Top 5 Best & Worst Picks of NFL 1st Rd

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not a fan of the Arnette pick. There were at least 5 corners I preferred over him. It goes against so much of the **** Mayock would say when he was an analyst. He's hit on some good players, but dude seems to panic in drafts.

He likes players with an edge. Arnette is a high-energy competitor to the point that it caused issues in the locker room. Ruggs was known as the alpha of the offense.

Jury is out on the players themselves, but I do like the general approach. Draft aggressive players to build an aggressive team.

He likes players with an edge. Arnette is a high-energy competitor to the point that it caused issues in the locker room. Ruggs was known as the alpha of the offense.

Jury is out on the players themselves, but I do like the general approach. Draft aggressive players to build an aggressive team.
That said he was maybe the 4th best WR on his own college team yet the Oakland Raiders took him as the #1 WR in the NFL draft

:ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Advertisement
I don’t like the fit for Ruggs. San Francisco would’ve been awesome for him to feast on PA. They had the best draft with Kinlaw and Aiyuk.
I like their draft a lot. Another stud DL and then another Deebo type WR who can take Jimmy Gs 5 yard check downs 75 yards.

He's going against his own stated belief system on reaching hard for need.

I know you and him love this intangible/theme stuff, but I think it's overdone. It's the stuff used for rationalizations. I don't mind it as a common denominator thing used for good picks (like we draft value first, good players, and require they're all guys who love physical contact), but not as a driving force to wash away bad value. Arnette is simply a shaky pick at 19 (!).

By the way, you know I was am a fan of Ruggs. We're both big fans of former multi-sport stars. I think Ruggs is just scratching the surface of what he can do. That said, I also think he could have gotten him at 18 and I had Jeudy/Lamb rated as better prospects.

Mayock has been questionable. First with Ferrell last year (said that when the pick was made). Now with Arnette. We'll see.

Advertisement
I’m not nearly as big an Aiyuk fan as others. Especially in this year’s ridiculously loaded WR crop. He’s a former 2-star recruit, CC transfer and AZ State produces a lot of busts at WR. I think Mims and Shenault are better.

Worst

****Im basing this on value and need, not how good the actual player is or isn’t

1. Jordan Love

They need weapons and have a QB capable of winning a super bowl and instead they draft his replacement who’s 3 years away from being anywhere close to ready. Things could get interesting in GB.

2. Andrew Thomas

Just trade back. I think they could’ve gotten him at 10 if they wanted. Maybe he ends up better than the other guys, but I don’t trust that front office. I would’ve taken Simmons.
Disclaimer: I’m not a scout. IMO this is gonna end up a home run or a “what could have been.” I don’t like that kind of risk at #4

3. Noah Igbinoghene

Could've taken him in the 2nd. Idk how you can spend all that money on corners and then take a project in the first round. They should’ve never traded back and taken another lineman. Maybe they just hated Wilson and Jones, idk. Wish they would’ve tried to trade up to get Wirfs (they might have).

4. Damon Arnette

It’s just a plain reach. He would’ve been there in the second. He is a PI machine.

5. CEH

There’s just no value here to me. Diggs, McKinney, Blacklock, Gross-Matos or however you spell it made more sense. But honestly KC is loaded so they can do whatever they want. Maybe he becomes the next Priest Holmes, who knows.

1. Don't mind the Love pick, now they are set at the position for a few years and it keeps Rogers ****ed off, which is when he is at his best. I grew up in Green Bay and people said the same **** when they drafted Rogers back in the day.

2. Agree on the trade back in theory, but if you really like the player and can't convince Miami to come up for Tua, just take stay in place and take him. That said, I like Wills better as an OT and Simmons was my favorite player in the class.

3.) I'd have taken Winfield if I was going DB, more versatile. Otherwise, Josh Jones would have been my guy. Need 2 good tackles with a lefty QB, and worst case scenario on Jones, he is a plug and play guard.

4.) I actually don't hate the Arnette pick as much as some others. There was a massive jumble after the Top 2 guys, and I have learned not to doubt OSU corners. Reeks of the Ferrell pick last year though...fell in love with the player and got blinders.

5.) Only defense I can think of for this pick instead of trading back in to the beginning of Round 2 is that you get an extra year of control on a Round 1 contract, right? I would have thought Swift or Dobbins would be the guy but as you said, they're just playing with house money on offense right now. Probably could draft me and I'd be a weapon in that offense.

He was just ahead of the curve on social distancing.

That's the most head-scratching pick of the day.
Yea that and Love. I remember his "attempt" on Dallas on that late td run. That was one of the worst tackling attempts I've ever seen.

Advertisement
I don’t like the fit for Ruggs. San Francisco would’ve been awesome for him to feast on PA. They had the best draft with Kinlaw and Aiyuk.
I agree with all of this. Especially how well San Fran has done. Minnesota has also done a very nice job.

I’m not nearly as big an Aiyuk fan as others. Especially in this year’s ridiculously loaded WR crop. He’s a former 2-star recruit, CC transfer and AZ State produces a lot of busts at WR. I think Mims and Shenault are better.
I like him paired with Deebo, his YAC skill is elite as is Deebo's. If your CBs are not ready to tackle all game SF is gonna punish them. They are a physical team all over and this just increases that. His STs skills will help as well. He needs some polish but he went to the perfect team for his game

Not a fan of the Arnette pick. There were at least 5 corners I preferred over him. It goes against so much of the **** Mayock would say when he was an analyst. He's hit on some good players, but dude seems to panic in drafts.

I wanted the Raiders to take Queen at 19 and with Baltimore taking him pretty much validates my opinion. Ravens don’t miss on linebackers

I know you and him love this intangible/theme stuff, but I think it's overdone. It's the stuff used for rationalizations. I don't mind it as a common denominator thing used for good picks (like we draft value first, good players, and require they're all guys who love physical contact), but not as a driving force to wash away bad value. Arnette is simply a shaky pick at 19 (!).

I just think if you are consistent with drafting a specific personality, the end result will turn out positive. Ferrell was overdrafted, but they got a killer DE in the fourth with Maxx Crosby. And Ferrell will work himself into at least a solid player because of the makeup.

The best way to do it is the Ravens. They only take edgy players, but stick to BPA in terms of value. This gives them a consistent culture and great talent. Oakland is too need-oriented.

Advertisement
Back