Tom Herman to FAU

Advertisement
Miami is going to be one of the top jobs in 2-3 years after Mario stacks it with talent. Whether or not Mario will reap the benefits of that remains to be seen but guys like Herman will be :sideeyes:
Be real. Mario isn't going anywhere. So many who jumped on the band wagon when he was hired have now jumped off and picked up a pitch fork.

His resume stands on it's own. Two conference championship games and a conference title.

Mario is a program builder. This is exactly what we need.

I've never seen Sabin or Smart call a single offensive play. The season was a disappointment, but we as fans had too high of expectation for year 1.

I'll leave my judgement of Mario until after year 3.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't see that happening and it just kills me that people are talking in this manner. Zero faith.

I am not predicting it and i am **** sure not wanting it but yes i lack faith in him. That can change. I am looking for it to change. It starts with these next hires.

I don't see that happening and it just kills me that people are talking in this manner. Zero faith.
hes not getting fired. they'll excuse the losses bc the schedule toughens up the next 2 years. the big money is all in on Mario and they'll give hm 6-7 years imo

Advertisement
Herman's background as a HC prior to FAU blows away Kiffin's background as a shady HC prior to FAU.

Doesn’t blow away Kiffin running Alabama’s offense while Herman hangs his hat on taking Sumlin’s team over at Houston.

Speaking of blowing things away, Herman reportedly did all the blow in Austin and swung with his wife, leading to his Texas demise—so sounds to me like dude took a lay up of a South Florida coaching gig to make a few millions a year in a tax-free state at a school with zero expectations for a guy with a solid offensive mind.

Talk about a big fish in a little pond move.

Doesn’t blow away Kiffin running Alabama’s offense while Herman hangs his hat on taking Sumlin’s team over at Houston.

Speaking of blowing things away, Herman reportedly did all the blow in Austin and swung with his wife, leading to his Texas demise—so sounds to me like dude took a lay up of a South Florida coaching gig to make a few millions a year in a tax-free state at a school with zero expectations for a guy with a solid offensive mind.

Talk about a big fish in a little pond move.
Yeah I agree it is a strange move for a guy with a strong d1 hc background and oc play calling experience. Plus I’m sure he’s been getting more nfl contacts recently.

Maybe he’s waiting for the Miami job in 8 years :)

I've never seen Sabin or Smart call a single offensive play. The season was a disappointment, but we as fans had too high of expectation for year 1.

Not that I’m disagreeing with your post but Saban has DC experience in college and the NFL and Smart was his DC. Mario has zero coordinator experience outside of the co-OC title he had at Oregon under Taggart. He’s a lifetime OL/TE coach. So while Smart and Saban have never called an offense, they have called defenses. It’s why coordinator hires are the most important off season moves for Miami. Even more important than adding more guys to the list of commits.

Not that I’m disagreeing with your post but Saban has DC experience in college and the NFL and Smart was his DC. Mario has zero coordinator experience outside of the co-OC title he had at Oregon under Taggart. He’s a lifetime OL/TE coach. So while Smart and Saban have never called an offense, they have called defenses. It’s why coordinator hires are the most important off season moves for Miami. Even more important than adding more guys to the list of commits..
I specifically said offense. I said offense because so many complain that Mario has never been an OC suggesting Miami would have been better off hiring Kiffin.

Granted Mario has not held an OC or DC job, the major problem is the offense. Alabama and Georgia have head coaches who have never been OC's and their teams are at the top in offensive categories. The Arkansas coach is an OL coach who has his team playing well.

People look at our deficiencies and point to any successful coach who specializes in our weakest area as "the guy we should have hired."

One thing I am sure of is that Mario will build the best offensive line in the country. NO OC will be able to claim that accolade. After watching Utah and Michigan, I see the vision that Mario has. Both of those teams are run first teams. They are balanced, but want to wear teams down with the running game and close them out in the 4th quarter the way each team did for their conference championship crown.

Ironically, the offensive line is the one position of the greatest offensive need. Without a good/great offensive line, even a great OC and QB can look average.

Advertisement
Herman was the OC for Urban in OSU the year they won the NC with a true freshman qb. Dude can coach offense.

Be real. Mario isn't going anywhere. So many who jumped on the band wagon when he was hired have now jumped off and picked up a pitch fork.

His resume stands on it's own. Two conference championship games and a conference title.

Mario is a program builder. This is exactly what we need.

smart was the defensive play caller for the tide. what?

I specifically said offense. I said offense because so many complain that Mario has never been an OC suggesting Miami would have been better off hiring Kiffin.

Granted Mario has not held an OC or DC job, the major problem is the offense. Alabama and Georgia have head coaches who have never been OC's and their teams are at the top in offensive categories. The Arkansas coach is an OL coach who has his team playing well.

People look at our deficiencies and point to any successful coach who specializes in our weakest area as "the guy we should have hired."

One thing I am sure of is that Mario will build the best offensive line in the country. NO OC will be able to claim that accolade. After watching Utah and Michigan, I see the vision that Mario has. Both of those teams are run first teams. They are balanced, but want to wear teams down with the running game and close them out in the 4th quarter the way each team did for their conference championship crown.

Ironically, the offensive line is the one position of the greatest offensive need. Without a good/great offensive line, even a great OC and QB can look average.
defense is a problem too

Advertisement
If true, bad call. His name as oc would be bring a wr1 in the portal and the pieces are there offensively now for a dominant offense in the acc 23 season
Bad call by who? Looking at Herman's contract, he probably would have made more as the OC of Miami (if he was offered/had signed), but the man probably has enough money and maybe he prefers to be the one running the ship. I can't knock the man if that is the case.

Advertisement
Back