Top 5 Best & Worst Picks of NFL 1st Rd

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
Besides the top 2 Picks (Burrow, Young) which I think were no brainer selections

Best:

1. Tristan Wirfs - Tampa Bay - 13th
  • Top 5 Talent who has very little downside or question marks. Iowa OL who can protect Tom Brady now, great pick and value.
2. Isaiah Simmons - Arizona - 8th
  • Perfect modern day LB. Need someone who can cover a stud TE or disrupt over the middle passing game, Simmons is the prototype. Speed and Size to play anywhere on the field
3. Jerry Jeudy - Denver - 15th
  • Jeudy feels like a future NFL star IMO. Elite footwork and polished WR skills make him a great get here at 15. Only question is, do the Broncos have a QB who can get him the ball?
4. Cesar Ruiz - New Orleans - 24th
  • Solid interior OL who can develop under an already Veteran OL and help protect Drew Brees as NO tries to chase one more Super Bowl with Brees
5. Isaiah Wilson - Tennessee - 29th
  • Huge Tackle prospect who is a perfect scheme fit with Tennessee heavy run game style. Imagine trying to get around Wilson to then have to take down Derrick Henry. Talk about big boy football. Top 10-15 value at pick 29

Worst:

1. CJ Henderson - Jacksonville - 9th
  • #9 Overall? Guy can't tackle to save his life and is no where near polished as a CB. Good luck having him try to bring down Derrick Henry.
2. Damon Arnette - Las Vegas - 19th
  • Huge reach at #19. Mayock and Gruden still think they work for ESPN?
3. Jalen Reagor - Philadelphia- 21st
  • Got to take take Justin Jefferson at this pick. Way more polished and productive. GM falling in love with speed too much here
4. Noah Igbinoghene - Miami - 30th
  • Seemed like a reach in the 1st round, especially for a team with a lot of needs elsewhere.
5. Henry Ruggs - Las Vegas - 12th
  • I like Ruggs; but with Lamb and Jeudy on the board, you gotta take one of them before Ruggs, right? I see Lamb and Jeudy being surefire stars in the league who are already very polished as receivers

Advertisement
Besides the top 2 Picks (Burrow, Young) which I think were no brainer selections

Best:

• Top 5 Talent who has very little downside or question marks. Iowa OL who can protect Tom Brady now, great pick and value.
  • Perfect modern day LB. Need someone who can cover a stud TE or disrupt over the middle passing game, Simmons is the prototype. Speed and Size to play anywhere on the field
  • Jeudy feels like a future NFL star IMO. Elite footwork and polished WR skills make him a great get here at 15. Only question is, do the Broncos have a QB who can get him the ball?
  • Solid interior OL who can develop under an already Veteran OL and help protect Drew Brees as NO tries to chase one more Super Bowl with Brees
  • Huge Tackle prospect who is a perfect scheme fit with Tennessee heavy run game style. Imagine trying to get around Wilson to then have to take down Derrick Henry. Talk about big boy football. Top 10-15 value at pick 29

Worst:

• #9 Overall? Guy can't tackle to save his life and is no where near polished as a CB. Good luck having him try to bring down Derrick Henry.
  • Got to take take Justin Jefferson at this pick. Way more polished and productive. GM falling in love with speed too much here
  • Seemed like a reach in the 1st round, especially for a team with a lot of needs elsewhere.
  • I like Ruggs; but with Lamb and Jeudy on the board, you gotta take one of them before Ruggs, right? I see Lamb and Jeudy being surefire stars in the league who are already very polished as receivers
Packers drafting Love was brutal and Cleveland getting Wills was huge for them. They need help at OL and I thought they would get him or Andrew Thomas.

Best:

Worst:

Wirfs will bust. All LTs from Iowa do outside of Buluga who i don't think plays LT any more. Just the way it seems to work.

I think Ruggs has a chance because he is VERY FAST with the ball in his hands, not just stop clock fast

Advertisement
Not a fan of the Arnette pick. There were at least 5 corners I preferred over him. It goes against so much of the **** Mayock would say when he was an analyst. He's hit on some good players, but dude seems to panic in drafts.

100% agree on Wilson. That's an absolute homerun for Tennessee and how they play, and will make that run game even more scary

Packers drafting Love was brutal and Cleveland getting Wills was huge for them. They need help at OL and I thought they would get him or Andrew Thomas.

Agree. Love is a risky pick, and Browns def need OL.

Advertisement
Wirfs will bust. All LTs from Iowa do outside of Buluga who i don't think plays LT any more. Just the way it seems to work.

I think Ruggs has a chance because he is VERY FAST with the ball in his hands, not just stop clock fast

Marshall Yanda is an 8 time pro bowler and Brandon Scherff is a 3 time pro bowler. Buluga has been very solid as well. Iowa produces quality OL

Advertisement
Taking CJH that high is nuts. SAme with ARnette. A kid that almost quits his team a year before the draft and is an average to above average athlete at CB is a huge reach that high as well.

I don't like to hate on the player per se.

I like to evaluate strategies in the draft.

Its pretty clear that Jacksonville will continue to stay bad. Replacing malcontent players from a 6-10 season with players like that like 75 cents on the dollar of the players you're replacing seems like a bad move when you legitimately have no real foundation as a franchise.

They had a chance to rebuild the team in a different way. Maybe load up on offense. Give the team a different look and the decided to give the team the same look, the same look at had one playoff appearance in like a decade. This is why they stay bad.

This is why you don't keep the same regime around over and over and over. Give them their shot, when they clearly aren't going anywhere, you get rid of them and try again. Dave Caldwell, Doug Marrone...should have been gone already.

FWIW - I really like K'Lavon Chaisson as a player. Makes me think that the Jaguars should have just taken Kinlaw at 9, and had a really strong DL and made a strength a real strength.

Last edited:
Worst

****Im basing this on value and need, not how good the actual player is or isn’t

1. Jordan Love

They need weapons and have a QB capable of winning a super bowl and instead they draft his replacement who’s 3 years away from being anywhere close to ready. Things could get interesting in GB.

2. Andrew Thomas

Just trade back. I think they could’ve gotten him at 10 if they wanted. Maybe he ends up better than the other guys, but I don’t trust that front office. I would’ve taken Simmons.
Disclaimer: I’m not a scout. IMO this is gonna end up a home run or a “what could have been.” I don’t like that kind of risk at #4

3. Noah Igbinoghene

Could've taken him in the 2nd. Idk how you can spend all that money on corners and then take a project in the first round. They should’ve never traded back and taken another lineman. Maybe they just hated Wilson and Jones, idk. Wish they would’ve tried to trade up to get Wirfs (they might have).

4. Damon Arnette

It’s just a plain reach. He would’ve been there in the second. He is a PI machine.

5. CEH

There’s just no value here to me. Diggs, McKinney, Blacklock, Gross-Matos or however you spell it made more sense. But honestly KC is loaded so they can do whatever they want. Maybe he becomes the next Priest Holmes, who knows.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back