Tom Herman to FAU

Advertisement
The scho
Should the school not be called out or held accountable for the last 20 years?

Have you seen and heard how this admit has gon about the hiring processes? Am I living in the matrix?
The school should absolutely be accountable. Certainly no free passes gave out by me. But I'm curious what people think the hiring process has been. Factually speaking I can tell you one of the top firms was hired for consulting and conducting interviews and compiling candidates each and every time EXCEPT with onion and with Mandy when you speak on the last twenty years. Obviously they were gave parameters for their search & THATS where accountability needs to come in. Because there's never been any reason to have the restrictions we've had towards budget etc BEYOND THE SIMPLE FACT SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN A PRIORITY TO US. People forget alfraud was considered one of the hottest names in coaching when we hired him. We just got stuck with no dnofrio based on his friendships and our salary restrictions. Hindsight makes me wonder if he still brings along no d and simply pays him more. But is what it is. Richt wasn't a bad hire at all. It was actually a pretty good one. His health was issue there. Mandy was the first time we ever approached it like that and I know the story behind it. Honestly it showed why you can't have so many individuals with loose ties to the school sitting on your board. Their individual businesses became the priority over the school. But if you think we didn't have a good process bringing in Mario who was unquestionably the best hire we could come across and one of the hottest names that's not something I would agree with. The way he chooses to go about his searches I think you guys have a belief that honestly put simply isn't factual. He moves in a VERY small circle and the people that need to be involved ARE. Any one else it's not necessary and it's misdirection so he can figure out who the people are long term that he can trust. I see no issue in that. His priority isn't appeasing the fanbase. It's brining in names he feels make us a better product and he's done that.

My issue with your comment was solely based upon the fau thing. #1 all they do with their process is target bigger ticket names getting pushed out of power 5 football and give them the opportunity to recruit the demographic down here that didn't take school seriously so that they can prove themselves in 2 to 3 years and become p5 worthy again. It's not rocket science and like in instances with taggart people can prove to be wash outs too. What worked here beyond kiffin who was only here because he proved to be unstable and too much of a liability for big schools. He needed to prove that he could take his ego out of it and just coach. He did that. But that's not some amazing feat.

You know the deal when you are sitting in a big *** office and you have to laugh because of some stupid **** on your phone, but you can't laugh out loud because everyone gets curious why you are laughing?

Yep. Me right now. My ribs...
My work here is done for today. Logging off.

The scho

The school should absolutely be accountable. Certainly no free passes gave out by me. But I'm curious what people think the hiring process has been. Factually speaking I can tell you one of the top firms was hired for consulting and conducting interviews and compiling candidates each and every time EXCEPT with onion and with Mandy when you speak on the last twenty years. Obviously they were gave parameters for their search & THATS where accountability needs to come in. Because there's never been any reason to have the restrictions we've had towards budget etc BEYOND THE SIMPLE FACT SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN A PRIORITY TO US. People forget alfraud was considered one of the hottest names in coaching when we hired him. We just got stuck with no dnofrio based on his friendships and our salary restrictions. Hindsight makes me wonder if he still brings along no d and simply pays him more. But is what it is. Richt wasn't a bad hire at all. It was actually a pretty good one. His health was issue there. Mandy was the first time we ever approached it like that and I know the story behind it. Honestly it showed why you can't have so many individuals with loose ties to the school sitting on your board. Their individual businesses became the priority over the school. But if you think we didn't have a good process bringing in Mario who was unquestionably the best hire we could come across and one of the hottest names that's not something I would agree with. The way he chooses to go about his searches I think you guys have a belief that honestly put simply isn't factual. He moves in a VERY small circle and the people that need to be involved ARE. Any one else it's not necessary and it's misdirection so he can figure out who the people are long term that he can trust. I see no issue in that. His priority isn't appeasing the fanbase. It's brining in names he feels make us a better product and he's done that.

My issue with your comment was solely based upon the fau thing. #1 all they do with their process is target bigger ticket names getting pushed out of power 5 football and give them the opportunity to recruit the demographic down here that didn't take school seriously so that they can prove themselves in 2 to 3 years and become p5 worthy again. It's not rocket science and like in instances with taggart people can prove to be wash outs too. What worked here beyond kiffin who was only here because he proved to be unstable and too much of a liability for big schools. He needed to prove that he could take his ego out of it and just coach. He did that. But that's not some amazing feat.
Not saying this is what you’re talking about specifically, but has Korn Ferry ever nailed a coaching hire as a consulting firm? I feel much more comfortable with the leadership that has been brought in over the past two years that we can conduct thorough searches without external help.

Advertisement
Not saying this is what you’re talking about specifically, but has Korn Ferry ever nailed a coaching hire as a consulting firm? I feel much more comfortable with the leadership that has been brought in over the past two years that we can conduct thorough searches without external help.

I'm no expert in this, but I think their main function is communicating about the position with coaches through their agents when the school is not able to due to the current coach still being employed

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face.

Worked and consulted for a very large humor website and apparel brand in Austin from 2015 through 2021 and got to know some very-in-the-know people.

Heard all the stories about Tom Herman; dude and his wife party balls. No one was shocked it didn't work out with the Longhorns. Football was the last thing on his mind.

Culturally this guy is the furthest thing from a fit on Mario Cristobal's staff—and Miami as a playground seems like an absolutely danger zone for this guy, with his penchant for getting down.

This guy in Boca Raton, at a smaller school with lower expectations—wheels off for this cat in South Florida over next few years. Book it.
There is likely plenty of temptation in Boca. Lots of pretty people with too much money. It certainly isn’t Iowa or Nebraska. If he can’t stay out of trouble, Boca isn’t the best spot either.

I'm no expert in this, but I think their main function is communicating about the position with coaches through their agents when the school is not able to due to the current coach still being employed
They are definitely leveraged for liability reasons but they also wield significant power in those searches in narrowing down finalists and even making the final selection.

Advertisement
I agree. Thing with them is they're more geared towards fortune 500 companies than they are teams. Atleast that's my opinion.

💀 these coaches do anything to recruit
1692535223510.png

Advertisement
Bad call by who? Looking at Herman's contract, he probably would have made more as the OC of Miami (if he was offered/had signed), but the man probably has enough money and maybe he prefers to be the one running the ship. I can't knock the man if that is the case.
Maybe his buyout has a clause for reduced payout if he takes a D1P3 HC/OC position?

Dunno...

Advertisement
I thought he was a can’t miss coaching prospect when he got to Texas.
I thought he was a can’t miss coaching prospect when he got to Texas.
He didn’t do badly at Texas. Herman was a substantial upgrade over Charlie Strong. A couple of factors contributed to his downfall.

1) In 2018 people felt that Texas had turned the corner. There were high hopes heading into 2019 (see FSU, now). They lost - very narrowly - their second game to LSU in what would be the eventual national champion’s toughest test. Injuries and poor defense cost them 4 more games. That caused people in Austin to reassess.

2) In 2020 he only lost 3 games - all one score games - and the primary culprit was a poor defense. Not talked about as much was the controversy over the Eyes of Texas fight song, which became a focal point as news of its background emerged. A Longhorn tradition was to come out every game and sing the song. Following one loss only the quarterback came out. You can make the argument that there was probably distractions behind the scenes.

Advertisement
Back