Tom Herman (merged with Herman head coach candidate threads)

Here's the crazy thing. Let's look at Miami vs Texas recruiting, and then records starting in 2011:

Texas
2011 Class Rank: 4
2012 Class Rank: 2
2013 Class Rank: 14
2014 Class Rank: 12
2015 Class Rank: 10
2016 Class Rank: 7
2017 Class Rank: 25
2018 Class Rank: 3
2019 Class Rank: 3
2020 Class Rank: 8

Miami
2011 Class Rank: 33
2012 Class Rank: 10
2013 Class Rank: 17
2014 Class Rank: 17
2015 Class Rank: 25
2016 Class Rank: 22
2017 Class Rank: 12
2018 Class Rank: 8
2019 Class Rank: 27
2020 Class Rank: 16

Then let's look at the records

Texas
2011: 8-5
2012: 9-4
2013: 8-5
2014: 6-7
2015: 5-7
2016: 5-7
2017: 7-6
2018: 10-4
2019: 8-5
2020: 5-3

Miami
2011: 6-6
2012: 7-5
2013: 9-4
2014: 6-7
2015: 8-5
2016: 9-4
2017: 10-3
2018: 7-6
2019: 6-7
2020: 7-1

The Texas Longhorns have 71 wins over the last ten seasons. The Miami Hurricanes have 75 wins.

The Texas Longhorns have 35 wins over the last five seasons. The Miami Hurricanes have 39 wins.

The Texas Longhorns have had three coaching regimes in the last ten seasons, same as the Miami Hurricanes.

Miami is underperforming versus historic standards, but what Texas has done in the last decade is significantly less with better recruiting classes and far more resources.

Advertisement
This^.

Nearly every coach I know in the Houston & Dallas areas all say the same thing about Herman that he really doesn't ingratiate himself with the 7v7 coaches & has a very prickly personality.

He pretty much leaves all his recruiting up to his assistants, my guy Coach West told me out his own mouth that he's never even spoken to Herman since he's been at UT & not talking to Coach West is the equivalent of not talking to Ricky Wiliams SR (South FL coach not the RB) & trying to recruit kids from SFE express, not smart at all.

After Herman missed on the Brockermeyer twins, that was a Defcon 1 alarm that something was up with him.

Texas has an unlimited War chest & can back up the Brinks truck for almost whoever they want, but Idk if a lot of top tier coaches would necessarily be too interested in that job because of all the micro managing that comes with it.

As funny as it sounds Hugh Freeze would be good at UT, he'd probably get fired after a couple years because he would get caught up in a scandal with some undergrads lol but he would have them beating the teams they're supposed to beat & competing with Oklahoma.
Yup Freeze is 1 of only a handful of coaches that can step in and win right away there.

This^.

Nearly every coach I know in the Houston & Dallas areas all say the same thing about Herman that he really doesn't ingratiate himself with the 7v7 coaches & has a very prickly personality.

He pretty much leaves all his recruiting up to his assistants, my guy Coach West told me out his own mouth that he's never even spoken to Herman since he's been at UT & not talking to Coach West is the equivalent of not talking to Ricky Wiliams SR (South FL coach not the RB) & trying to recruit kids from SFE express, not smart at all.

After Herman missed on the Brockermeyer twins, that was a Defcon 1 alarm that something was up with him.

Texas has an unlimited War chest & can back up the Brinks truck for almost whoever they want, but Idk if a lot of top tier coaches would necessarily be too interested in that job because of all the micro managing that comes with it.

As funny as it sounds Hugh Freeze would be good at UT, he'd probably get fired after a couple years because he would get caught up in a scandal with some undergrads lol but he would have them beating the teams they're supposed to beat & competing with Oklahoma.
When they had Quinn ewers committed and then he left I think that hurt them too

Texas runs an archaic static spread and has a robot QB with no feel for the game.

At least their defense has improved from last year when Orlando ran a base 6-man front.

Herman is a corch. You can't get outschemed like that on both sides of the ball and not be a corch. And for all the recruits they've pulled their talent level is ordinary on both sides of the ball. The only dynamic player they have is Ossai. Also they tend to fade in the 2nd half of a lot of games which indicates a S&C/culture issue.

Advertisement
Their fans seem to think Urban is in play for them. Not all of them but someone planted that seed in their heads

But..... but... his heal issues?

dying eric cartman GIF by South Park

Proves the ‘hot OC’ theory of head corch hiring stinks.

A head corch has first and foremost to be a leader, decisive and a motivator and selector of people.

Elite assistants who thrived under top leaders are really tough gambits. Was it them, or Meyer, Saban or whoever who deserves the credit?
But he did have success in his first stop as a HC.

His situation is bizarre. He seemed about as sure a thing as possible to being a solid HC

A head corch has first and foremost to be a leader, decisive and a motivator and selector of people.

Elite assistants who thrived under top leaders are really tough gambits. Was it them, or Meyer, Saban or whoever who deserves the credit?
Kind of funny that two of the hottest assistants of recent time have involved Austin and both have turned out to be absolute head corches. Herman and the great Bill Muschump.

Advertisement
Maybe you’re not examining the ‘success’ properly?

Inherited a good team. Went backwards year 2. Success?
He inherited an 8-5 team then proceeded to have a 1 loss season with a bowl victory over a top 10 team. In his second season, his team went 9-3 which was a slight drop, but victories included those over two top 10 teams at the time the games were played. He also improved recruiting there quite a bit. Yes, I would consider that success for a program like Houston.

He inherited an 8-5 team then proceeded to have a 1 loss season with a bowl victory over a top 10 team. In his second season, his team went 9-3 which was a slight drop, but victories included those over two top 10 teams at the time the games were played. He also improved recruiting there quite a bit. Yes, I would consider that success for a program like Houston.
That's because he was kissing his players in Houston as they came out of the locker room. They put a stop to that ***goty **** at Texas. Truth be told, I think he was breathing some Methamphetamine into his players mouths at Houston.

Advertisement
I like Campbell hope he stays. He could be a lifer at ISU. A kirk ferenz of ISU.

Not sure if he has what it takes for the NFL but you maybe right that's where he ends up...
He was real emotional after the game. I think he realizes this is his last year at ISU. What an amazing coach. Great offensive mind. Great evaluator and developer of talent. Talk about doing more with less.

He finds great under the radar RBs and tall receivers. He's going to make some fanbase very happy.

Except he had success as a HC too

Sounds like the Al Golden @ Temple story. I ain’t going to go back and look at who was ‘top ten’ at the time they played. The bowl game you celebrate was against FSU in free fall. All I know is it was reasonably clear to me that the Herman is a hero narrative was wobbly when Texas came calling. If I could see that from a distance, I’m assuming they might have noticed it close up.

I happened to have had huge expectations for Herman when he left OSU. But by the time he took the texas job you could smell the stink starting to seep out.

Advertisement
UT could have put the game away in the 3rd qtr. instead, they became UTI and made an excuse to gift the game away.
What i see from this once "proud program" is they are SLOW on Defense and Special Teams. The same thing with Nebraska.

He was real emotional after the game. I think he realizes this is his last year at ISU. What an amazing coach. Great offensive mind. Great evaluator and developer of talent. Talk about doing more with less.

He finds great under the radar RBs and tall receivers. He's going to make some fanbase very happy.
Like a Michigan’s?

Texas are star gazers for any program to be great you have to be able to evaluate talent and heart! Develop the talent and put them schematically in position to win. It’s not easy at all! You can be a great motivational speaker but if you can’t evaluate talent and teach X’s and O’s! You won’t succeed

Advertisement
Back