Too much offense

I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?
These prolific offenses bring in revenue. So I guess it’s a money thing for the league. But you’re statement is 100% fact and I can’t disagree with you.

Advertisement
I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

I get that targeting is for "health and safety" of the players, but QBs now have no consequence of throwing a suicide pass, free yards or they let him catch it. It's basically touch football now

It's been trending this way for years. It's happening all over sports. You can't play elite defense in the NFL either. NBA scoring is at all time high. I believe every team averaged at least 100 points last year. Baseball is even jumping in by playing with juiced baseballs alllowing more home runs now than during the steroid era. Even in hockey, fighting is at all time low but their scoring is at all time high. Not only have they taken the contact out of sports, their answer is now is just allow as many points as possible to keep people interested.

Hard to watch

Advertisement
rpo has changed the game, but one rule that has to be enforced is illegal lineman downfield ... literally gives the defense no edge at all

If they start enforcing the lineman downfield it will shave 14pts at least off of final scores easy. I’m all for it. Offenses will adapt. Targeting needs to stay for safety reasons.

Go Canes!

The game of football had to evolve to survive. The amount of litigation by former NFL players has really mounted over the years. Many of those lawsuits pertain to concussions. It is the reason only one insurance company will provide coverage to the NFL...only one. The NFL is literally one insurance underwriter away from being completely out of business. The rule changes that have led to the NFL and CFB becoming more like flag football are all related to that (as well as concern over the health of the players). I highly doubt we'll ever reverse course. Without insurance coverage, there would be no NFL as the concussion liabilities and other injury-related claims would be too great.

Big hits and momentum-changing kick returns were some of the most exciting parts of the game. Unfortunately, they are never coming back.

I recall an interview Ray Lewis gave just a year or two before he retired. He said defense was by far the harder position to play because you're not given anything, and all advantages have been stripped and given to the offense.

Advertisement
DEFENSES SEEM LIKE THEY ARE FORCED TO PLAY REACTIVE AS OPPOSED TO BACK IN THE DAY WHEN WE HAD 5-6 GUYS IN THE BACKFIELD EXCHANGING PLEASANTRIES WITH THE QB & HB’s ONCE THE BALL WAS SNAPPED....

Imma just say this; Hockey Players & Pro Wrestlers get smoked all the time. Ppl forget that just b/c pro wrestling has scripted outcomes, don’t mean these guys ain’t getting their bell rung over & over & over again for 4/5 of the yr. Yet, I don’t see any fan saying “pls stop the cross check or no more table & ladder matches.”

NFL is easy prey; football in general is easy prey.

Advertisement
Imma just say this; Hockey Players & Pro Wrestlers get smoked all the time. Ppl forget that just b/c pro wrestling has scripted outcomes, don’t mean these guys ain’t getting their bell rung over & over & over again for 4/5 of the yr. Yet, I don’t see any fan saying “pls stop the cross check or no more table & ladder matches.”

Because the NFL is still a huge cash cow even with less big hits. Hockey barely draws outside of a few markets and the NHL would probably go out of business if they outlawed hitting. (They have toned down a lot of the stuff that used to be considered legal over the last ten years). Pro wrestling is a total **** show where promoters literally work their employees to death. You notice that most retired wrestlers rarely make it past their 60’s? The combination of head shots, steroids and pain killers make sure of that.

For the same reason the nba forced its players to clean up they image with dress code and all that other bs..gotta think who the audience is and WHO the players are...

Advertisement
Because the NFL is still a huge cash cow even with less big hits. Hockey barely draws outside of a few markets and the NHL would probably go out of business if they outlawed hitting. (They have toned down a lot of the stuff that used to be considered legal over the last ten years). Pro wrestling is a total **** show where promoters literally work their employees to death. You notice that most retired wrestlers rarely make it past their 60’s? The combination of head shots, steroids and pain killers make sure of that.

Exactly. Yet, no one is up in arms bout that. Or how bout all the rage incidents behind the scenes; is anyone linking that to CTE?

That's a really good point about Wrestling.... And to boot Vince won't supply any form of insurance .. guys and girls have to fend for themselves for the most part.... No union to watch their back...

The game of football had to evolve to survive. The amount of litigation by former NFL players has really mounted over the years. Many of those lawsuits pertain to concussions. It is the reason only one insurance company will provide coverage to the NFL...only one. The NFL is literally one insurance underwriter away from being completely out of business. The rule changes that have led to the NFL and CFB becoming more like flag football are all related to that (as well as concern over the health of the players). I highly doubt we'll ever reverse course. Without insurance coverage, there would be no NFL as the concussion liabilities and other injury-related claims would be too great.

Big hits and momentum-changing kick returns were some of the most exciting parts of the game. Unfortunately, they are never coming back.
I think that in another generation CFB and NFL will evolve into a hybrid flag/tackle situation. In Texas they have a youth league called Extreme Flag Football that both of my children have played. It's predominantly flag football with some limited tackling. Players wear helmets and pads.

That's where the sport will eventually transition to.

Exactly. Yet, no one is up in arms bout that. Or how bout all the rage incidents behind the scenes; is anyone linking that to CTE?
It's kind of a lagging indicator.

The wrestlers of the 1980s had to deal with an absurdly arduous road schedule - sometimes on the road for 30 day stretches. The workstyle itself was far more limited, but the rings themselves were harder. Almost everyone was on steroids and hard drugs were being used by several.

The wrestlers of the 1990s had a somewhat less grueling road schedule. WWE cut back from 3 touring groups to as few as 1, and wrestlers went to a Fri - Mon work schedule for the most part. Steroids were out for most of the decade, but came back in force by 1998. The work style became much more physical, and by the end of the decade chair shots were frequently seen.

For the performers who went through both decades, it was catastrophic on their health.

The schedule is less demanding now, and the company is fairly strict with its Wellness Policy. Chair shots have been banned for over a decade. However we'll have to wait another couple of decades to see if the performers of the 2010s end up in better shape than their earlier counterparts.

Advertisement
Back