Thoughts on the King injury

I reviewed the film on the King injury and looked at the slow motion replay. As an aside, I am an orthopedic surgeon.

A few things I gathered:

1. Truly a freak injury. Probably a move he has made thousands of times in his career without incident.

2. It is definitely concerning regarding a possible ACL injury as he was pivoting when the knee gave out.

BUT

A couple of factors that are giving me hope that it may not be as bad as expected.

1. It is possible that the MCL or medial meniscus could only be injured, without the ACL involved. That is because his knee seemed to buckle medially, meaning toward his other leg.

2. It is taking a long time for an official announcement on the injury status, which could mean that there are multiple treatment options for the injury at hand, which is typical for meniscus injuries as well as MCL injuries. This could mean that he is waiting on second opinions on treatment options which would correlate with these other injuries.

Complete ACL injuries do not require multiple opinions, as they are always treated surgically in the athletic population.

Anyway, just a few thoughts as we all sit here praying that it is NOT an ACL injury.

Advertisement
I reviewed the film on the King injury and looked at the slow motion replay. As an aside, I am an orthopedic surgeon.

A few things I gathered:

1. Truly a freak injury. Probably a move he has made thousands of times in his career without incident.

2. It is definitely concerning regarding a possible ACL injury as he was pivoting when the knee gave out.

BUT

A couple of factors that are giving me hope that it may not be as bad as expected.

1. It is possible that the MCL or medial meniscus could only be injured, without the ACL involved. That is because his knee seemed to buckle medially, meaning toward his other leg.

2. It is taking a long time for an official announcement on the injury status, which could mean that there are multiple treatment options for the injury at hand, which is typical for meniscus injuries as well as MCL injuries. This could mean that he is waiting on second opinions on treatment options which would correlate with these other injuries.

Complete ACL injuries do not require multiple opinions, as they are always treated surgically in the athletic population.

Anyway, just a few thoughts as we all sit here praying that it is NOT an ACL injury.
Who is Miami's Orthopod?

Dr Uribe?

Advertisement

A few things I gathered:

BUT

buster keaton youre welcome GIF by Maudit

A few things I gathered:

BUT

Is it safe to say that these days the recovery time for ACL tears is a lot closer to the 8 month time frame? I know a lot depends on the individual and how their body responds to the surgery and probably a lot is mental once you get to the point where you can start running and cutting. Seemed like Lingard (MCL injury i think) never really was the same player again but then you have a guy like Amari Rogers at Clemson that came back in under 6 months...its crazy how much it varies

Advertisement

A few things I gathered:

BUT

If it’s an MCL issue, what’s the recovery time look like for that injury?

A few things I gathered:

BUT

While you're here.....recently when I run my legs from the knee down and mainly in my shins feel like they're turning to pure concrete and go completely stiff. Any idea? You can bill my Florida Blue.

Advertisement

A few things I gathered:

BUT

I agree with the first part and respect your opinion but disagree that the official announcement timing means anything. We never knew AR82's injury until he released it, Donaldson all we heard was "lower extremity injury" same with Lingard. Safe to say both of them had some ligament damage UM just is weird about releasing that stuff.

Who is Miami's Orthopod?

Dr Uribe?
I have 3 scars on my knee that Dr Uribe put there out of the 9 scars on both knees .I since have had both knees replaced and I’m going in again next month because one of the pins at the bottom is working it’s way loose.

so when I saw him go down yesterday I immediately thought ACL and was praying his MCL wasn’t torn also.

science has improved greatly over the years so depending on what else was injured 6-8 months is probably doable with the rehab equipment and therapies that will be at his disposal.

I just hope the Kid has an injury that will not affect him down the road in life.

Advertisement
While you're here.....recently when I run my legs from the knee down and mainly in my shins feel like they're turning to pure concrete and go completely stiff. Any idea? You can bill my Florida Blue.
Well, I’m not a doctor, but I can probably diagnose this one. It sounds like you’ve developed a rare condition in which your legs are actually turning to pure concrete. Such a shame.

The good news, though, is that you’ll be relieved when you see the bill. I don’t charge nearly as much as the other guy.

I agree with the first part and respect your opinion but disagree that the official announcement timing means anything. We never knew AR82's injury until he released it, Donaldson all we heard was "lower extremity injury" same with Lingard. Safe to say both of them had some ligament damage UM just is weird about releasing that stuff.
were any of the injuries you mentioned ACL injuries? They were not, to my knowledge. Thank you for proving my point.

Not trying to be a smart ***, but my point is that there is no point in hiding an ACL injury. All of the other injuries are more vague, and not as definitive and therefore more controversial in their treatment and more to hide.

Advertisement
Back