we’re on lean times when TT and TCU have 1st round picks and they’re seasons weren’t chit. Lol

My issue as a GB fan is two fold with Love.

#1. GB just broke the bank in the off season on defenders to make a run with a 36 year old HOF QB. They were 1 game from the SB so to help take the next step you draft a "possible" future starting QB over a dynamic WR/LB that would start and help the team next season???

#2. Love is not very good. He threw 20 TDs/17 INTs in a subpar league. His play regressed badly in 2019. He has a big looping windup, slow release, telegraphs throws and is not accurate on deep balls. He is literally the ANTI-Aaron Rodgers

I give the pick an F-
Love can be very good with work on his lower body mechanics & he actually does not have a big looping winding up, he's a 3 quarters thrower & his release is fairly quick.

He had a Head Coach & OC change plus lost 9 offensive starters after his 2018 season & if you actually watch the tape at least 8 of those INT's weren't on him. His arm talent is terrific & he can make every throw to every part of the field.

Doesn't matter what conference he played in, Carson Wentz, Josh Allen & Mahomes didn't play great comp in college either, the competition argument is the old NFL, in today's league the best QB's come from smaller schools & weren't big time winners in college. The overwhelming majority of QB's that play for P5 playoff contenders end up being busts in the league, with the exception of Deshaun Watson.

I understand why you would hate the pick as a Pack fan because you guys love Aaron Rodgers & could have gotten him more help, but just remember, a lot of yall felt the same way about A-Rodge & never wanted to part ways with Favre.

Love is a lot better than any of yall are willing to give him credit, but eventually it'll make sense why they drafted him when they did.

Love is not nor will never be Rodgers...…. come on man. It was a terrible pick at a terrible time. No other way to slice it as a life long GB fan.

Advertisement
Jordan Love "The ANTI Aaron Rodgers" eval:

Weaknesses
  • Consistency and production took massive step backward in 2019
  • Looping windup part of slower operation time
  • Too much staring and telegraphing
  • Six games with multiple interceptions, including three pick-sixes
  • Below-average decision-making against zone looks
  • Allowed coverage to swarm due to lack of anticipation
  • Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches
  • Completed just 31.8 percent of his deep throws
  • Doesn't slide to safer launch points enough
  • Will void viable pockets at times
  • Needs to use eyes to hold safeties longer
  • Issues bringing in off-target snaps, leading to fumbles

Jordan Love "The ANTI Aaron Rodgers" eval:

Weaknesses
  • Consistency and production took massive step backward in 2019
  • Looping windup part of slower operation time
  • Too much staring and telegraphing
  • Six games with multiple interceptions, including three pick-sixes
  • Below-average decision-making against zone looks
  • Allowed coverage to swarm due to lack of anticipation
  • Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches
  • Completed just 31.8 percent of his deep throws
  • Doesn't slide to safer launch points enough
  • Will void viable pockets at times
  • Needs to use eyes to hold safeties longer
  • Issues bringing in off-target snaps, leading to fumbles

Was he projected as a first rounder? Think Jalen Hurts is better than this feller.

Great picks:
Tua Tagovailoa (Dolphins, #5) - Fins got potentially the best QB in the draft without having to trade up.
Tristan Wirf (Bucs, #13) - Arguably best OT in draft who will start from day 1. Great value pick.
Jerry Jeudy (Broncos, #16) - Probably steal of the draft considering some experts had him going much earlier. Best WR prospect for many

Not-so great picks:
Henry Ruggs (Raiders, #12) - Probably the 3rd best WR in draft, but was first one taken?
AJ Terrell (Falcons, #16) - Over reached here, Terrell would've been available later in the round.
Austin Jackson (Dolphins, #18) - Biggest reach of the draft in my eyes. This guys a project. There was a lot more value on the board at 18.

Advertisement
More takes on Love:

Pro Football Focus, which analyzes every play, believes Love is being overvalued.
“Still more unfilled potential than starting NFL quarterback,” PFF said, noting he’s “top five in big time throws and turnover worthy throws.”

A lot is made of the fact that Love had to adjust to a new coordinator and an almost entirely new offensive cast last season, a year in which he threw 20 touchdowns, 17 picks and completed 61.9 percent of his passes.

But PFF’s Anthony Treash made some great points, including noting the fact he didn’t play better “against a weaker schedule is alarming. There were only two games when Love faced a Power 5 school in 2019, and he failed to impress in either.”
Against Wake Forest in Week 1, Love’s PFF grade was at 54.8 (he went 33 for 48 for 416 yards, three TDs and three picks). Against LSU in Week 6, it was just 44.0 (he went 15 for 30 for 130 yards, no touchdowns and three picks). All in all, Love produced a PFF grade of just 67.5 against teams with a winning record in 2019.
“He has a lot of potential and, as a result, is mostly noted for the positives of his play with little to no mention of all the negatives.”

One issue last season, Treash noted, is “there were an insane number of throws made by Love to his first read that were just head-scratchers.”
NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein said: “His delayed reaction from ‘see it’ to ‘throw it’ when making reads is troubling.”
He was particularly poor on passes such as crosses and slants in which he’s leading the receiver across the field, throwing seven picks on those attempts .Love has produced a turnover-worthy play on 4.7 percent of his plays, which ranked 109th of 136 FBS quarterbacks, per PFF.

There are the two “44 percent” issues with Love that give pause for thought:
No. 1: Love grades out very well when he has targeted a receiver with a step or more of separation. The problem is a high uncatchable rate on passes into tight windows —- a 44 percent rate that’s higher than the other top QB prospects in the past three drafts, per PFF.
No. 2: An alarmingly high 44 percent of Love’s throws when facing heavy pressure have been uncatchable, which PFF says is the worst (highest) amount of any QB taken in the first three rounds during the past four years. Too often, he forces throws in those situations, and he’s fortunate that more than 17 weren’t intercepted.
At least Love shows self-awareness about that shortcoming.

NFL Net’s Daniel Jeremiah said Love’s “decision making was very concerning this [past] season. He forces too many balls into crowds and he doesn’t ever give up on a play — to a fault. His supporting cast isn’t very good, but he still fell into too many bad habits.
“He uses his athletic ability to escape and extend plays, but there are occasions when he fails to climb and reset his feet. Overall, Love is a raw prospect who will need some time to develop.”

The Dolphins are aware of all this, which is why he’s not viewed as a top-five pick. But they also appreciate the physical gifts and like the potential.
Jeremiah said he has “ideal size [6-4], arm strength and athletic ability. He operates in the gun and he’s very fluid and smooth in his setup. He throws from a variety of platforms and arm angles. The ball jumps out of his hand. He is at his best on skinny post drive throws and over the top deep balls. “

The last word to Love: “You watch my film: I make an incredible play then next thing you know, I miss a swing route or checkdown or something like that. Definitely the most important thing to me is being more consistent.”

Watching Reagors film I love the pick , especially over Jefferson. He’s got that Percy explosion and unreal change of direction. Kids catching fades at 5’10-5’11. I’m thrilled with the pick , freakish athlete.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You need another team to trade down. Pretty sure the Lions and the Giants looked to trade down but were offered ****.

I understand that. Nobody knows what happened behind the scenes. I was writing that off the top. Everybody knows day after the draft is for arm chair GM’s.

I'm literally the only person on this board who likes Jordan Love lol.

Jordyn Brooks was a great pick for Seattle & LA Chargers got a nice steal at LB with Kenneth Murray.

Gladney to Minnesota was a great value pick for them & I think Jalen Reagor to Philly was a nice pick.

Ceedee Lamb IMO is the best WR in the draft, he fits perfect in the Cowboys system with Cooper & Gallop.

Becton to the Jets was a nice pick as well. Kinlaw to the Niners might be the biggest steal in the draft.

Wirfs was a great value pick for the Buccs at 13, he's an OT with top 5 talent.

Arnette in the 1st round was the worst pick IMO, he's a 3rd round talent that got way over drafted because he went to Oh St.

CEH IMO was not a 1st round RB at all, but since KC drafted him I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because Andy Reid & Eric Bieniemy will maximize his potentiality in that offense as a James White style receiving back.
Thought the Gladney and Lamb picks were really good for each team.
I still find Becton to be a **** of a risk inside the Top 15.
Wirfs was a straight steal, and wanted the Phins to aggressively make a move for him.
Agree on Arnette, as I've mentioned earlier.

Talk to me about some dudes you're looking out for in R2-3. I posted about it in the main NFL draft selection thread. Draft talk is usually a good discussion with recruitniks. Comments made here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread...-thread-selections-trades.160335/post-4655935

Advertisement
I understand that. Nobody knows what happened behind the scenes. I was writing that off the top. Everybody knows day after the draft is for arm chair GM’s.
For sure, but you cant put that pick at #2 worst, when you have Terrell and Arnette going Top 20, Jordan Love to green bay, CJ Henderson Top 10.
Thomas at #4 aint the best value, but they couldn’t pick at #10. They got one of the 2 best OTs in the draft with Wills.

One issue last season, Treash noted, is “there were an insane number of throws made by Love to his first read that were just head-scratchers.”
NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein said: “His delayed reaction from ‘see it’ to ‘throw it’ when making reads is troubling.”
He was particularly poor on passes such as crosses and slants in which he’s leading the receiver across the field, throwing seven picks on those attempts .Love has produced a turnover-worthy play on 4.7 percent of his plays, which ranked 109th of 136 FBS quarterbacks, per PFF.

No. 2: An alarmingly high 44 percent of Love’s throws when facing heavy pressure have been uncatchable, which PFF says is the worst (highest) amount of any QB taken in the first three rounds during the past four years. Too often, he forces throws in those situations, and he’s fortunate that more than 17 weren’t intercepted.
At least Love shows self-awareness about that shortcoming.

The last word to Love: “You watch my film: I make an incredible play then next thing you know, I miss a swing route or checkdown or something like that. Definitely the most important thing to me is being more consistent.”
This is what I saw from watching him. Some wild cot**** throws weaved into some lasers. I value "processing" and "release" above basically all other traits in a QB. From the video available, he has a lot of work to do in those areas, but lucky for him he doesn't have to play for like 2-3 years.

Advertisement
Back