Thoughts on the King injury

I reviewed the film on the King injury and looked at the slow motion replay. As an aside, I am an orthopedic surgeon.

A few things I gathered:

1. Truly a freak injury. Probably a move he has made thousands of times in his career without incident.

2. It is definitely concerning regarding a possible ACL injury as he was pivoting when the knee gave out.

BUT

A couple of factors that are giving me hope that it may not be as bad as expected.

1. It is possible that the MCL or medial meniscus could only be injured, without the ACL involved. That is because his knee seemed to buckle medially, meaning toward his other leg.

2. It is taking a long time for an official announcement on the injury status, which could mean that there are multiple treatment options for the injury at hand, which is typical for meniscus injuries as well as MCL injuries. This could mean that he is waiting on second opinions on treatment options which would correlate with these other injuries.

Complete ACL injuries do not require multiple opinions, as they are always treated surgically in the athletic population.

Anyway, just a few thoughts as we all sit here praying that it is NOT an ACL injury.

A couple of medical questions:

1. Is it "encouraging" that he was able to walk to the locker room without a brace (I realize he spent the second half in a brace and using crutches), it just seems like the pre-halftime walk might indicate a less catastrophic injury?

2. Is it "encouraging" that he came out during the second half, in the sense that a more serious injury might cause a doctor to recommend no ambulatory movement and/or risk-taking on the sidelines (players often run out of bounds and crash into people)?

3. Do you agree with me that we should have been awarded an automatic first down on that play?

Thanks for your insights!

Advertisement
I agree with the first part and respect your opinion but disagree that the official announcement timing means anything. We never knew AR82's injury until he released it, Donaldson all we heard was "lower extremity injury" same with Lingard. Safe to say both of them had some ligament damage UM just is weird about releasing that stuff.

Are you serious? First, he used the word "could" multiple times. Second, he indicated that the timing COULD indicate that multiple treatment options COULD be available, which is not only a positive thing generally, but also requires more time for consideration. And then you try to compare King's knee injury to Richards' neck injury? I would definitely encourage anyone with a neck injury to get multiple opinions, particularly when any of those opinions involve "you'll never play football again".

While you're here.....recently when I run my legs from the knee down and mainly in my shins feel like they're turning to pure concrete and go completely stiff. Any idea? You can bill my Florida Blue.

Did you go to the same doctor that this woman visited?

Advertisement
I think most know this condition as “Miami hands” because it most often impacts the hands of WRs. Occasionally, we see it in the legs of LBs and DBs. You should declare for the draft immediately.

Yes, that condition proved fatal to George Robinson.

A couple of medical questions:

1. Is it "encouraging" that he was able to walk to the locker room without a brace (I realize he spent the second half in a brace and using crutches), it just seems like the pre-halftime walk might indicate a less catastrophic injury?
I wouldnt read much into it. I watched my wife tear her acl and finish out a softball game. When i tore my knee up i was able to walk a minute later but it took a long while to get right.

Are you serious? First, he used the word "could" multiple times. Second, he indicated that the timing COULD indicate that multiple treatment options COULD be available, which is not only a positive thing generally, but also requires more time for consideration. And then you try to compare King's knee injury to Richards' neck injury? I would definitely encourage anyone with a neck injury to get multiple opinions, particularly when any of those opinions involve "you'll never play football again".

I realize he said "could" I can read but I did miss the part where I was talking to your white knighting ***. I simply stated an opinion that I disagree that because the "official" injury was not announced a day later that it had an impact on the seriousness. I realize AR had multiple opinions but even after those opinions UM never released ANYTHING about the specifics of his injury. Same with Donaldson, same with Lingard. Both those guys had ACL's why didn't UM release those details?

It wasn't a shot at him at all, more so at the way UM handles injuries it is like fort knox, we never really know unless the kid himself comes out and states what the injury was other than that we will get "upper extremity" and "lower extremity". **** even this year look at Knighton, it was first reported a shoulder sprain, yet 4 weeks later dude is still in a sling on the sideline. Personally I don't care to guess his injury, I just think he is a great player, teammate, and person and want him healthy for his own wellbeing.

I'm confused trying to read the tea leaves here.

Was the report of less serious injury confirmed by @SouthParkCane or is that still unknown at this point and the Steve Feinberg news story was BS?

Advertisement
I wouldnt read much into it. I watched my wife tear her acl and finish out a softball game. When i tore my knee up i was able to walk a minute later but it took a long while to get right.

I hear what you are saying, but D-1 football has doctors right there. I could understand if King chose to walk to the locker room, but once a doctor has examined him, it would seem counter-productive to just let him walk around on the sideline of a football game if it could make things worse.

Anyhow, that's why I was asking the orthopedic surgeon. Just curious.

I realize he said "could" I can read but I did miss the part where I was talking to your white knighting ***. I simply stated an opinion that I disagree that because the "official" injury was not announced a day later that it had an impact on the seriousness. I realize AR had multiple opinions but even after those opinions UM never released ANYTHING about the specifics of his injury. Same with Donaldson, same with Lingard. Both those guys had ACL's why didn't UM release those details?

It wasn't a shot at him at all, more so at the way UM handles injuries it is like fort knox, we never really know unless the kid himself comes out and states what the injury was other than that we will get "upper extremity" and "lower extremity". **** even this year look at Knighton, it was first reported a shoulder sprain, yet 4 weeks later dude is still in a sling on the sideline. Personally I don't care to guess his injury, I just think he is a great player, teammate, and person and want him healthy for his own wellbeing.

Did I miss the part where you stated your medical credentials? Or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

I'm confused trying to read the tea leaves here.

Was the report of less serious injury confirmed by @SouthParkCane or is that still unknown at this point and the Steve Feinberg news story was BS?

Steve’s tweet was BS. Not saying anything bad about him personally, he may have just misheard something...who knows. But he said he heard on the news that the injury is not serious. That’s not true. No one has reported that.

SouthPark has a personal connection to King’s family. He didn’t want to post anything specific, but he said he hit “agree” immediately on OP’s post saying it may not be an ACL. So, that’s encouraging. If it’s not an ACL, the kid is INSANELY lucky. Because it looks on video like a clear as day ACL rupture. But as I’ve said 100x, very rarely, the video does lie. MRIs do not. So just continue to hold your breath.

Did I miss the part where you stated your medical credentials? Or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

My credentials are the same as yours boss. I never commented or speculated to his injury. But feel free to deflect with your old played out jabs its what you are good at when you lose an argument.

I can however read UM's medical reports and in recent years have not seen any "official" announcement say "X player tore his ACL" If you have, feel free to prove me wrong.

Lastly, could the inverse not be true? The doc hinted that it was taking a long time which could mean multiple treatment options which is typical for meniscus or MCL, he stated that just below his first point that its possible the meniscus or MCL are the only injuries inferring less serious than an ACL. As you just mentioned AR had multiple opinions because he had a bad injury, for all we know it is a bad injury with multiple ligaments and that is why he needs multiple opinions and thus a delayed announcement, not just because it is only an MCL or meniscus. I didn't question his medical expertise, just disagreed that because the timing of an official UM report was not released within 24 hours that it has any bearing on the severity.

Advertisement
My credentials are the same as yours boss. I never commented or speculated to his injury. But feel free to deflect with your old played out jabs its what you are good at when you lose an argument.

I can however read UM's medical reports and in recent years have not seen any "official" announcement say "X player tore his ACL" If you have, feel free to prove me wrong.

Lastly, could the inverse not be true? The doc hinted that it was taking a long time which could mean multiple treatment options which is typical for meniscus or MCL, he stated that just below his first point that its possible the meniscus or MCL are the only injuries inferring less serious than an ACL. As you just mentioned AR had multiple opinions because he had a bad injury, for all we know it is a bad injury with multiple ligaments and that is why he needs multiple opinions and thus a delayed announcement, not just because it is only an MCL or meniscus. I didn't question his medical expertise, just disagreed that because the timing of an official UM report was not released within 24 hours that it has any bearing on the severity.

Look, you've never read a single UM medical report. You've seen some press releases, and you've compared the dates of press releases to the dates of the injuries. That's it.

An orthopedic surgeon posted a well-written analysis filled with caveats. You then "respectfully" disagreed with him because you are some self-appointed expert on reading press releases.

But, hey, you're going to keep doing your thing. Continue to mope and worry and argue with doctors because another day passes without an official UM press release. What a joke.

4F68525F-3266-4E4F-9A81-43064712C593.jpeg

Advertisement
Worst case scenario ****. No way he is back for Bama. We need to start back up and then let King work his way back for hopefully the ACC stretch of our schedule.

this sucks so bad.

Advertisement
Back