Too much offense

I think targeting needs to apply to the ball carrier too. If a ball carrier lowers his helmet before a tackle, offensive targeting should be a call. I see too many ball carriers trying to draw the flag on a legit tackle.

Advertisement
I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?

Nah. This is like complaining about too much cowbell.

It’s been a tumultuous time for the NCAA but Emmert has just been putrid. Something has to be done about the RPO, even his lover Saban hinted at the direction of the game.

****** part is fair weather fans that make up so much of the ratings just want to see points. They don’t get off on elegant safety and defensive end play like people on this board.

It’s because of gambling & fantasy football.

DraftKings.com & all the sports betting sites have influenced sports across all leagues to become more offensive ladened because offense is the easiest metric to measure & gamble on.

More productivity= More bets, More bets= More money.
wow, never even thought about it in this perspective ... great point

Advertisement
It’s because of gambling & fantasy football.

DraftKings.com & all the sports betting sites have influenced sports across all leagues to become more offensive ladened because offense is the easiest metric to measure & gamble on.

More productivity= More bets, More bets= More money.

Respectfully, I think that's ancillary, I don't think any program or coach at any level is primarily concerned with how his team can make more money for the betting community.

To me, the key drivers are rules changes to protect safety. Watching our last NC game vs. Nebraska a week ago, I counted at least a dozen hits by our HoF defenders that would have gotten them ejected for targeting, or at the very least a penalty for hitting a defenseless player. Vilma led with his helmet on virtually every tackle. QBs, WRs, TEs no longer cringe when they throw and catch the ball, at least not like they used to. They're running free.

Secondarily, I think the uptemo, spread, dual-threat schemes have helped, plus the fact the best minds in football gravitate to OC now. But they are able to take a lot more risk and recklessness in their playcalling because they no longer fear their elite playmaker is going to get pounded into the ground. Even the line is significantly safer with the rules related to cutbacks and chop blocking. That has to play into all the screens and downfield blocking we're seeing these days.

Get rid of the Targeting penalty and all balance is restored. WR having a fear of going over the middle no longer exists.

I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

I’ve been *****ing about the illegal man down field bs for years now. You have all these rpo’s with ol 5-7 yards down field. Then throw in all the safety rules. Defenses are completely f’d. You play for fg’s, bend but don’t break.

Every year offensive records are being crushed. Stats don’t lie.

Advertisement
Get rid of the Targeting penalty and all balance is restored. WR having a fear of going over the middle no longer exists.
Defending the middle of the field died a long time ago. In the nfl and college. Steve young was like “ is completed 80% of my passes in this game” lol. No threat of being separated from the ball and defenders scared get kicked out of the game.

I completely stopped watching professional football and basketball for that reason. It’s not fun watching a seven on seven tournament disguised as tackle football. Very real and it’s ruining the game. It’s the instant gratification culture finding it’s way into athletics.
Bingo.

The NBA is comical, it’s easily the worst. I don’t even know what I’m watching anymore, I’m like when did Fiba come over here? Lol.

Saban was loudest opponent, saw that it was pointless and then said if you cant beat em join em.. And just had some prolific offenses the last couple years.. ADAPT OR DIE..

I’ve been *****ing about the illegal man down field bs for years now. You have all these rpo’s with ol 5-7 yards down field. Then throw in all the safety rules. Defenses are completely f’d. You play for fg’s, bend but don’t break.

Every year offensive records are being crushed. Stats don’t lie.
I agree for the most part. Im actually cool with most of the changes leading to more offense, but they need better officials.

The lineman 5 yards down the field should be an easy call and one that equalizes the defense a bit. They need to call that everytime it happens. Also, offensive pass interference on push offs and pick plays need to be called more consistently. Same thing with targeting. If a ball carrier is going to lower their head to initiate contact, they need to be flagged also. These are calls that would help defenses but are almost never called.

Lastly, we have too many bad officials across all sports. It's crazy. At some point, leagues will have to allow officials watching the game to overrule some of these calls.

Advertisement
rpo has changed the game, but one rule that has to be enforced is illegal lineman downfield ... literally gives the defense no edge at all
THIS....similar to how a few years ago blindside blocks/crack blocks (especially on Punt Returns or INT returns as that's where you see the biggest hits) was made a huge emphasis to call it every time....this lineman down field on RPO has got to called EVERY SINGLE TIME, I know every org has it "keys" that they teach refs to look for, but those first two steps or about 1 yard and a half should your indicator as the umpire and once that ball is thrown that needs to become the Umpire's next responsibility, see if any lineman are past that 1 yard-ish mark and if so THROW THE FLAG. Because if coaches, I'm talking from Pop Warner to the NFL, don't see the flags being thrown consistently they're going to literally TEACH THEIR O-LINE to step up as much as possible to draw those LBs in which UNEQUIVOCALLY gives an advantage to the OFF.

Back when I was growing up all you had to do was watch the ol and it would tell you everything. Now you have guards pulling away from the zone read action, guards pulling on pass plays. What Riley has morphed his offense into is straight madness.

Respectfully, I think that's ancillary, I don't think any program or coach at any level is primarily concerned with how his team can make more money for the betting community.

To me, the key drivers are rules changes to protect safety. Watching our last NC game vs. Nebraska a week ago, I counted at least a dozen hits by our HoF defenders that would have gotten them ejected for targeting, or at the very least a penalty for hitting a defenseless player. Vilma led with his helmet on virtually every tackle. QBs, WRs, TEs no longer cringe when they throw and catch the ball, at least not like they used to. They're running free.

Secondarily, I think the uptemo, spread, dual-threat schemes have helped, plus the fact the best minds in football gravitate to OC now. But they are able to take a lot more risk and recklessness in their playcalling because they no longer fear their elite playmaker is going to get pounded into the ground. Even the line is significantly safer with the rules related to cutbacks and chop blocking. That has to play into all the screens and downfield blocking we're seeing these days.
It has nothing to do with programs or coaches, it’s about the people who set the rules.

My point had nothing to do with coaches or players, it’s about the leagues & the people who are in charge of the rules NFL, NBA, NCAA, etc the rule changing is to make the game more appealing for viewership & to drive gambling, it comes from the people who make the most money off the product.

You’re looking at it from a Micro level, I was speaking from a Macro point of view. What makes the NFL the most money is more betting, how do you get more betting? With more offense, hence change the rules to benefit the offense. “Safety” is just an excuse, trust me, no one at the top actually cares about the players safety lol.

Advertisement
I think targeting needs to apply to the ball carrier too. If a ball carrier lowers his helmet before a tackle, offensive targeting should be a call. I see too many ball carriers trying to draw the flag on a legit tackle.
One of my pet peeves about targeting. Offensive players get away with it. Since the targeting rule came into being I have only saw it called once on an offensive player

They need to enforce the illegal man downfield and allow it to be a reviewable play. It would be rough at first with all the challenges but the point would get across as plays start to get called back again and again.

I do not think LCE was insinuating that coaches/programs are concerning themselves with the betting community when deciding on an offensive scheme/philosophy or calling plays. But I do believe the organizational bodies (NCAA and NFL) making these rules are. And then smart coaches show up, review the rule changes, and develop/alter/implement schemes to take advantage of the rule changes. That's the natural progression.

Player safety is certainly a big factor, though. Once upon a time in football, the short and intermediate MOF was a place dominated by the most violent and vicious dudes on your defense. It was a place where hard messages were sent. Now the consequences of making tackles that would have been cheered and met on the sidelines with an "attaboy" even 10 years ago are penalized with draconian sanctions (again forcing players and coaches to adapt).

When they changed the illegal man downfield rule from 1 yard to 3 yards a few years ago, it was a clear sign that a desire for more offense and increased scoring was the culprit. After all, letting OL get further downfield and start blocking much smaller DBs and LBs before the ball is in the air isn't doing anything for the safety of those defensive players. And I have seen way too many games the last two years where that 3 yards seems like it's being extended to about 5 yards by the referees on the field.

DMoney, I've been on this for some time but all my under 40 relatives look at me like I'm from Pluto, which either is or isn't a planet anymore. Candidly, I think the game has become boring. College games more likely to be 4 hours than 3. Best job in America is to be the guys in the studio at 3pm who do the highlights after the noon game and before the 330 games. They are NEVER on. Easy money.

The o line needs to be no more than a yard or two upfield on any pass play. Dbs need to be able to contest routes. College is actually worse than the NFL now because almost no college teams have enough quality on the back end to defend the spread. NFL has a chance to get the talent to at least slow down offenses.

If you like 56-49 this is the football era for you. I don't.

Advertisement
Back