Tom Herman (merged with Herman head coach candidate threads)

Advertisement
I live in Austin and have a buddy on staff. Herman was everyone's first choice 4 years ago but he came with a reputation of being an absolute prick and extremely difficult to work with/play under. He hasn't really endeared himself to the city/fanbase either and that was something that made Mack iconic. This obviously doesn't matter much when you're winning but when you're 21-13 and had huge expectations coming in, it's another story.

Texas has to money to move on from him and I fully expect them to do so at this point. Jimbo has things humming in College Station finally and Baylor and TCU aren't going anywhere either. Not sure who'd they target but Urban will at some point get a courtesy call with little chance he entertains. Patterson from TCU would be an incredible hire but doubt he ever leaves Fort Worth.
Key to success according to many on this board. Coach has to yell and scream and be an *******....

Herman seems to choke in the big games.. But it's crazy how a coach like Herman is struggling when he first got the job, ppl was talking like he was the coach in college football, it just shows that a lot of these coaches who gets praise aren't really that good.. But the fanbase will doubt a 7-1 Manny!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
I live in Austin and have a buddy on staff. Herman was everyone's first choice 4 years ago but he came with a reputation of being an absolute prick and extremely difficult to work with/play under. He hasn't really endeared himself to the city/fanbase either and that was something that made Mack iconic. This obviously doesn't matter much when you're winning but when you're 21-13 and had huge expectations coming in, it's another story.

Texas has to money to move on from him and I fully expect them to do so at this point. Jimbo has things humming in College Station finally and Baylor and TCU aren't going anywhere either. Not sure who'd they target but Urban will at some point get a courtesy call with little chance he entertains. Patterson from TCU would be an incredible hire but doubt he ever leaves Fort Worth.
This^.

Nearly every coach I know in the Houston & Dallas areas all say the same thing about Herman that he really doesn't ingratiate himself with the 7v7 coaches & has a very prickly personality.

He pretty much leaves all his recruiting up to his assistants, my guy Coach West told me out his own mouth that he's never even spoken to Herman since he's been at UT & not talking to Coach West is the equivalent of not talking to Ricky Wiliams SR (South FL coach not the RB) & trying to recruit kids from SFE express, not smart at all.

After Herman missed on the Brockermeyer twins, that was a Defcon 1 alarm that something was up with him.

Texas has an unlimited War chest & can back up the Brinks truck for almost whoever they want, but Idk if a lot of top tier coaches would necessarily be too interested in that job because of all the micro managing that comes with it.

As funny as it sounds Hugh Freeze would be good at UT, he'd probably get fired after a couple years because he would get caught up in a scandal with some undergrads lol but he would have them beating the teams they're supposed to beat & competing with Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Yes...he was extremely detail oriented and would go after players on the most minor things during summer camp during Year 1. Part of establishing the culture, as it was said. He was compared to Belichick in that regard that summer. That said, that's two disciplinarian coaches in a row that the Longhorns have had. Strong was tough in his own way after Texas was perceived to have become entitled and soft in the last years of the Brown regime. He removed the smoothie machine from the players lounge. He made the players walk the quarter of the mile journey to the practice bubble, versus the leather-seated bus that they previously took. And he kicked 9 players off the team in Year 1.

Advertisement
This^.

Nearly every coach I know in the Houston & Dallas areas all say the same thing about Herman that he really doesn't ingratiate himself with the 7v7 coaches & has a very prickly personality.

He pretty much leaves all his recruiting up to his assistants, my guy Coach West told me out his own mouth that he's never even spoken to Herman since he's been at UT & not talking to Coach West is the equivalent of not talking to Ricky Wiliams & trying to recruit kids from SFE express, not smart at all.

After Herman missed on the Brockermeyer twins, that was a Defcon 1 alarm that something was up with him.

Texas has an unlimited War chest & can back up the Brinks truck for almost whoever they want, but Idk if a lot of top tier coaches would necessarily be too interested in that job because of all the micro managing that comes with it.

As funny as it sounds Hugh Freeze would be good at UT, he'd probably get fired after a couple years because he would get caught up in a scandal with some undergrads lol but he would have them beating the teams they're supposed to beat & competing with Oklahoma.
That is one thing about Mack Brown...he was excellent about building and maintaining relationships with high school coaches. One of the first things he did when his team won the NC was to thank the Texas high school coaches. An excellent CEO in that regard.

Advertisement
He was a Head Coach at Houston before getting the Texas job.
I realize that. He inheroted a good team, went backwards in year 2 and got out of town before the bloom was fully off his rose. Highlights the idiocy of Tejas Admin even more, imo.

I like Campbell hope he stays. He could be a lifer at ISU. A kirk ferenz of ISU.

Not sure if he has what it takes for the NFL but you maybe right that's where he ends up...
I like Campbell a lot, too. But ISU is not a lifer program. If it was Dan McCarney would probably still be the coach.

I’m constantly baffled that both Texas and Michigan do not dominate CFB year in and year out when you have athletic departments that produce over 100 million...
Texas is confusing because they have a serious recruiting advantage compared to most schools and the conference is top heavy. Michigan really isn't surprising as a) they have to recruit nationally while not being nationally relevant and b) they really struggle to successfully recruit the talent in Michigan. I think they only project to get maybe 3 of the top 15 in-state recruits this cycle. Hard to win like that. And if you can't win, you can't become nationally relevant. Vicious circle.

Texas has everything Alabama has from a monetary, infrastructure, facilities, fanbase, and moneyed booster network that Alabama has. ****, they quite likely have more.

So what’s the difference?

Clearly it is coaching plus a booster culture that is too involved. You pick a coach and let him succeed or fail on his own. I get the sense that they micromanage and breathe down the coaching and sports administration necks in subtle and not-so-subtle ways all the time. That’s just my feeling, and I don’t think that works.

Advertisement
Back